Where to start?

bluesrockguy

I was given an AXE FX II, along with the volume and wah controllers and the MFRC-101 foot controller.

As my user name suggests, I'm a fairly simple blues rock guy, so I don't really have a need for 1000 sounds. In fact, I'm inclined to run this the same way I run my Plexi super lead or my Mesa - As a good "Marshall style" clean and add my pedalboard in front. If I get good enough with the system perhaps even replace the pedalboard with the MFC-101 [assuming I can get good enough with it and find all the replacement sounds in the system].

The goals I'd like to accomplish are;
Being able to send the signal to a 2x12 cabinet loaded with 2 UK made Celestion greenbacks [I'm thinking the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 is all I need for a 50 watt cab like this in the bars and clubs I'm playing this way] and being able to send it to front of house for large venues with IR's.

Of course, I'm going to be reading the manual.

I'm looking for some insight into;
what IR's to use [and how to get them to work]
If the powerstage 170 is right for my application - should I consider something else?
What amp sims would you suggest for my use [my normal rig is a Plexi super lead, I use the normal channel only with the mids, treble and presence cranked and the bass very low, volume often not much more than 2 or 3].

Are there any good primers I should watch or read?

Sorry for being "the newb" - I'm an old school guy who's truly new to this way of doing things.

As suggested above, there are lots of really great YouTube videos covering most everything you need to know.
The Axe FXII Wiki has answers to pretty much everything, and of course the manual.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Axe-Fx2

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Owners-Manual.pdf

There is a preset template for doing exactly what you want to do. I think it was one of the factory presets, but I am not sure. I'm using an Axe FXIII now.

You are in for a treat. Consider that you can likely replace your pedalboard with the on-board effects on the axe. Imagine having a custom pedalboard for each song you play, or maybe 2-3 pedalboard variations for different genres/eras. All with one foot stomp!

Back
Top Bottom