Which Amp with FX8

catscanman82

Inspired
Looking for suggestions on a low wattage amp that matches well with the FX8. With a loop for 4 CM would be great. Thanks for your help in advance.

I have the Mesa Boogie Mark V25 which has a 10 watt and 25 watt setting and its hands down the best amp I have had and it sounds delightful with the FX8. Mesa also just came out with a Mark V35 which has 10, 25, 35 watt settings and is available in a combo or head version. Great amps!

I'm using a Ceriatone OTS Mini 20. A Dumble type preamp into a Deluxe type power amp. Does the 4 wire thing very well.

Cost about $550 for the head.

They also make a Yeti Mini 20 which is a modified Marshall type with a loop. I'm thinking about picking up one of those.

I have a 1967 AC30 non top boost with original blues that has lost its original tolex covering and looks like something out of mad max with a metal grill on the front. It sounds amazing. I use the FX8 in stereo with that and an early 90s AC15 TBX. Neither amp has effect loops so it is all up front.

By it's design, isn't the FX8 going to work great with any amp? That being said, I have used one with a Peavey Valveking Micro, a Peavey Classic Mini, an Orange TH100, an EVH 5150 (both 100w and 50w), and a new Fender Bassbreaker. It sounded great with all of them. Transparent and noiseless. It was bliss.

I'm using Mesa mark V 25 ,mini rectifier and thinking using kemper powerhead as my amp

Just about any amp with a serial effects loop will give you the ability to use the 4CM. Then it's a matter of your desired tone. I'm personally considering replacing my Mesa Roadster with a Mesa Mark V 25 to cut down on weight. Both have stellar cleans, which is what I've been using most lately, as well as great crunch and saturated tones. Don't make the mistake I made for years assuming that Mesa amps only do metal ;). The Mark V 25 is a super versatile amp and will deliver just about any tone you'll ever need. It would be my number one choice if I had to choose only one amp.

EDIT: Any amp with an effects loop will accommodate the 4CM but some amps have effects loops that work better than others.

Last edited:
I have the Mesa Boogie Mark V25 which has a 10 watt and 25 watt setting and its hands down the best amp I have had and it sounds delightful with the FX8. Mesa also just came out with a Mark V35 which has 10, 25, 35 watt settings and is available in a combo or head version. Great amps!
Awesome! I want to get an FX8 MkII for use with my JP-2C. The Mark Series are great!

Last edited:
I'm interested in the Mark V35 Combo. Can you assign channel switching to presets without having the EXT Switching inputs that the bigger Boogies have? The new JP-2C has MIDI, but too much amp power my needs.

unlike the mark V 25, the mark V 35 doesn't have 1/4 inch jacks for the foot switches , just a 5 pin DIN port. you might be able to find someone to build an adaptor to work with the FX8 relays, but it won't work out of the box.

unlike the mark V 25, the mark V 35 doesn't have 1/4 inch jacks for the foot switches , just a 5 pin DIN port. you might be able to find someone to build an adaptor to work with the FX8 relays, but it won't work out of the box.
Thanks for the info!

I'd bet most amps work will with the FX8. Just make sure it has either midi that works... There are posts on here about amps with issues. If no midi, ensure that there are short to sleeve relays (if you need channel switching), and a loop (if you desire that). Should be good with that as a general guideline.

I use 3 amps... Carr Rambler, Lazy J, Matchless Lightning; only the latter has an effects loop, the others with the FX8 in front.

In stereo, the Rambler and the Lazy J are mind blowing.

The reverb, namely North and South Church, remains the best Ive ever encountered and forced the sales of my Strymon Big Sky and Eventide Space...

Back
Top Bottom