Which 80's style hard rock and metal super strats should I consider?

Fizz

Inspired
Since receiving my FM3 a month ago I am no longer on a quest for tone from any amp or modeler. I have found the one :)

Now I'd like to focus on getting a guitar that makes me as happy. I only play 80s hard rock and metal. 80s metal for me is like Dokken, Ratt, Queensryche, Ozzy. I don't care for Metallica or heavier.

Which super strat guitars should I be considering?

What is your price range?

The Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder is affordable, but worth like the most famous and expensive high end guitars

https://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/sun-valley-super-shredder-iii-detail

SVSS%20III%206%20FR%20AURORABURST%20TILT.png

I have an 88' Model 2 but it has a crappy tremolo and the upper register is very hard for me to reach. Do the new Charvels have easier access?
IIRC, the Danhage signature has the Korean made 1000 Series Floyd like the Pro Mods. Most of my guitars have the Hamer branded Schaller Floyd, so that's what I'm used to. I don't know how they compare. I've played a few of the new Charvels, and some of them were really, really good. I didn't specifically notice a problem with the trem.

I have big hands, so the standard strat style cutaway and neck joint doesn't bother me. My main stage guitar is a neck through with much less bulk in the way....but I don't believe it ever affected my playing either way. Obviously, you have to go with what your hands tell you.

Try to find a Hamer Californian if you can, they are awesome guitars.

I had one of those that was black with a SD JB in the bridge, a hot rail in the neck and 27 frets back in the day and I loved it. For the price it was a great guitar. I never had issues with the trem, and the fit/finish was very good.

Are Floyd Rose 1000 series as good as an original?
IMO, yes. Not a big noticable difference. I have about 15 guitars with FR1000s on them (almost all of them are Wolfgangs).

I really like my EVH 5150 Deluxe, but I gravitate towards the Wolfgangs, with the smaller R2 nut.

My vote goes to the Charvel San Dimas, for the money it's hard to beat for the 80s stuff. I'm not a fan of the 1000 series Floyds though, so I'd probably replace that with a Made in Germany one. I've done that on all my 3 Charvels, no regrets! Neck heel is still in the classic "bulky" Fender style but I personally never had problems reaching the upper frets, I quite like the feel of it actually

My vote goes to the Charvel San Dimas, for the money it's hard to beat for the 80s stuff. I'm not a fan of the 1000 series Floyds though, so I'd probably replace that with a Made in Germany one. I've done that on all my 3 Charvels, no regrets! Neck heel is still in the classic "bulky" Fender style but I personally never had problems reaching the upper frets, I quite like the feel of it actually
I've got a Fender Duo Sonic and have had some Strats and never had a problem with accessing the higher frets. Do you have or have you ever played an 80s Charvel Model series? Nevermind, this is my exact guitar below in your video... Mine's an 88'. Does the access feel the same as the new ones? That's an original FR in your guitar? Was it an easy replacement? It looks like the JT6 to me.

I've got a Fender Duo Sonic and have had some Strats and never had a problem with accessing the higher frets. Do you have or have you ever played an 80s Charvel Model series? Nevermind, this is my exact guitar below in your video... Mine's an 88'. Does the access feel the same as the new ones? That's an original FR in your guitar? Was it an easy replacement? It looks like the JT6 to me.

Yep at the time of this video the guitar was still stock (JT6/J90c pickup), now it's got a Seymour Duncan JB and a black original Floyd, it was a direct replacement, but I've kept the stock mounting studs and inserts. My model 2 is an '87 so I'm pretty sure it should fit perfectly on yours as well. The axcess to the upper frets it's pretty much the same yeah, but the new necks are satin instead of the slight gloss finish used in the 80's, that improves the feel in a big way IMO

Back
Top Bottom