Where to buy a UNO chip

lscottk

Experienced
I did a google search and came up with a few places but I figured that I'd ask here to see if anyone can recommend a good place to buy a UNO chip for a Behringer FCB1010. Anyone have a positive experience and would like to make a recommendation? Cheap is great. Quality, reliability and cheap (if possible) are even better.

Thanks,
Scott

Once you grasp the software editor this UnO chip makes the FCB1010 one of the most versatile MIDI boards with expression pedals built in and easily the top of the class cost wise...win-win. Mine works great! Tip: you must tell the FCB what effects (that you have attached to a button on the controller) are on/off in the preset otherwise you will have confusing issues.

I ordered one from one of the online sellers and never received it. I ended up only getting a partial refund because he had a stellar reputation and I'm convinced that it was just lost in the mail. So I ended up downloading the bin file from the yahoo user groups and sent it to someone on e-Bay that burned EPROM's. I think that it cost just a few bucks for two of them. It was like half the price of what I originally paid for one of them. Has worked without an issue for about 2 years now.

Just make sure that you research to get the right chip. There are two that you can choose from, one that is like 256 and one that is 512. There are specific firmware for each one (I believe that the 512 version is 'stacked' or something).

Just remember that the actual code is free so you are paying for a $2 chip and the time for someone to program it.

Reactions: jon
Thanks all for the information. How do I tell whether I need a 256k or 512k chip? I looked at the UNO website that Yek posted above, but didn't see any information about different chips.

Thanks again,
Scott

Purchase made

OK - I bought a UNO chip from Swell Sound Electronics, which can be found here. The chip cost $10.95 shipped. I've seen cheaper, but not by much. I was able to pay through Paypal, so I have at least some protection and I didn't have to give anyone a credit card number. If I remember to I'll post a review of my purchase.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

Scott

Cool. I hope that you are using a PC because Ripwerx is the best editor out there for the Uno chip IMHO. I can't comment about Mac stuff because I honestly don't know. Makes it a LOT easier and faster to program. You will need a seperate MIDI to USB adapter or at least some other way to get MIDI in and out of the PC to the FCB1010 because the AxeFXII won't pass all the data without it being corrupted. That's just not what it was designed to do. It does work great when programmed though.

Hi Shasha,

Thanks for the information on Ripwerx. I am running a PC so I'll give it a try. I've had my FCB1010 for a couple of months now. I initially bought one of the chips produced by Eureka sound. I liked the idea of having something that was easy to configure as I'm pretty new to setting up midi. However, though the Eureka Sound chip is great for what it is, I miss some of the extra functionality available in the higher end foot controllers. So I'm taking the plunge and getting a UNO chip. I've got a M-Audio midi-sport midi interface so I shouldn't have any problem connecting to my PC.

The only thing I haven't liked about my FCB1010 so far is the way that it controls the "whammy" effect on the AxeII. For some reason the response of the pedal is weird. Sometimes it tracks normally. Other times (probably most of the time) it sticks and doesn't reset properly when I use the full range of the pedal. I've only had this problem on the whammy effect. Everything else, including volume, seems to work normally. I tried realigning the light source inside the pedal per some posts that I saw but it didn't seem to help. I'm wondering if there is some parameter on the AxeII that I don't have set correctly. Any thoughts about that?

Thanks,
Scott

make sure you calibrate the pedals after you install the new UnO chip (and of course activate the extra features of the UnO). I haven't used a whammy effect YET but I plan on using the auto engage as the on off switch but also leave some room before it starts to track a pitch shift. This is done so I can do a +2 octave shift for short bursts of annoying high pitched notes haha. Like I said before the UnO makes the FCB better than most other MIDI options with built in pedals. RipWerx is a breeze too. Check out Voes website as he has made some pretty great instructions/resources.
fcb1010 - UnO - Index

Hi all, I hope this isn't taken as spam, but I wanted to get the word out to anyone needing an UnO or Behringer official 2.5.1e FCB1010 eprom that the old Swell Sound Electronics site is no longer active. It has been replaced by my new site at: Home
And BTW, I'm also a very happy Axe-FX Ultra user, and hopefully graduating to an AxeFXII in the near future!

Regards,
Sam

Back
Top Bottom