Where is the facts about tone matching ?

Thomas Larsson

Experienced
Where are the facts about tone matching ?

I read roumurs and speculations of something called tone matching. Is there any real facts released about this from Fractal Audio ?
It would be a lot easier to read that than all this mumbo jumbo speculations .

Last edited:
I read roumurs and speculations of something called tone matching. Is there any real facts released about this from Fractal Audio ?

Check the latest posts Thomas - it's not a rumour anymore, there are a few clips of it in action. Fingers crossed in the 6.0 FW update soon.

It's not released yet, so for now, you'll probably have to read the Fractal posts and clips on this forum to learn about it..like we're doing.. :)

Ok ! I just wonder how it works , and it is a lot easier to get the information straight from the source , than try to calculate it from all comments from people that really don't know it. But if everybody says there is no facts I guess I will just have to wait for the official announcement.

Well specifics are going to be kind of hard to beat out of anyone who has that level of information right now. Its still in beta so its not a final product and is subject to change so you aren't going to get step by step walk throughs from anyone right now. Not only would it violate any agreements that beta testers have with FAS, but you know as well as I do that if something is stated as "this is how it's going to work" and they decide to change that in anyway that there will be people all up in arms over it. But the main thing is that its still going through a good amount of testing to make sure that it does work how its supposed to.

All the little demo clips are here just to let us get an idea of how close they are and what we can probably come to expect in terms of quality when its ready to be released. A lot of people have been chomping at the bit for a progress report and this is basically as a favor for them. Until its officially posted on the FAS website as a product feature I think that keeping specifics out of the threads is probably to be expected.

Reactions: jon
For exampel , If you cranc an amp and try to connect the speaker output to the axe input for some sort of meassuring it would probably be way to strong signal and might blow up the axe ........

And also , to match your amp to a mixed and mastered album guitar sound seems strange to me . i am sure that guitar sounds are being cut both in the high and low end to fit most mixes. That would probably give you a very narrow live sound for example.

That's the kind of questions I have.
It seems like a great feature though.

For exampel , If you cranc an amp and try to connect the speaker output to the axe input for some sort of meassuring it would probably be way to strong signal and might blow up the axe ........

Speaker output should Only go to a Speaker..you'll most likely blow up something!!!!

You wouldn't really do something like that would you?

If you want to some GENERAL information I've got a pretty good idea as to how things are projected to work, but this is just from what I've gathered and not supposed to be the definitive end all, be all answer.

Basically there will be a new effect block inside the AxeFXII that is called "tone matching". You will put this in the preset and then have the option of tone matching an actual amp or a recording. In order to do either though you will have to either know what the original amp model was or do your best guessing and put that amp model in the preset. So the tone matching feature will use the amps inside the AxeFXII.

If you are doing a real amp you will need to have a mic and probably a pre-amp in. That will plug into the back of the AxeFXII. (You will not plug an amp directly into the AxeFXII's rear input; that will blow your output transformer on the amp and probably take out the input circuit on the AxeFXII in the process.) This is where the actual process gets a bit fuzzy for me, but I believe that the tone matching block will 'record' your sound from the amp so you are either going to play the amp or it will send a signal to it or something. We don't have specifics on this yet. Either way it's a small issue IMHO.

After you've got the reference loaded into the tone matching block you will play your guitar into the front input (I'm assuming) and it will try to make the changes needed to match the tone. Now I've heard that you don't have to play the exact same notes, but obviously the closer you are the better it would probably work out for you. After its done you will be able to go in there and adjust parameters just like you would on any patch. You can change cabs and stuff as well.

What it won't do is capture stuff like delay or reverb so you'll have to add those after the process. It's sole purpose is to match the tone of the amp.

In order to tone match from a recording instead of using a mic and pre-amp you will be sending the audio into either the rear input or the USB port from a computer or audio device. The process should be the same, you are just using a different source for the reference.

As far as I know this is as much as any of us who aren't beta testers or named Cliff Chase know so far. I may have a few details wrong (probably likely) and what I think I might know may actually be true today and it may change tomorrow. But it's the basic process.

No amps getting plugged into your AxeFXII directly from the speaker outputs. Please don't do that. :)

There is no 'probably' and the amp doesn't have to be cranked, the voltage and current from an amp's speaker out would fry the Axe and most likely the output transformer on the amp (along with power tubes, power supply capacitors, etc).

Don't worry !
I'm an electronical engineer engineer myself and have constructed lots of amps. I would attenuate the speaker signal through a resistor network (like an old line output) in that case.

I'm also 100% sure that the transformer wouldn't get hurt at all (as long that it's connected to a correct load) , but in that case the input would, if the signal voltage is to high.

Like I also said before : I think the idea of matching an amp to a mixed and mastered recording doesn't seem like a bright idea to me. I know engineers that low cuts the guitar at 200 hz and hicuts at 9khz and other eq-ing as well.

In that case I'm more interested in matching the axe with a favorite real cranced amp , if we got one.

You wouldn't really do something like that would you?

If you want to some GENERAL information I've got a pretty good idea as to how things are projected to work, but this is just from what I've gathered and not supposed to be the definitive end all, be all answer.

Basically there will be a new effect block inside the AxeFXII that is called "tone matching". You will put this in the preset and then have the option of tone matching an actual amp or a recording. In order to do either though you will have to either know what the original amp model was or do your best guessing and put that amp model in the preset. So the tone matching feature will use the amps inside the AxeFXII.

If you are doing a real amp you will need to have a mic and probably a pre-amp in. That will plug into the back of the AxeFXII. (You will not plug an amp directly into the AxeFXII's rear input; that will blow your output transformer on the amp and probably take out the input circuit on the AxeFXII in the process.) This is where the actual process gets a bit fuzzy for me, but I believe that the tone matching block will 'record' your sound from the amp so you are either going to play the amp or it will send a signal to it or something. We don't have specifics on this yet. Either way it's a small issue IMHO.

After you've got the reference loaded into the tone matching block you will play your guitar into the front input (I'm assuming) and it will try to make the changes needed to match the tone. Now I've heard that you don't have to play the exact same notes, but obviously the closer you are the better it would probably work out for you. After its done you will be able to go in there and adjust parameters just like you would on any patch. You can change cabs and stuff as well.

What it won't do is capture stuff like delay or reverb so you'll have to add those after the process. It's sole purpose is to match the tone of the amp.

In order to tone match from a recording instead of using a mic and pre-amp you will be sending the audio into either the rear input or the USB port from a computer or audio device. The process should be the same, you are just using a different source for the reference.

As far as I know this is as much as any of us who aren't beta testers or named Cliff Chase know so far. I may have a few details wrong (probably likely) and what I think I might know may actually be true today and it may change tomorrow. But it's the basic process.

No amps getting plugged into your AxeFXII directly from the speaker outputs. Please don't do that. :)

Back
Top Bottom