Which Audio Interface Is Your Favorite with Axe-Fx III?

For example, after laying down some guitar/bass tracks on the AxeFx, then I have to unplug one XLR from the back of it so I can then attach my mic. And I have a keyboard now, so same deal, and I want to be able to also have my Kemper always plugged in as well. I'm hoping to get an interface that has at least 8 inputs.

I had a similar issue, so I opted for a Focusrite Clarett 8Pre USB. I now have more inputs than I need, and that's fine :)

Definitely crack, or the YouTube user was on it. I frequently do YouTube lessons/backing tracks/songs right into the III via USB, and have zero issues hearing it in the output. I've done the same on PC and Mac.
If I turn my Axe off and turn it back on, I get no usb audio. I have to reboot the computer, and then reattach my Axe FX.

I'd recommend the 8Pre if you can afford it. However, the 18i20 is about $350 cheaper and basically has the same functionality. To me, the most notable difference is that the preamps of the 8Pre are superior and the latency is slightly lower.

Roland Octacapture - Awesome - 10ins / 10outs incl spdif - does not need to be connected to a computer to operate which is not a common feature but usefull when you want to plug in quickly without starting up your computer (or could be used in live rig) - not expensive - rackable

If you really must use an external audio interface when recording the Axe, the spdif interface will give you the same perfect audio without converter degradation you get when you plug the Axe in via USB. This is a very big deal if you're using interfaces with kinda "meh" quality converts like the Scarlett line I've got.

If you can just record your guitar parts via the Axe into USB, you've got the best solution right there as you've got easy access to the dry as well as post-Axe signals, allowing for re-amping later.

I've had quite a few interfaces over the years. My current one is an Apollo x8p. Love it! Lots of inputs for recording drums and as much as I can for the full band for doing some live takes. The sound quality and is nothing short of amazing.

Sounds like you’re growing out of entry level interfaces. Do yourself a favor and get yourself a pro interface that’ll last you 10 years and you wont grow out of. I second the Apollo X8 or X8p, depending how many mic pres you think you’ll need. Run the fractal SPDIF and there will be no coloration at all.

The Apollo 8p is a nice piece of equipment. The preamps are fantastic! The only annoying thing is you will need to get a converter to go all digital. I am currently using the mic preamps but I just ordered a Hosa AES to Optical converter. This is more a limitation of the Apollo since it lacks a SPDIF or AES I/O. Down the road I will probably get another set of API preamps for my lunchbox and go through those and then into the Apollo. API preamps seem to have a sweet spot for guitar tones. Apogee is also great.

The Axe-FX III.

My Motu Ultralite Mk3 is inside a drawer.

My favorite was a RME, though. But I sold it. RME is what I would recommend if you want a trouble-free DAW (you didn't say how much you want to spend)

Last edited:
I'm pretty new to recording. Less than a year at this point. I've only had Focusrite audio interfaces so far: first a Solo, and then a 2i2. As I've started to add more equipment, I'm getting really tired of having to unplug/plug while I'm recording. It's a super drag. For example, after laying down some guitar/bass tracks on the AxeFx, then I have to unplug one XLR from the back of it so I can then attach my mic. And I have a keyboard now, so same deal, and I want to be able to also have my Kemper always plugged in as well. I'm hoping to get an interface that has at least 8 inputs.

As I've watched videos on YouTube about audio interfaces, it seems that each one seems to potentially color the sound a bit. I have noticed that when I listen to the Focusrite what I hear through it's headphone jack doesn't sound quite as good/rich as the headphone jack on the Axe. I ordered some new cables as well, as I may not be using high-enough quality XLR. Long story short, mostly interested if anyone who has perhaps used different brands of audio interfaces with their AxeFx III if they ended up having a favorite one. Ideally I'd like one that doesn't color the tone in any way, and reproduces it as exactly as possible. Though I don't know if this would also be the best choice for vocals...hmmm.

I'm on a Windows btw, and don't have Thunderbolt, so that limits my options I know.
How much money you got?

It's not my area of expertise, but my Grandfather was BIG into stereos and electronics, and he always preached that electronics were meant to stay on. His point was that the process of switching them on and off over time was what degraded the components. He would leave all of his stereo components on 24/7.
I leave my tube comps and tube mics on if I’m going to use them the next day. If they’re gonna be off for more than two days, there’s no point in using up tube life.

I leave my tube comps and tube mics on if I’m going to use them the next day. If they’re gonna be off for more than two days, there’s no point in using up tube life.
Absolutely. Tubes are a different story. Everything we had at the time was solid state. No sense in letting good tubes cook if they're not going to be in use.

Back
Top Bottom