Which are the new BE/HBE models?

I'm a little confused as to which BE/HBE models are the new ones based off of Mark Days amp.

In the firmware release notes it says:
  • Re-matched Friedman BE and HBE amp models using a newer reference amp, as the original reference amp is an early model and has questionable QC.
  • Added Friedman BE/HBE V2 models based on a Friedman BE/HBE with the “Voice” switch toggled left. The original models (based on the switch toggled right) have been renamed Friedman BE/HBE V1.

Then in his "Fractal Audio AMP models: Friedman BE and HBE (Friedman BE-100)" thread Yek says:

• The non-V1/V2 models are based on the original Marsha amp. These models are rather dark and can be very bassy. Reduce Depth and/or Negative Feedback to handle this, or use one of the EQs.

Last edited:
I believe Yek is right, although it sure seems a little confusing based on the quotes you have found. All I can say is that I like the V1 a lot more than I liked the original model that I tried when I bought the unit (on a earlier firmware).

Can't find the quote but Cliff did write that the release notes are not clear.

I'd vote for renaming the models, something like:

Friedman BE/HBE 1
Friedman BE/HBE 2 vL
Friedman BE/HBE 2 vR

The models are based on two different amps. The V1 and V2 are based on Mark Day's BE100. The other models are based on our original "Marsha". Like most boutique amp makers Friedman's designs have evolved over time with changes to the circuit. The original Marsha we have is dark and bassy with lots of lowpass filtering. The newer amp is brighter and tighter.

A name change would probably help clarify things. For now note that V1/V2 refer to the newer amp and represent the position of the Voicing switch.

It's odd. Everyone loved the old one including Mark Day. Many people even bought the axe due to marks sound.

The new ones sound better in my mark day presets which I never changed. So it must be the new fw that altered the original presets I had. Which ironically became the hbe v1 by default.

Ok I'm lost again.

What is the original hbe called now. Prior to ANY updates at all?

The models are based on two different amps. The V1 and V2 are based on Mark Day's BE100. The other models are based on our original "Marsha". Like most boutique amp makers Friedman's designs have evolved over time with changes to the circuit. The original Marsha we have is dark and bassy with lots of lowpass filtering. The newer amp is brighter and tighter.

A name change would probably help clarify things. For now note that V1/V2 refer to the newer amp and represent the position of the Voicing switch.
Thanks for the clarification.

The Marsha models have always simply been called Friedman BE and Friedman HBE. Their names have NOT changed with the recent firmware update (3.idontremember)

The new models based on Mark Day's amp are called Friedman BE V1/V2 and Friedman HBE V1/V2

Ok I'm lost again.

What is the original hbe called now. Prior to ANY updates at all?

The original was modeled after a Marsha.

Then the name stayed the same but it was modeled after a new BE100. At this point the Marsha was not in the Fractal.

Then it was "re" modeled with the voice switch in both positions, hence the V1 and V2. At that time the original Marsha was put back in.

Timeline:

T1. BE = marsha
T2. BE = BE100
T3. BE = marsha, V1 = BE100 voice switch in pos 1, V2 = BE100 voice switch in pos 2

Still odd how the very original sounded great as per mark day and now sounds like bassy ass crappola!

Not everyone. I always hated the BE/HBE models. "Bassy ass crappola" is an appropriate description, IMO. I had not planned to try the new ones, but I guess I might as well.
You should. When I got my AX8 I immediately pulled up the Friedman BE as I had imagined it would be the perfect amp for me. I was greatly disappointed, and found I did not like it at all. When I loaded the new firmware, I decided to give the new ones a spin, and the BE V1 has been my main amp for dirt ever since.

The "voice" switch was originally called the "VH" switch. Friedman probably had to change the name to avoid a visit from Eddie's lawyers......

Back
Top Bottom