Which band for in ears?

svl

Power User
Looking to get a new in ear system, wondering if anyone had an opinion on which band to get? Leaning towards the Sennheiser EW300 G3, but confused as to whether I should get the A, B or G band.

Also open to hearing about better units than the Senn.

Many thanks in advance.

That mostly depends on which city/region you live in and will be playing most. The frequencies overlap with digital TV signals. I'm not familiar with Sennheiser, but Shure has a page on their site to find the best band (of their gear) for your region.

The EW300 G3 is what I use, and *love* it. Also, possibly more importantly is to get good earbuds. I like my 1964 Ears Qi's, but there are a ton of options out there. Westone is another popular brand. The ones that come with the EW300 G3 aren't bad per se, there's just a lot better out there. I recommend custom fitting ones if you can swing it. If you go with universal, make sure to take a good amount of time to get them fitting as well as possible. The tighter the seal and better fit, the better they will sound.

Thanks, everyone. I had already read the above links, and run scans from the Senn site for my area. It just seems like EVERY band is crowded, but obviously acts everywhere are using wireless IEMS, mics, etc, so all three bands must work- just wondering which (at the moment) is the best, or, which band YOU are using that works incredibly well for you at least.

or, which band YOU are using that works incredibly well for you at least.
The THREE of us in my band with Senn G3's have the "G" band.. based on data provided for our area by the Senn frequency finder
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/service-support-frequency-finder
That was my post on TB (if you hadn't figured that out!) :)

What I (we) did was to look at the results for Dallas, TX (which is where we are based).
If you look at the 2nd image of that post, there's a lot of "green". Those are unoccupied frequencies. In other words, using frequencies that are "green" will minimize outside interference from TV stations.
G - band is 556-608 Mhz. It's almost completely open (green) in that frequency band.
A - band is 516-558 Mhz. There's one TV station in that band..
B - band is 626-668 Mhz. There's 3 frequency ranges in use by TV stations in the area.

You can also look at the TV stations transmission power (Kw) and the impact radius. If you are outside those ranges, you will get less interference, maybe none. Best to avoid them tho'..

You will NOT get interference from smart phones as they use 2.4 or 5.0 Ghz ranges for wireless. In making my choice I also checked other zip codes in our area to see what came up. The "G" band was the most open. We went with those.
I have had ZERO interference since going with the G3.
Depending on your locale, YMMV!

PS: There's also a way (if forget if that's on the Senn site or what the URL is) that lets you enter a venue address. It then displays the transmission direction of the local TV stations factoring in Station transmission output to estimate wireless impact in your chosen band at that location.

Note that is you have multiple units working, you WILL need to ensure that each unit is on a different frequency, or you'll be hearing someone else's mix!

Back
Top Bottom