Which amp?

SteveW

Experienced
I have the Axe FX ultra, running through a Mesa Boogie D/R 100 watt and a recto 4x12 straight and slant cab. I'm selling my D/R so I can go to a stereo head setup and was thinking about the Mesa 2 fifty or the
STEREO SIMUL-CLASS 2:NINETY.

I guess I could go with any decent stereo AMP though....but does anyone know if there's a good reason not to go with one of the other I've listed above? Or, is there something else I should be looking at instead?

I have the Axe FX ultra, running through a Mesa Boogie D/R 100 watt and a recto 4x12 straight and slant cab. I'm selling my D/R so I can go to a stereo head setup and was thinking about the Mesa 2 fifty or the
STEREO SIMUL-CLASS 2:NINETY.

I guess I could go with any decent stereo AMP though....but does anyone know if there's a good reason not to go with one of the other I've listed above? Or, is there something else I should be looking at instead?

The only reason not to would be if you really wanted to take advantage of the Axe FX Power Amp modeling.
Usually, with a power amp like you have listed, people leave the Power Amp Sim 'off' on the Axe FX, because the Mesa would already be adding that color.
The Mesa power amps will mean that your tone always has that Mesa flavor. If you like that, then go for it.
If you want to really take advantage of the Power Amp modelling in the Axe FX and not have that Mesa flavor on all of your patches, then a Solid State power amp may serve you better (like the Matrix that's noted above).
Folks around here like the Matrix because they are a good quality power amp in a single rack space....but any good quality Solid State Power amp can be used for similar/same results.

Thanks for the replies! No, I'm not looking for a Mesa flavor actually (more like Marshall - LOL). I want a neutral amp, as I know I can easily replicate any AMP I'd like, using the Axe.

So, is the Matrix 1000GT FX a better way to go in that case? This amp isn't going to gig nor will it be cranked...it's just for me to play at home, sometimes loud but never at full pin. I would still go with the higher power, just to have the available headroom should I chose to crank it.

Will it be as robust as a Mesa and will it sound as good or will I regret not having bought a Simulclass 290? I guess that's what I'm trying to determine!

I only know from having owned and used some Line 6 amps VS. the Marshall / Mesa stacks I have owned, that the Line 6 SS modeling amps just couldn't hold a candle to them in any way. So, that's the extent of my knowledge in an SS amp vs Tube.

I have a Matrix GT1000FX and I play at home through a Mesa 2x12. It's fantastic. I'd definitely recommend the Matrix amp so you can get the benefit of the Axe's power amp modeling which is awesome.

I'm so stuck between that and the Simulclass 290...I want the 1000GT because of it's neutrality, but am concerned it just won't sound like a and punch/ bite like a tube amp?

I'm so stuck between that and the Simulclass 290...I want the 1000GT because of it's neutrality, but am concerned it just won't sound like a and punch/ bite like a tube amp?

It's not going to sound exactly like a tube power amp. (IMO) But it's going to be way more flexible.

Instead of investing in a Matrix (if you're uncertain), why not get a less expensive amp on Craigs List?
If weight and size are not as important at the moment....you can get a beefy/heavy Crown amp on Craigs List for dirt cheap.
Crown Power Base, QSC RMX, you can likely get tons of power for $300+ dollars.
Then you can take some time to decide if a SS power amp works for you.

Well, I got the Matrix...and couldn't be happier. It gives me everything I could possibly ask for and more. I purchased an amp-style rack mount to hold the Axe FX/ Matrix and a Furman PL8C. Like this one -

I can get the sound dialed in perfectly...any amp I want. That's all I need!

s-l1600.jpg

Didn't you have a different thread about this? And you also posted this picture in that one as well. Why didn't you just take a picture of your rig as it is now instead of posting this picture of a completely different rig? It's really confusing when you say you bought something but then you post a pic of something completely different.

Didn't you have a different thread about this? And you also posted this picture in that one as well. Why didn't you just take a picture of your rig as it is now instead of posting this picture of a completely different rig? It's really confusing when you say you bought something but then you post a pic of something completely different.
I didn't understand it the first time around......

2:90 is a great sounding amp, but the Matrix is so much lighter. Your back will thank you. The Simul-2:90 contains about 30 lbs of iron transformers. Retubing eight 6L6's at a time gets expensive and old quick too. As great as the Axe's modeling sounds, I don't miss messing with constant retubing and heavy ass amps at all.

2:90 isnt even the best valve power amp IMO. Its too "flavoured", and also your not going to get much "punch" from any amp at home volume levels. Punch comes mainly from volume.

If you really want a valve power section, to keep as much punch as possible - then look at a Fryette Power Station, as the power amp part is neutral and works best with the AFX Power Amp Sims on. I have both that and the Matrix mostly for home use. They both have + and - points, but both are better than a guitar stereo valve power amp, both are fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom