Which amps in the unit you find are the closest or identical to the real model i

Technically only Cliff and possibly fractal audio employees have access to their actual reference model so only they can tell you if it's close or not

No two same-model amps sound the exact same anyway, so discussing this, not to sound rude, is pointless IMO.

unless we have measurement equipment and their reference model to compare to our AXE FX then we can discuss

my 2c

Last edited:
Technically only Cliff and possibly fractal audio employees have access to their actual reference model so only they can tell you if it's close or not

No two same-model amps sound the exact same anyway, so discussing this, not to sound rude, is pointless IMO.

unless we have measurement equipment and their reference model to compare to our AXE FX then we can discuss
^^ this
according to Cliff, if you can judge by previous posts over the years, they all are (as long as you compare them to HIS reference amps).

You would also have to factor in… the cabinet, speakers, guitar, the player, amp settings, component drift… etc. I’d tend to think that many of the amp sims are pretty accurate.

I don’t really get the point of the question asked…..

Would one pick an amp model they don’t really care for and force themselves to use it just because it’s the most accurate model in the unit ?

Or inversely, if there is an amp model you really love the sound of, would you stop using it because someone said it’s not accurate?

Some of my favorite amp models are the FAS ones which don’t even have real life counterparts.

Not accurate but ideal and actually better than reality

Would one pick an amp model they don’t really care for and force themselves to use it just because it’s the most accurate model in the unit ?

Or inversely, if there is an amp model you really love the sound of, would you stop using it because someone said it’s not accurate?

Some of my favorite amp models are the FAS ones which don’t even have real life counterparts.

Alright, My question was for many reasons & was not only if they just sound the same! of course not, but I'm talking further than that, meaning, same tweaking on the unit & same exact tweaking on the amp & at the end we get the same result, of course with the same cab etc!
Because like some people make vids yeah, saying Blabla Vs blabla in Axe fx, & you find both almost the same while in the vid they really don't tell you some info on even the simplest thing like tweaking even but anyway, Also I've seen an argument it was a while ago with some & Cliff & it was about how accurate was the JP2C & some were having problems getting it close to their actual amp ( which is why one here is right that amps from same model doesn't sound the same ), some were stating that it is actually the same even as their amp models & some were not believe Cliff when he stated that JP him self approved the model him self & the reference amp was his!
also the answers to this simple question it actually shows a lot lol so bare with me lol

You are right about the FAS Ones they are actually very good that i can buy the unit just to use them & they just be the main preamp to use!

I only have so much experience with few amps that are in it; Dual Recs, Mark IVs, 5150's, Legacy I've owned and I've tried tons of others but never spent enough time with them to remember everything about how it felt dialing them in or how the EQ's work. I figured if Cliff can recreate the Mesa experience to that detail, everything else is surely on par. While I haven't played a ton of the real amps, at the very least I have an understanding of the kind of amps/tones the brands put out, so when I'm looking for a certain sound, I know which area of amps to look in.

Of the amps I've owned, they're pretty damn spot on, particularly the 5-band Mark EQ, the hair and bass around 5150's and the almost boxy feel of the Legacy. They're specific to those particular amps and are absolutely reflected in Fractal land. Oh and Marshall EQ's with JCM800's and everything preceding those. That's another one I've had some time with.

How come no mic’d side by side videos with Cliff’s amps and the axe? Seem like it’d be good advertising. Maybe throw in a Pepsi challenge type deal at a trade show or something
Occasionally he posts SoundCloud type clips A/B-ing just to prove a point, but he’s been too busy writing code and turning the world upside down for video shenanigans.

Last edited:
I'm talking further than that, meaning, same tweaking on the unit & same exact tweaking on the amp & at the end we get the same result, of course with the same cab etc
It doesn’t work that way.

The manufacturer can’t deliver two units where both amps sound the same with the knobs in the same positions because the tolerances of the parts vary too much. That means the amp Cliff buys that acts as his baseline will vary from other units from their line also.

He takes the amp he bought and goes through it, making sure it matches the schematic, and uses it for his comparisons. His goal is to match its sound, but not necessarily match the sound of every other unit at the same settings. And, periodically he’ll pull out one of his baseline amps and compare it to the model and will find there’s no difference. Of course, very rarely he’ll find there is something different, and he’ll go back and rewrite code until the modeler is getting it right, but that still doesn’t mean it matches every other instance of that particular amp.

Using the same cab doesn’t ensure the same sound either, because the wood and speakers vary

By doing as he says, using your ears and not eyes, you can get much closer to your ideal sound, whether it’s identical to a particular unit, or the epitome of a particular class of amp.

He talks about this in various tech notes and in the Wiki, but https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/no-two-amps-sound-the-same-fact-or-fallacy.109537/ is useful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom