Which amp model comes closest to a Zinky Superfly?

karmar

Inspired
You can hear the articulation of my old Superfly at 2:25 here on this youtube clip:

(Fast forward to 2:25)

I really loved how - in one setting - I could have a fantastic completely clean tone with soft picking, or a HUGE overdrive tone with heavy picking. And I would not loose any tone when I backed my volume control back - it sounded great at all guitar volume settings (see 3:57 on the video)

The closest I have come to getting that articulation so far is using the Brit J45 Jump - but that model doesnt even use 5881's, so I should be able to get much closer. I loved that amp, but at 85 pounds, it was just too heavy to lug around as I got older.

This brings an idea to mind. That being the feature that’s in the looper which allows you to adjust volume threshold for auto record. What if we had a similar feature in the amp block that would allow you to adjust the volume threshold to auto engage overdrive or change channels for pick dynamics?

I would try messing around with the output compressor on the dynamics page.You can also set your input dynamics. Try the feedback setting on the comp.

I did not even know that existed - Thanks! I will give it a try. Also, I like Maddface's suggestion...

I had a SuperFly. Loved it, but you're right about the weight, and that it was a 120 Watt beast Red Tolex head and 2x12 Cab...cool!)

From what I remember, all those different voicings were loosely based off of particular amps. I don't know which one you are using in the video, but would start there (fusion?) A Bogner model maybe.

Bruce was incredibly responsive, so you might try to find him.

I had a SuperFly. Loved it, but you're right about the weight, and that it was a 120 Watt beast Red Tolex head and 2x12 Cab...cool!)

From what I remember, all those different voicings were loosely based off of particular amps. I don't know which one you are using in the video, but would start there (fusion?) A Bogner model maybe.

Ahh! You have a good ear! It WAS the fusion setting! I wish I had not sold it now - I could have just used it at home.... But if I could come close to that sound with my AxeFx it would be fantastic. I will give a Bogner model a try - I had an XTC for a while and it did not come close to the Superfly - but, as you say, it could have been heavily modified by Bruce Zinky

I think that sort of range can be had from quite a few of the amps, it's the voicing that might be hard to match, The first part of the video reminded me a bit of the Comet amps

Back
Top Bottom