Where to try it?

Alex Kerezy

Inspired
Hi,
I'm a violin player. I have an LR Baggs pickup on my violin, and I have a pure electric violin. I also have a mandolin with a K&K pure mini pickup. Right now I have a pedal board with with some nice stuff (Strymon, GigRig G2, Cali76, Tone Dexter and others)......

Before I plop down a few Gz on this thing - where can I try it?

P L E A S E - don't tell me there's a 15 day return. It's not worth the hassle. I want to go (even if I have to drive 4 hours) and take a day off work and sit down with it and play it and hear it with my ear phones.

It's obviously all digital - what type of converters does it use, with what sample rate?

CBus->[]HI[]

Thanks for the quick reply
Have you ever ran your gear through an Apollo interface and used the UAD plugins on your signal?

You mean the Apollo recording interface? No I haven't tried that. I want to use this for live performances. That would mean setting up a computer, right to support the plugins?

Thanks for the quick reply

You mean the Apollo recording interface? No I haven't tried that. I want to use this for live performances. That would mean setting up a computer, right to support the plugins?

Yes to the first bit (Apollo Interface), No to the second bit (you don't need a computer plugged into an AFX3 to use it live, but you can use a computer to edit it's programs with AxeEdit.)

I asked if u had used an Apollo before, because it's the only other piece of gear I've ever heard with as good a clarity of signal as the AFX3. When you run through it DI it sounds like money, like when you run a DI through a UA 6176 that's zeroed out or something. Then when you go to pull up a reverb, it sounds like way more money than you paid for it.

Thanks for the links and the specs...................

but WHERE can I try this in Ohio (or the MidWest) --- what about Chicago? Is there a place there I can try it?

I have lots of Faith.....and enough sense to try something before I plop down a few Gz

SoooOOOOOOooooo.... is there any place you can actually try it (anywhere in the MidWest)?

i don't think they have demo units anywhere, there is an existing missionary program set up to educate the ignorant via just word of mouth. i would sayyy
1. find a guitarist who has one and will let you poke/borrow it
2. youtube videos of the hurdygurdy doods who use it for the same purpose

[MEDIA.=youtube]deleted false witness [/.MEDIA]

Last edited:
I have lots of Faith.....and enough sense to try something before I plop down a few Gz

SoooOOOOOOooooo.... is there any place you can actually try it (anywhere in the MidWest)?
You would have to find someone who lives in your area that has one who would be willing to let you try it. Fractal does not sell in retail stores.

Maybe it’s just me but it seems like driving 4-6 hours each way just to try the unit is much more of a hassle than letting the unit be delivered and just returning it after if you don’t bond with it. I doubt you’ll return it though. It’s too amazing.

In the U.S. Fractal sells direct, so it's buy-to-try.

Maybe one of the other forum members will be charitable enough to let you play through theirs, although I'm not sure you should trust anyone who plopped down their Gz without having the "sense" to play through it first ;-)

Alex:
I understand people having apprehensions about High dollar $$ purchases ,
and it sounds like to me ,you have made some already with your violin and mandolin,and the electronics you have in them.
But this MUSIC making machine ,aka ...AXE_FX III ,,is no doubt the BEST music investment you could make as you will discover in these forums and others <except the competitors ,that are trying to keep up>
There is a well oiled team of experts behind this company , that daily strives to improve with updates and improvements.
You will find yourself spending more time creating your music. this may very well be the best piece of money you have ever spent on Music equipment .
I am confident that when and if you do ,You will be blown away at how much you get for what you pay .Even the the Music Industry Magazines are taking notice.
and understand in the world we live now people are sometimes cautious of people exposing their "domain " to people they don't know ,as you already know
Trust me ,it will "fit "the bill you need and more.

I know there are several on the forum from Cincinnati area .and one or so from Dayton.
Maybe start a post like in the < AXE FX III > forum

"""Help, anyone from Columbus ,Ohio area to demo the AXE FL III"""" ??????????

I think it would be a bit more foolish to part with your "G'z" after playing a very in-depth product for a short time in a store like environment which you may of had to drive quite a ways to try, verses having 15 day in the controlled environment of your own home to get a good idea of how the unit works, make adjustments, etc.

I used to live in Columbus, Ohio myself, but, being honest, there is no way I'd be comfortable having a total stranger who just signed up today take a day off work, and sit around in my home playing my III for a few hours. That isn't anything against you personally, but I just don't like people to know where I live, to know how much other equipment is in my home etc, unless I actually know the person. If its a long time forum member who has a II and wants to hear a III in person, then sure, I'd be willing to have them come over etc, but someone I don't know ? No way, and I'd have to assume most would feel the same way.

Its like a Craigslist deal.... want me to bring my $2500 Les Paul over to your "rehearsal" building in a bad part of town at midnight, you'll have cash waiting ? No thanks. There could be no cash, and 3 other dudes waiting there, and I'm leaving without my guitar, if I'm lucky. Same when people are really pushy about wanting to come to my home or studio to 'try it out first', or ask a ton of questions about what amps I've got on hand they can play it through etc... Its like no, I don't want to give someone on CL a breakdown of the inventory of my home.

Just risk vs reward. Its not like if I help Cliff sell 10 units I get one free. I take on all the risk of letting a stranger into my home, or taking my $2500 unit over to their place, so they can try it, and then ? They love it and buy it ? What did I get out of the deal ?? Nothing. Too many ''red flags".... brand new user, kind of pushy in willingness to drive 6 hours but finds a 15 day return period a "hassle", uses the word "Gz" lol (that last one is just me)

This is the very reason FAS has a generous 15 days trial period. Anyone who is interested can audition one with enough time to get a real feel for it and make sure its right for them. If not, return it and your just out shipping. FAS of course makes the sale, so they are the ones offering the trial. Just makes sense, and its best for everyone concerned.

I'd say your best bet for an in person audition would be maybe finding a gig someone is playing in the area, and maybe they'd be willing to let you come out to soundcheck and play it a bit before the show. Public place, other people around etc, far safer. Downside of course is your playing a rig they set up for their guitars, their patches etc, so maybe not ideal, but better than nothing.

Id wager though that if you did buy one, there is a 99% chance you'll love it and end up keeping it. Fantastic product

Back
Top Bottom