Where to EQ - new guitar & pickups

Bman

Power User
I'm stoked about the new guitar I picked up - It's one of the new Charvel USA Select HSS guitars. They come with Dimarzio Super Distortions which sound much fuller or bassier than my other guitars, which had either Duncan's or a 57 classic plus. The Duncans have a midrange bump and my presets are dialed in to that basic sound. Now with the Super Distortion I need to add some mid bump to the preset to bring it to life.

With so many EQ choices, I ask: Should I look for a new Cab/IR? or use the GEQ in the amp block? I know there is no real correct answer. I've already bumped the GEQ's mids, and then changed the PEQ block's frequency from 1500 to 2400 which is getting close. But I'm getting close to getting some of the 'box' sound in the midrange tone. I say that, and it's hardly noticeable, but I've been totally screwed up by having the possibility built into this box to obtain the 'grail' tone I'm seeking. (gee thanks Fractal...lol).

I'm considering buying one of Ownhammer's or ML's packs. I'm currently married to the factory TV 4x12 Greenback cab. There's so much to tweak within the amp, the PEQ block, the boost block and the GEQ I'm overhwelmed by the other choices. I've tried less than 10 of the factory cabs and come back to the TVmix. Yet I hardly hear anyone raving about those.

I would stick with the same amp block and IR. If that becomes too bassy, I would stick a filter block in front of the amp - probably with a hi pass filter

My favorite pickup is a Super Distortion I bought in the 70's.

I have it in my Charvel in the bridge position.

For me, those pickups sound best with a fairly bright speaker. The darkness of the pickup is a perfect match to a bright amp and cab; especially playing loud.

Super Distortion -> Marshall -> Greenbacks

Playing at a low volume might not sound as good. But cranked up. It really sings. And is the sweet spot for that pickup.

My favorite pickup is a Super Distortion I bought in the 70's.

I have it in my Charvel in the bridge position.

For me, those pickups sound best with a fairly bright speaker. The darkness of the pickup is a perfect match to a bright amp and cab; especially playing loud.

Super Distortion -> Marshall -> Greenbacks

Playing at a low volume might not sound as good. But cranked up. It really sings. And is the sweet spot for that pickup.

Good stuff here. The louder I play the cleaner the distortion is.... good thing. It doesn’t sound fuzzy. But the p/u do take getting used to since they seem pretty flat from bass up to treble.

Back
Top Bottom