Which Audio Interface Is Your Favorite with Axe-Fx III?

I bought the first iteration of the RME Fireface UFX 9 years ago. They have upgraded versions a couple of times over the years.

I have had exactly ZERO issues with the unit. Mic Pre's are awesome. World class drivers. Intensive and comprehensive TotalMix mixing/utility software. Great customer support etc etc etc...

The only negative thing I can say about it was the price. They are definitely not cheap. However, that high cost came with zero issues in my case and that to me is priceless!

Thanks for the input everyone. I finally did pull the trigger and go with the Focusrite 8Pre USB. It is so wonderful to not be constantly plugging and unplugging cables. I do think it sounds a bit better than the 2i2, both for the guitar and mics.

As some recommended, I would have loved to go with a Universal Audio interface, but they are so expensive for the ones with more inputs, and I don't have Thunderbolt on my PC. Was looking to spend no more than a grand, max.

I had a similar issue, so I opted for a Focusrite Clarett 8Pre USB. I now have more inputs than I need, and that's fine :)
I going to get the Clarett 8 Pre USB next week. I would like to use it as my main interface. I was thinking of going Axe SPDIF OUT to Clarett SPDIF IN. I never used SPDIF before, so would it be correct to have the Clarett being the Master Clock and the Axe the Slave in this scenario?

Well, there can be only one ;-)

Attachments

• 157708023_4196592917052490_5313339453701670923_o.jpg
    157708023_4196592917052490_5313339453701670923_o.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 42
Thank you. So I am really looking forward to use SPDIF in the future and the Clarett as main Audiointerface because I have become aware of the fact that the AxeFx3 does not report usb latency to logic. So you have to manually adjust it via the Recording Delay Settings. This scares me a little bit. ;) And I hope that the Focusrite Driver for the Clarett reports the correct Latency to Logic so that Logic automatically compensates.

I have the Clarett four preamp USB one and it reports latency fine in Reaper on Windows. I use an Apollo 6 whatever thunderbolt on mac.

Lots of Apollo users here. I run a UA Apollo Quad with a Thunderbolt card installed. Very nice and it has all the plugins I need atm running inside of it, instead of the Mac. :)

Used a Steinberg UR22 for years, great low cost option if you just need a couple of channels. Needing more channels, I tried the Scarlett 8i6 and Audient ID14 side by side and kept the Audient. Now looking at mic preamps for expansion. Does it ever end? :nomouth:

Leaving something on will generally make it last longer because it's components are not going through the expanding and shrinking phenomenon caused by temperature change between on and off modes.
Nope. Components don’t care about any of that. That’s why this “expansion” stuff is not found anywhere in their spec. One thing that’s in the spec is hours rating for electrolytic capacitors. High quality ones are rated for 10000 hours or more at their rated voltage and temperature (usually no less than 85C, though 105C is also common). Below their rated voltage and temperature they work much longer than that, and 10K hour limit is not to failure, but to a predetermined reduction in capacitance. The reverse is also true - in a poorly designed circuit (such as amps from decades ago) power supply capacitors are sometimes operated beyond their spec, which shortens their service life.

Note that non-electrolytic capacitors last forever.

Had a metric halo 2882 that I used for a long time now upgraded to ULN8. Great company and love the way they continue to upgrade their units

Had a metric halo 2882 that I used for a long time now upgraded to ULN8. Great company and love the way they continue to upgrade their units
Besides my ULN8 I’ve got a 20 year old 2882. They sent a couple of boards that I popped in myself and now it has all the capabilities of a brand new unit.
Future proof indeed!

Thank you. So I am really looking forward to use SPDIF in the future and the Clarett as main Audiointerface because I have become aware of the fact that the AxeFx3 does not report usb latency to logic. So you have to manually adjust it via the Recording Delay Settings. This scares me a little bit. ;) And I hope that the Focusrite Driver for the Clarett reports the correct Latency to Logic so that Logic automatically compensates.
With all due respect, that’s an odd reason to give up on using the AxeFX as your interface. Using usb instead of spdif has advantages, particularly for reamping. Adjusting the recording delay is a simple adjustment for the AxeFX so there’s no reason to be scared :).

I was using a Presonus 1824 USB interface, but couldn't use it just to monitor audio without the PC running.

I switched to a MOTU 828es and have been very happy with it. It does have a bit of a steep learning curve, but reading the manual and a ticket to tech support helped me out.

BTW: I've been pleased with MOTU tech support, they even sent me a custom video to explain how to configure the 828es to suit me, setup for re-amping, etc.

I use the SPDIF input instead of USB, since it's not easy to use multiple USB audio devices at the same time on Windows.

Back
Top Bottom