Where the Axe FX II can't compete with real amps....

D

DM45110

It is absolutely possible to nail a real amp's sound with the axe fx, no doubt. I do it all the time to have backup sound with me when playing with real amps and cabinets. and by the way, I've gone all the ways through IR Cabs (commercial and own ones), Axe Amps, real amps, pedal platform amp with amp-in-a-box pedals, pedals in front of the axe fx and so forth.... but I ended up with real amps and cabs again (all Bogner) and using the axe fx as pre- and post-amp effects unit only.

Back to the topic: I have my sound with me as backup in the axe fx, in case a tube or a fuse says goodbye during a show. I managed to nail the sound of my real amp pretty much spot on. But here comes the drawback of the axe: I'm shaping "pedal" blocks (graphic eq and volume regulation) in front of the amp. One block is used to take out some lower mids while reducing the volume by a great amount to get a cleanish sound in the OD channel of the amp.
The amp stays clear and crisp all the time, while the axe fx gets dull und muddy when that factor comes in. Another block is used to boost some higher frequencies to get e plexi-ish quack into the sound of the real -> not possible with the axe fx, it behaves totally different to the amp.

Same with a univibe in front of both "sound generators", axe fx sounds very different to the amp.
Same with a TS type boost in front of the amp.

The only thing that generates similar outcome is an uncoloured boost in front.

So I assume that isn't taken into account when the amp models are programmed (or whatever they are manufactured, I'm a player, not a computer guy)

I guess this is not what some of you want to hear, but test it yourself with some real gear. And now let the bashing of the thread begin =D

PS: I only review what my AXE FX II is putting out, don't know if the III is more realistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you work with the Filterblock in front of the amp in the Axe? Very powerful, works for me, no matter if I want to boost some freqeuences or to reduce something in the ampssound.

Last edited:
Do you work with the Filterblock in front of the amp in the amp? Very powerful, works for me, no matter if I want to boost some freqeuences or to reduce something in the ampssound.

It also works for me (in AXE FX isolated usage), but not like the same exact real amp would react... bad when you use axe fx as backup for the real amp.... sound will be different

I reached a similar conclusion to you, but I still love and use the axe fx 2 all the time. I use a real mesa triaxis preamp, mesa power amp, and mesa cab with the axe fx 2 for effects only. I still do record the axe 2 direct into my computer because it sounds amazing and is so convenient. For me, when I play live through a real power amp and cab it sounds much more realistic with the real thing (imagine that) than using the axe 2 with cab and power amp sims off. In this way of isolating just the preamp simulation in the axe 2, it sounds completely different than a real mesa triaxis. It seems that the magic of the axe 2's great sound is lost when you're not using the power amp and cab sims.

The conclusion I reached is that the axe 2 perfectly reproduces the sound of a great studio recorded amp, but it is not a real amp. You can't sit next to it and have the same feeling as plugging into a Marshall 4x12. It's more like sitting in the control room of a studio with the real amp in another room mic'd up and coming through some studio monitors. And that approach works totally fine for performing live through a PA, recording quietly, etc.

The conclusion I reached is that the axe 2 perfectly reproduces the sound of a great studio recorded amp, but it is not a real amp. You can't sit next to it and have the same feeling as plugging into a Marshall 4x12. It's more like sitting in the control room of a studio with the real amp in another room mic'd up and coming through some studio monitors. And that approach works totally fine for performing live through a PA, recording quietly, etc.

If you're chasing the feeling of playing through a cabinet then you should turn off your cabinet modeling and put your Axe-Fx thru a real cab. FRFR with the Axe-Fx cabinet block is the sound of mic(s) on a cab. They're two different experiences for your ears. Both bring their own benefits and limitations to the table.

I think you may have mis-understood my post. Playing with the axe fx 2 triaxis amp block, cab sims turned off, power amp sims turned off, into a real tube power amp, and a real mesa cab does NOT sound like playing my real triaxis, real tube power amp, and real mesa cab.

thank you searching and CodePoet for your thoughts.

The thread maybe goes a unexpected route.... I did not mean there is a difference between Axe FX to real amp cab and amp-in-the-room sound and all that things....
I can totally live with using just the axe fx with or without real cab or just use a real amp with or without real cab. Doesn't matter, both playable.

What I meant: The axe's amp model are true to the sound of the real amps, until there is manipulation of the sound before the preamp stage. And that manipulation happens so often in my setup that I can't ignore that difference.

It's about the manipulation (boosting, volume drops, EQing, shaping and so on), not preferences for either axe fx amp block or real amps and axe fx cab blocks or real cabs.

I totally understand what the op is saying. ON the general amp in a room sound (not what op is saying) it's been said a thousand times, but ONLY the guitarist or maybe a tiny club ever hears an amp in a room. Everything else is heard through pa's and studios and therefore mic'd cabs. Now I wonder if the op thinks the sound with '[pedals}" in front is different even recorded or through pa, most people think it works just perfectly.

I totally understand what the op is saying. ON the general amp in a room sound (not what op is saying) it's been said a thousand times, but ONLY the guitarist or maybe a tiny club ever hears an amp in a room. Everything else is heard through pa's and studios and therefore mic'd cabs. Now I wonder if the op thinks the sound with '[pedals}" in front is different even recorded or through pa, most people think it works just perfectly.

I think the pedals in the axe fx work perfectly. BUT pedal -> amp block results in a different sound than pedal -> fx block (exact same real amp than amp block)

Now the claim seems to be that the amps are programmed by schematics and the sound and the knobs behave the exact same way the real amp does. And that's what I say: They only do if they act on their own. As soon as you boost, cut, shape and EQ, the programmed amps are NOT like the real amp.

since pedals and amps of the same make and brand can sound different and react different side by side, it shouldn't be a surprise that the Axe can sound and react different as well.

I think the pedals in the axe fx work perfectly. BUT pedal -> amp block results in a different sound than pedal -> fx block (exact same real amp than amp block)

Now the claim seems to be that the amps are programmed by schematics and the sound and the knobs behave the exact same way the real amp does. And that's what I say: They only do if they act on their own. As soon as you boost, cut, shape and EQ, the programmed amps are NOT like the real amp.
This would be due to differences in master volume.

Your argument is invalid because the knobs, which you admit react the same as the real amp, boost, cut and shape EQ.

Oh come on..... the master volume argument =D

Your amps do react differently to an EQ in front. And I did not admit the knobs act the same, as they don't (I just summed up the phrases to sell the unit). To mach the real amp's sound the axe's knobs are way off.

I think in sometimes it would be nice to accept the users' findings but.....

Sorry Leon, your video is not adressing my statements, because there is no pre-amp (before the amp) manipulation going on at any time.

since pedals and amps of the same make and brand can sound different and react different side by side, it shouldn't be a surprise that the Axe can sound and react different as well.

But that's what the company is trying to make you believe.... I just stated my findings here with some big brand amps to put the advert in relation to what is really possible.

I just matched my real JCM 800 2203 (vertical input) to the JCM 800 2204 (horizontal input) model in Axe FX III. They sounded different at first (of course) but I managed to get them really close by ear. Even with real pedals like JHS Bonsai, Death By Audio Fuzz War or other various fuzz pedals there's not much of a difference.

What is your real amp and what model did you match it with? You didn't mention that.

Yek: yes, why not? not possible? Is quantity the only factor that comes in to write that?

The company has a rather rude way to deal with Kemper and the others.... I adapt to it. I hear something and describe it here. Not what you want to hear? Not what boosts selling numbers? I don't care for selling numbers and quantity. I hear it, I describe it.

I also said the axe is perfectly fine in isolation, until it's combined with something else in the chain (and that compared to the real amp combined with the additional element).

Someone could note it down and try to improve rather than play the master volume card and quantity.

I also don't care for statements from people shown on the companies website. Obviously they are hired for defense.

I don't accuse people, but criticism can be used to get better. It seems that's not the way of this company. I am kind of annoyed by the three guys that post all the answers that totally don't care of what I've described. You can be pissed off now, because I am, too.

My humble opinion: The Axe is NOT up to real amps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just matched my real JCM 800 2203 (vertical input) to the JCM 800 2204 (horizontal input) model in Axe FX III. They sounded different at first (of course) but I managed to get them really close by ear. Even with real pedals like JHS Bonsai, Death By Audio Fuzz War or other various fuzz pedals there's not much of a difference.

What is your real amp and what model did you match it with? You didn't mention that.

My real amps are, among others, a 20th Anniversary Bogner Ecstasy and a Mesa Mark V and a Fender Deluxe Reverb.

Back
Top Bottom