Where is this Distortion coming from?

Eman 2112

Greeting all,
I'm having an issue with what sounds like a blown speaker, or tearing paper in my output. It's there on clean tones as well as hi gain tones. I encountered this issue with my Ultra and had to switch to Low Impedance outs to resolve it. I've just built a new rig using the AX3 and would prefer to stay low impedance. I haven't tried switching to see if it solves the problem yet, because I'm stubborn! I've tried Switching blocks on & off, even reduced output by -10db on all presets I'm using and no bueno. Anyone else encounter this and have a solution?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6074.jpeg
    IMG_6074.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 122
Have you tried plugging your guitar via hardwire directly into your AX3 and listening via headphones, to see if this paper-tearing sound is there? If it is, please attach a preset that is in use when you hear the sound. Since you’d mentioned both clean and distorted tone presets are affected, I’d think the clean tone preset might be best.

Cheers,
Lee

Greeting all,
I'm having an issue with what sounds like a blown speaker, or tearing paper in my output. It's there on clean tones as well as hi gain tones. I encountered this issue with my Ultra and had to switch to Low Impedance outs to resolve it. I've just built a new rig using the AX3 and would prefer to stay low impedance. I haven't tried switching to see if it solves the problem yet, because I'm stubborn! I've tried Switching blocks on & off, even reduced output by -10db on all presets I'm using and no bueno. Anyone else encounter this and have a solution?

Thanks in advance!!!!

First, figure out if the problem is caused by the FX3, so isolate it. Turn off everything else in the rack and unplug everything from the back of the FX3, plug your guitar directly into it, plug power directly from the wall into it, and plug in some headphones. Do you still hear the noise? If not, the problem isn't the FX3.

If it sounds the same, try some factory presets. Do you hear the sound? If so it's in the unit, so contact support@fractalaudio.com.

If not then export the preset that duplicates the problem and attach it to your original post. It wouldn't hurt to back up the system+gb+fc information and attach it so we can look at it too. If we can't duplicate the problem then it's likely to be in your unit so contact support@fractalaudio.com about it, otherwise it'll be in the preset and someone will be able to figure out the problem.

I think that'd prove or disprove the FX3 being the culprit.

Last edited:
Assuming the problem is not the Axe-FX III, it must be something else in your signal chain. Try removing a piece at a time until you find the cause. Oh, and check your guitar cable and battery if you have active pickups.

Why do people like these Peterson tuners? The one in the Fractal doesnt do the job?

Some people use outboard gear with their main piece of hardware. Probably the case here - used to the peterson, band uses it, quick reference without looking at the axe.

Why do people like these Peterson tuners? The one in the Fractal doesnt do the job?

Sure the Fractal tuner “does the job” but personally I like the user experience of my Peterson stomps much better and can tune faster and more accurately. I also like having a master mute in front of my Fractal units.

Is it me, or is a frequent occurance that when someone posts a vague issue, with no assisting evidence to help diagnose....they never reply back to people asking for more info to help them?

Is it me, or is a frequent occurance that when someone posts a vague issue, with no assisting evidence to help diagnose....they never reply back to people asking for more info to help them?

Its also christmas weekend and people are busy. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom