Where is the line?

acidfrost

Inspired
I've been thinking. Since companies like Fractal, Line 6, Atomic, etc can emulate real world amps without legal actions, what stops them from emulating each others?

If Line 6 emulates the FAS Amps, is there any difference compared to emulating physical amps? I mean outside of the amp algorithm, the details of the amps are all there.

There are Kemper users that are profiling every amp in the AX8.
Interesting.
But this is a user doing so, like if we tone matched the amplifire.
I'm more interested in the legal side of this. If the company itself would release amps based on other emulators. Let's say Line 6 releasing the FAS Amps models in their Helix and just changing the name. Pretty much like FAS, Amplifire, Line 6, Boss, etc do with real amps.

I don't think there are any legal issues unless it infringes on their brands' name (e.g Mesa, Fender, etc.), process (e.g. Kempers' profiling "process") and the actual code. In the case of the AmpliFIRE, Axe, and Line6, the code IS the process, so unless they were stealing & copying code, they're good. You can't trademark "a sound." Harley-Davidson tried... and failed.

Even if, let's hypothesize, Line6 wrote an import tool that allowed you to take a FAS.syx preset and import it into the Helix, I'd be willing to bet that FAS would have no case. It's like Microsoft and WordPerfect or Sheets and Excel. I don't think a storage format can be patented.

I think there's a guy selling Kemper profiles of AxeFx models. Of course the KPA version sounds better. :rolleyes:

Yea, but if you play it backward would the repmeK still sound like the latcarF?
If played backwards it says this:
If there’s a bustle in your hedgerow, don’t be alarmed now
It’s just a spring clean for the May queen
Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There’s still time to change the road you’re on

Back
Top Bottom