Where the Axe FX II can't compete with real amps....

Put a shaping block in front of both and hear what happens.

And: It's about the II only. I've written that.

Check your global EQ. Perhaps it's not flat. That would explain the difference. Or perhaps your unit has a defect in the output you are using to drive the real amp. If so, you should contact support.

But wouldn't global EQ have the same effect on the chain with amp block and with fx block? I don't change anything when switching from fx block (real amp) to amp block...

And thank you for that caring message. I really appreciate it in comparison to the former posts.

Looked it up: Both global EQs are totally flat and unity gain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming you're using Output 2. If so be sure turn the Output Level knob on the front all the way up. This sets the output to "Unity Gain". If you don't do that then things will sound very different between the amp and the model.

Also that is the case all the time. The real amp sounds the same direct from guitar and from axe fx, WHEN there is no further manipulation up front. Don't get me wrong, it does not sound damaged when using the axe with shaping. it just sounds not as crisp and alive as the amp with shaping up front.

I don’t get these type of threads... they pop up over and over again and it’s basically one persons opinion that the Axe doesn’t sound as good as an amp.... okay, noted. They can believe whatever they want, and to what end ? Make everyone sell their Axes ? If a random person on a message board thinks something is the greatest thing ever, or thinks it is awful, it doesn’t change my own opinion, now should it change anyone else’s....

Yet, threads like this will go on for pages and pages, everyone arguing to “prove” a point that is subjective at best, and which never results in any changing of beliefs, instead just wasted time and energy.

Might as well argue with a flat earth believer, or an anti-vaxer, as it’s going to go nowhere.

Seems far easier to simply note the OP’s opinion, wonder if maybe he has an agenda, and just ignore the post or put the member on ignore.

Trying to educate/inform et al., to essentially try to convert the native simply doesn’t work, and history never worked.

Let’s see if we can hit 5+ pages on this one before the weekend is over, or before the “lock”....

Just out of curiosity, did you try to mirror your "pre" effects inside the Axe-FX? And if so, you experience the same behavior?

Just out of curiosity, did you try to mirror your "pre" effects inside the Axe-FX? And if so, you experience the same behavior?

Was going to ask the very same question, but the op did say the Axe worked perfect in isolation.

Was going to ask the very same question, but the op did say the Axe worked perfect in isolation.
Yep, but sounded to me like "nah, I put stuff in front and it sounds different". I just experienced the same on the AX8 with some Boosters, matched them inside the unit and everything was fine.
That's basically where my questions originated:
I see the Axe as a "rig", and also now the limitations of A/D conversions, so usually I mirror my "pre amp" stuff to the AXE to get it work as expected.

The pre-shaping happens in the axe...

All that's out of the box is the real amp (in the fx loop of the axe)

No pre-shapers in front of the axe.

Chain 1:
Guitar -> Axe Input front -> Pre-Shaper Blocks -> Axe Amp Block (same sound as real amp) -> Output 1 -> Poweramp -> Real Cab

Chain 2:
Guitar -> Axe Input front -> Pre-Shaper Blocks -> Out 2 -> Real Amp in fx loop block (with unaltered settings) -> In 2 -> Out 1 -> Poweramp -> Real Cab

Those 2 chains result in different sounds, as soon as the pre-shaping in the axe comes in.

No difference when pre-shaping blocks are off.

Chain 1:
Guitar -> Axe Input front -> Pre-Shaper Blocks -> Axe Amp Block (same sound as real amp) -> Output 1 -> Poweramp -> Real Cab

Chain 2:
Guitar -> Axe Input front -> Pre-Shaper Blocks -> Out 2 -> Real Amp in fx loop block (with unaltered settings) -> In 2 -> Out 1 -> Poweramp -> Real Cab

Those 2 chains result in different sounds, as soon as the pre-shaping in the axe comes in.

No difference when pre-shaping blocks are off.
Intriguing for sure. Though not at all a factor for me as I'm completely committed to FRFR at the moment.

Not too sure you affirmed output 2 volume at full as Cliff suggested to maintain unity gain?

Also....not that it makes a difference?....but you do have power amp sag in the amp block set to "Off" (zero) to disable the power amp in Chain 1?

Yek: yes, why not? not possible? Is quantity the only factor that comes in to write that?

The company has a rather rude way to deal with Kemper and the others.... I adapt to it. I hear something and describe it here. Not what you want to hear? Not what boosts selling numbers? I don't care for selling numbers and quantity. I hear it, I describe it.

I also said the axe is perfectly fine in isolation, until it's combined with something else in the chain (and that compared to the real amp combined with the additional element).

Someone could note it down and try to improve rather than play the master volume card and quantity.

I also don't care for statements from people shown on the companies website. Obviously they are hired for defense.

I don't accuse people, but criticism can be used to get better. It seems that's not the way of this company. I am kind of annoyed by the three guys that post all the answers that totally don't care of what I've described. You can be pissed off now, because I am, too.

My humble opinion: The Axe is NOT up to real amps.
Wow, you’re definitely gonna make people sell their fractal gear after these posts. You did it. Congrats.

And again another FAS employee that rather acts rude without any glimpse of argumentation... nice work guys. Congrats.

Back
Top Bottom