Which block for volume boost?

Random Hero

Inspired
I've used Vol 2 set before the last block which is usually the cab, and boosted it 3.5dB for solos etc but I've seen that some people seem to use a filter block as a boost? How does that work? Which filter block and why is that superior than volume?

Also I guess I should run it AFTER the cab right? So it's not smashing the speakers in the cab and making those react different?

I use the filter block for a solo boost. I either set the filter to null (no EQ filtering) and the level to +3db or I set the filter to give a 1db boost at 2k and set the level to +2.5db. It depends on the patch. I like using the filter block because it does not take a lot of CPU and I have 2 of them at my disposal.

By default the filter block doesn't add or subtract anything from your tone. I use one globally to lower the output, and also I can turn it off to raise the output on any patch. Also I use them for a solo boost.

Does the volume block add/subtract from the tone when boosted? I felt like it seems brighter which is why I posted the initial question.

Does the volume block add/subtract from the tone when boosted? I felt like it seems brighter which is why I posted the initial question.
No it doesn't change the tone - it's neutral in that respect. What you're like experiencing is the Fletcher-Munson effect.

Yes FM probably the cause - easy way to test is to manually turn up your main output level to roughly the same level as the vol boost block would do - you'll very likely hear the same effect.

Back
Top Bottom