Which cabs would you want in the next Cab Packs? [PART 2]

Which cabs would you want in the next Cab Packs?

• Diezel 4x12 with front-loaded Vintage 30 Speakers

Votes: 23 27.7%
  • Orange 4x12 with G12K100 Speakers

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Orange 4x12 with Vintage 30 Speakers

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Marshall 1960B 4x12 with G12T75 Speakers

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Marshall 1960VB 4x12 with Vintage 30 Speakers

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • EVH 5150 4x12 with G12EVH Speakers

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • A proper bass cab like Ampeg 4x10 something something?

Votes: 23 27.7%

• Total voters
I'm definitely taking in some requests and will add them to the next poll and if enough people want them I'm making them. :)

I'd certainly be down for a 1x12 or 2x12, or even a 1x10 combo pack with Clark's unique take on IR production.

He's obviously a master at producing some great sound 4x12 cab IR's, so I'd think for me, between the packs 7 and 8 I think I'd be pretty well covered with 4x12's, and would love to have some totally different tonal options like a small open back cab

Miking a 4x12 is not different than miking a smaller cab in my technique. There are many reasons why I've concentrated on 4x12 cabs for now. Fitting a huge sound in a small box (Axe-Fx) is probably what the majority of people are going for in here and obviously that makes it a priority. I've owned two Mesa 2x12 cabs and an Orange 2x12 and got to compare them to their 4x12 counterparts. In all my comparisons the bigger cabinets sound more balanced and have a sweeter presence area. Obviously the 4x12s have more depth to them. Also 4 speakers mean that there are 4 times more tonal variety than in a 1x12 cab and twice as much tonal variety than in a 2x12 cab.

This doesn't mean that I have anything against smaller cabs. If many people want a specific smaller cab I'll create a Cab Pack of it. :)

Looks like I can borrow my friends Ampeg rig in a week or so.... SVT and 4x10 IIRC.

I will most likely do the Ampeg first because of the opportunity that I have.

This one? Ampeg: Classic Series - SVT-410HLF

I`m curious about the results and how you will capture this! Our Bass-Player has this one. Those cabs have 1" HFDrivers (adjustable, w/ level-adjustment at the rear). So, not that easy to capture i believe. In fact it`s a adjustable 2-way system ...

Ampeg says:
Frequency Response (-3dB): 48Hz-18kHz
Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 28Hz

So, i really ask myself, if thos bass-cabs have a more "FRFR claim" and if so, how much sense would be left to capture such cabinets? This i asked myself in general: We know guitar cabinets / speaker act like a EQ-Filter, but does Bass cabinets do this in the same way?

Also: If usable low frequency starts at -10db / 28Hz ...this means your FRFR Sytem you will use with captures from such a cabinet must reproduce this bandwidth similiar, or you have to question the whole Cab-IR / FRFR paradigm for the bass-cab-ir department?

I will follow this with excitement :)

This one? Ampeg: Classic Series - SVT-410HLF

I`m curious about the results and how you will capture this! Our Bass-Player has this one. Those cabs have 1" HFDrivers (adjustable, w/ level-adjustment at the rear). So, not that easy to capture i believe. In fact it`s a adjustable 2-way system ...

Ampeg says:
Frequency Response (-3dB): 48Hz-18kHz
Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 28Hz

So, i really ask myself, if thos bass-cabs have a more "FRFR claim" and if so, how much sense would be left to capture such cabinets? This i asked myself in general: We know guitar cabinets / speaker act like a EQ-Filter, but does Bass cabinets do this in the same way?

Also: If usable low frequency starts at -10db / 28Hz ...this means your FRFR Sytem you will use with captures from such a cabinet must reproduce this bandwidth similiar, or you have to question the whole Cab-IR / FRFR paradigm for the bass-cab-ir department?

I will follow this with excitement :)

It's definitely going to be interesting. The most common mics that are being used for miking bass cabs seem to be the MD421, SM57, a subkick (I have one!) and the most expensive mics people can find just to make the signal chain more credible. :lol The Royer is awesome at picking low end so I'm sure it'll work great with a bass cab too. For those extreme lows that you're talking about people are using the DI signal and a subkick. I think DIs are kind of a lazy route to take and will not get you the most natural bass sound but people are really lazy with bass tone anyways. I would love to change that. I would love to make getting a better bass tone fast and easy for people. :) The philosophy that I have for miking a guitar cab works in the exact same way for bass cabs too. The tweeter however... I need to test it. I don't think anyone mics the tweeters do they? That just seems a bit stupid. I suppose it's there to make the cab more full range but bass cabs are definitely FRFR. There's an obvious coloring.

It's going to be interesting for sure. :) I like a challenge. People don't usually spend that much time miking bass cabs. Maybe I can do the work for other people since people seem to always be in a hurry when recording bass. :lol

Miking a 4x12 is not different than miking a smaller cab in my technique. There are many reasons why I've concentrated on 4x12 cabs for now. Fitting a huge sound in a small box (Axe-Fx) is probably what the majority of people are going for in here and obviously that makes it a priority. I've owned two Mesa 2x12 cabs and an Orange 2x12 and got to compare them to their 4x12 counterparts. In all my comparisons the bigger cabinets sound more balanced and have a sweeter presence area. Obviously the 4x12s have more depth to them. Also 4 speakers mean that there are 4 times more tonal variety than in a 1x12 cab and twice as much tonal variety than in a 2x12 cab.

This doesn't mean that I have anything against smaller cabs. If many people want a specific smaller cab I'll create a Cab Pack of it. :)

I think that its just for me, you've already done (though I don't have cab pack 8/9 yet) such great work with the current stuff I really can't imagine needing any more 4x12 cab sounds. Would I still buy more ? Probably, but not for wanting more 4x12 sounds.

I'd like to get some stuff that is a total 180 degree change from these nice big cabinet tones. Something like a 1x10 combo amp for instance. I certainly enjoy bigger cabs, and usually would play my BF Bassman through a 4x12 GB cab, but I equally used to enjoy the sound of my Princeton Reverb. Totally different sound than another Fender amp coming through the Marshall 4x12.

By most metrics I'd say it was "worse" as it sounded a lot smaller, could get kind of boxy etc, but I actually kind of dug that about it. Just was something kind of refreshing playing a little combo amp (which now are actually worth a good penny) that hardly anyone wanted.

I actually really like the 1x8 Dano in the Cabs in the Attic pack. I'd really be curious to see how a CK offering of small speaker/open back cabs would turn out. Likely would be pretty sweet with something like a bender fuzz pedal in front, all kind of ratty sounding and stuff.

I feel like the big modern rock tones I've always been chasing have finally been nailed (CP 7 was a big part of that) so now I'd like to totally flip it around and get some "lo-fi" or retro, or whatever trendy buzz word people are using right now.

I would love to make getting a better bass tone fast and easy for people. :) The philosophy that I have for miking a guitar cab works in the exact same way for bass cabs too.

It's going to be interesting for sure. :) I like a challenge. People don't usually spend that much time miking bass cabs. Maybe I can do the work for other people since people seem to always be in a hurry when recording bass. :lol

Please do this for bassists! PLEASE! LOL. There are some ultra res IRs on the exchange which show promise. Since FAS doesn't appear to have set a priority for creating ultrares IRs for bass, I think this would be a welcome addition that is long overdue. TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Last edited:
Just bought Cab Pack 7
Will buy Cab Pack 8
Probably will hold out for Bass Cab Pack 'X' whenever that happens
...and maybe a Fender 1x12

Anything else is fluff, IMO!

Just bought Cab Pack 7
Will buy Cab Pack 8
Probably will hold out for Bass Cab Pack 'X' whenever that happens
...and maybe a Fender 1x12

Anything else is fluff, IMO!

That's great man! Cab Pack 9 is also a guitar cab. The "Boaner" 4x12 with V30s. ;)

Haha good point. I don't usually gravitate towards Bogner cabs, but I could see myself using it in stereo with a Mesa on Alter Bridge riffs or something. Bogner cab is cool for sure, just not high on my personal list :)

BTW - Cab Pack 7 is perfect for what I need. Too bad it won't have the fancy non-MPT thing, lol! good job though!

Haha good point. I don't usually gravitate towards Bogner cabs, but I could see myself using it in stereo with a Mesa on Alter Bridge riffs or something. Bogner cab is cool for sure, just not high on my personal list :)

BTW - Cab Pack 7 is perfect for what I need. Too bad it won't have the fancy non-MPT thing, lol! good job though!

Well the difference is subtle between non-MPT and MPT. Let's just say that I wouldn't bet money on it. However there is a difference and you can see it in the waveform easily. Loop the same riff twice through it and check the waveform. More snap and attack on the non-MPT one. Ofcourse it depends on the tone. Over the top high gain doesn't really have much dynamics to begin with so then it might be harder to notice it.

I would vote, but my "choice" isn't listed ;-)

I would love a sampler cab pack which would contain a (smaller) selection of mixes from cab packs 7, 8 and 9 (and 10?)

Please add to the poll to get a feel for how popular that could be... maybe I'm in the minority...

I would vote, but my "choice" isn't listed ;-)

I would love a sampler cab pack which would contain a (smaller) selection of mixes from cab packs 7, 8 and 9 (and 10?)

Please add to the poll to get a feel for how popular that could be... maybe I'm in the minority...

I think there are two things coming that fit what you're asking for. ;)

The all Aluminium cone 1 × 15 and 4 ×10/12 would benefit greatly from the CK approach for both bassists and guitarists. I used the 15 for years on both guitar and bass and it was a really great sound. No one is doing those "hearty" cabinet and speaker combinations justice right now in the ir world.

Back
Top Bottom