Which 80's style hard rock and metal super strats should I consider?

Yep at the time of this video the guitar was still stock (JT6/J90c pickup), now it's got a Seymour Duncan JB and a black original Floyd, it was a direct replacement, but I've kept the stock mounting studs and inserts. My model 2 is an '87 so I'm pretty sure it should fit perfectly on yours as well. The axcess to the upper frets it's pretty much the same yeah, but the new necks are satin instead of the slight gloss finish used in the 80's, that improves the feel in a big way IMO
Thanks for the info, I'm going to upgrade mine someday. You are a great player.. I've been subscribed to your channel for a while now.

Ibanez Genesis model
Is the Edge on the Genesis the good Edge or the cheaper one? I really like the one with the single coil at the neck. I forgot to mention I want a H-S-S or just an H-S
The guitar that comes to mind when 80's Superstrat is asked for is the Jackson Soloist SL1.
I think that way too and have been surprised it hasn't been mentioned. How do the pros play that are in the $1,110 range? I really like this one.. it just screams 80s. I also have been jones-ing for a Kramer SM-1 since seeing it on the cover of Speed Mechanics.
CYJ2001864-body-large.jpg.auto.webp

Washburn Parallaxe guitars have fantastic upper fret access, plus the Buzz Feiten system, which I love. I can’t say who has a good Floyd, because the only Floyd that ever behaved well for me was the Speedloader.

I’d look at the LTD SN-1000FR too; it has stainless steel frets, which is a big plus at that price.

For trems, my advice is just to put as many trem equipped guitar through their paces in person before buying. In other words, I’d wait until you’re vaccinated! Best of luck with your search! :)

If you're not worried about new, the Ibanez S-series and R-series guitars from '87-'93 are excellent guitars and a lot of HSS models. You can find good deals all day long on Reverb.

I think that way too and have been surprised it hasn't been mentioned. How do the pros play that are in the $1,110 range? I really like this one.. it just screams 80s. I also have been jones-ing for a Kramer SM-1 since seeing it on the cover of Speed Mechanics.
The 1000 series Floyd is the only thing that makes me leery of the lower priced models. Haven't played any of the Kramers or Jackson Pros to offer any opinion. I would personally look at the used market for an SL1, I keep checking every now and then to see if there's a good deal to be found.

As far as current production, Charvel seems to be doing things well and Ibanez is hard to beat but the HSS configuration is not their forte. Schecter's Artist and USA models would be another option to consider. They have long been known for quality regardless of price.

The 1000 series Floyd is the only thing that makes me leery of the lower priced models. Haven't played any of the Kramers or Jackson Pros to offer any opinion. I would personally look at the used market for an SL1, I keep checking every now and then to see if there's a good deal to be found.

As far as current production, Charvel seems to be doing things well and Ibanez is hard to beat but the HSS configuration is not their forte. Schecter's Artist and USA models would be another option to consider. They have long been known for quality regardless of price.
I'll stick my head out to reiterate this, but I've had at least 20 guitars with FR1000 trems on them pass through my hands. They should not be a point of concern. Unless you're thinking of the Floyd Rose special (stay far far away from that).

Even EVH USAs use FR1000s. I would advise replacing the trem block with a big block (hit up Adam at FU-tone) regardless of a FRO or FR1000 if you're serious about a tone difference (much bigger difference from this than between the FR1000 and FRO...).

Even further than that, I actually prefer GOTOH 1996T bridges over FR1000s and FROs. I've used Pings and Schallers too, still prefer the GOTOH for some reason.

YMMV, but this is just my experience over the past few years with Floyd bridges.

I mostly buy used guitars.

Ibanez RGs, Charvel Model series, predator, Kramer Nightswan, Jackson Soloist, Rhoads, etc. Lots of stuff out there, but unfortunately less right now because of the pandemic. It also seems to be keep prices up there.

I'll stick my head out to reiterate this, but I've had at least 20 guitars with FR1000 trems on them pass through my hands. They should not be a point of concern. Unless you're thinking of the Floyd Rose special (stay far far away from that).

Even EVH USAs use FR1000s. I would advise replacing the trem block with a big block (hit up Adam at FU-tone) regardless of a FRO or FR1000 if you're serious about a tone difference (much bigger difference from this than between the FR1000 and FRO...).

Even further than that, I actually prefer GOTOH 1996T bridges over FR1000s and FROs. I've used Pings and Schallers too, still prefer the GOTOH for some reason.

YMMV, but this is just my experience over the past few years with Floyd bridges.
Hafta agree with Pretty-much all of ^^^...this. The 1000’s are solid trems, the ‘Specials’ are something I tend to avoid or swap-out due to their zinc alloy blocks and saddles, and, true-enough, the Gotohs are frikkin’ awesome. I put Gotohs on all my own builds. ..just ..great trems!

Upgrading Floyd trems with brass blocks are a worthwhile mod. The big brass blocks might cause issue with fitting in some standard cavities though.

As for off-the-rack shredders. I bought a Washburn Parallaxe a while back, really nice guitar actually. Ltd make great guitars for the cash. Somebody mentioned and will second a used Hamer Californian, if you can find one.

Just picked-up a Charvel Pro-mod with the Floyd in the dark-amber - a really a nice guitar for the money. It has a really useable pickup, tone, and switching setup. For the cash, I’m really pleasantly surprised. Other than reversing the neck pickup, not had to mess with it at all.

Super Shredders are just not that hard to come by. And the quality of todays LTDs, Charvels, Jacksons etc., today, are better than the equivalent of the same guitars available in the same price bracket back in the 80’s - today’s soloists are as good as the 80’s Charvel Model 6 (for example (and IMO)).

..I would suggest heading into the city and grabbing a few off the rack at the local music superstore, because in the end, when it comes to shredding, it’s gonna come down to the neck profile, and in my experience, everybody’s hands prefer something different for that.

In all truth, just check various brands and styles out in the retailer stores. Only you can really know what feels right to you...alot of great suggestions here on this topic, but unless you're confident to being fairly accurate on what style/brand of ax is YOU the best way is hands on and not an internet purchase unless youve tried that brand/model in person.. sometimes the hunt for the ax calling your name may totally change what you thought would be a style or type of guitar

Back
Top Bottom