• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Where Does Noise Gate Go?

jw3571

Inspired
Where in the chain should you put the noise gate? Assuming you put an OD pedal right in front of the amp, do you put the noise gate before or after the OD Pedal? I assume you always want it before the amp?

h.c.e.

Power User
Depends on what you want to do really. If the goal is to just cut down on some of hiss when not playing stick it early in the chain set just so it comes on and kills some of the hum/noise from your rig (usually something in the -80 to -70ish range, ratio around 2, and then with a fast attack and slow release). If, however, the idea is to keep rhythms really really drum tight and chuggy I'd put it after the amp with higher threshold and ratio and a shorter time... not really my style but some of the "metal" dudes and dudettes might have more of an opinion on that score.

I mostly use a gate to cut down on hiss when not playing and I tend to just use the input block set to "intelligent" with something around -80 to -75 for humbuckers and -74 to -68 for single coils. Ratio in the 1.8-2.2 range, and attack at 1 and release around 80-100. The noise gate block certainly makes it easier to bypass, but the input block noise gate saves on a block for CPU in a slight way. As with all things, YMMV.

Wolfenstein98k

Power User
In addition to the above posts... The Gate is automatically used at the input, and can be edited there. To turn it off, turn Threshold down to 0 (off).

You can use an additional Gate (or switch of the input to use only one, my preferred solution), anywhere as a Gate block. Further, definitely read up on "Sidechaining" if you use high gain amps. See Yek's post & its link for all the info you need.

EDIT: Lastly, the Axe is the lowest-noise device I've ever used. I play metal and usually have no gate on at all (I turn off the input gate). Make sure you try that and determine you need it on at all!

chris

Legend!
Where in the chain should you put the noise gate? Assuming you put an OD pedal right in front of the amp, do you put the noise gate before or after the OD Pedal? I assume you always want it before the amp?
are you trying to reduce guitar noise or pedal noise or amp noise?

chris

Legend!
it can only reduce noise when you're not playing. noise gates don't "seek" noise only from a signal. if the hiss is loud and there when you play, then you need to fix the guitar or electricity.

Wolfenstein98k

Power User
The input gate should suit you fine.

If a stock setting doesn't block noise, you're probably standing too close to your computer.

Does the noise change substantially if you move around or turn 90 degrees either way?

I'll have to look for the video, but awhile back Miko posted a noise gate video where he had the input gate off and put the gate block in between the amp and cab.

I've been doing that ever since with fantastic results.

Edit: found it.

Top Bottom