Which Amp sim for legato?

craiguitar

Power User
Hi all,
Has anyone tried replicating a Rivera Knucklehead amp (Lead channel) with the Axe? If so which amp sim did you choose? My friend is trying to replicate his fave high gain sounds from the Rivera on his Axe Standard. At the moment he is using the CAE Lead. I use that one a lot, and I know it is a bit grainy/Marshally, perhaps not the right choice for him. I am thinking another high gain type, perhaps Fryette or Soldano? It's really the tonestack that shows through on his Rivera. He plays with a light touch, lots of legato lead work, and the Rivera 'gives back' the sustain, sort of doing all the work not done by heavy picking so to speak. I'd gratefully appreciate any suggestions.

Maybe not high enough gain, but Id give the Orange, the Boogie Mk 2 and Carol Ann a try. All quite thick sounding with lots of susstain and smoothness.

OK thanks, will suggest those also.
BTW, [off topic], this week @ reheasal I will be trying out a Matrix against my VHT. I'll take your EQ suggestions into account of course...[/off topic]

Have fun with the Matrix. Just remember (appart from the need to tweek slightly) to have an open mind. It took me 4-6 weeks playing before I was happy to let my 2:50:2 go, it wasnt instant. That said the tweeks ive posted should speed up that process.

Its not for everyone. Yek has moved to the Atomic 50/50 though still has the Matrix as backup at present. Theres Matrix in the classifieds as the user prefered his Mesa 2/50 after a weeks trial. BUT, there are several people moved over from the VHT amps, one who prefered the MAtrix over a Mesa 2/90 and another who though it was better than a Lab Gruppen Ss amp (and there VERY high end).

If its not for you - its not for you, but the weight is SOOOO tempting that for me persoanly (with back/knee issues) it was close enough.

Back
Top Bottom