Where did you purchase your Suhr?

KenH

Inspired
I am possibly thinking about purchasing a Suhr guitar and am curious as to how and where others have purchased theirs. Did you play one first? I play mostly (and I am most comfortable with the necks) on the Ibanez JS guitars so I am interested if the necks on the Modern series would have a similar feel? Nearest dealer I found is a couple hours away so I could possibly make an afternoon trip to try one out but was just wondering what others have done purchasing theirs?

Thanks,
Ken H

I purchased all three of mine from different online retailers: Eddie's Guitars, Humbucker Music, and Pitbull Audio. All three transactions were good. Pitbull Audio gave me a discount off of the website listed price and they shipped the guitar in a proper double box (neither of the other two did that), so they get my nod for the best purchase experience of the three. Any authorized Suhr dealer with a guitar that you like will probably be fine. Prior to purchasing the first one I had played several Suhr guitars at Matt's Music which is about a 90 minute drive from my home. I would have purchased from Matt's Music but they only have 3-7 Suhr guitars in stock at a given time and they haven't had what I've been in the market for at the time I had been ready to purchase.

I've never played an Ibanez JS model, so I don't have the knowledge necessary to do the direct comparison for you. The Suhr Modern Satin, Modern, and, Modern Plus guitars have a neck that is 20.3 mm - 21.6 mm with an elliptical profile and a 10-14 inch compound radius whereas the Ibanez JS2410 neck is 20 mm - 22.3 mm with a constant radius of about 10 inches.

If you're the type of player who is very picky about the neck carve then the only way to know if you'll like it is to get one in your hands. I suggest you make the drive and go try a few. Call the shop before hand and ask if you can bring one of your Ibanez guitars with you to try them side by side.

I played a few at Cosmo Music in Toronto and then ordered one a couple months later when I couldn't stop thinking about it :)

I bought my Modern from Andy's Guitars in Tallahassee without even seeing a Suhr in person before. I just searched for them on the internet and it seems that they've unfortunately closed shop. I had great dealings with them, especially because they were so willing to assist me as an international customer.

My main guitar before buying the Suhr was an Ibanez RGT42. At that stage, my musical endeavours were starting to "mature" from the classic shred stuff and subsequently I was yearning for more wood underneath my fingers. Buying the Suhr was easily one of the best purchases I've made in my life and was instrumental in me developing a player. Needless to say, it is my main guitar to this day. I've played a few Suhrs since and wouldn't mind adding a couple more to my arsenal, especially a T-style with a fixed bridge.

I bought mine from Eddie's hadn't tried one before hand, I was just really jouncing for one and they had exactly what I was looking for. And IMO when your talking guitars at that level of quality to me its not that big of a deal to order without trying. I generally do it all the time when I purchase a PRS because I know what im getting when it comes to them.

I ordered my Modern Pro HSH directly from Suhr (and waited, and waited, but it's a beaut'!)

Shameless plug: money is tight, that Suhr is essentially unplayed (i.e. MINT) and I need to sell it. But if you have something specific in mind, can't go wrong with getting Suhr to build it to your specs (worth the wait)

I bought mine from Rogue Music. It's a SSS Strat with the antique finish (in white). It's really a great guitar. I ordered it through Rogue Music, and knew that it would need to be built, which took around four months. Suhr got in contact with me immediately so we could discuss some minor customization that I wanted, including the addition of glowing side dots (I provided the materials for this). The resulting instrument was very impressive, and has all of the vintage essence a player would desire, along with the modern advantages of no-hum single coil pickups and a very stable vibrato.

How do u suhr guys get on with the pickups ?.. I have a couple of suhrs, love the neck and feel but struggle with the SSH+ bridge pickup ... too fizzy and undefined for me, just cannot get on with them . Got a suhr aura as well which has thornbuckers in and that’s a lot better for me , more rounded and warm ... so contemplating swapping the pups on the other ones ,very tempted to put some wolfetone Timberwolfs in ... we shall see ....but back on point the biggest disappointment to me is the SSH+ pickup just cannot get on with them, but wonderful guitars other than that

How do u suhr guys get on with the pickups ?.. I have a couple of suhrs, love the neck and feel but struggle with the SSH+ bridge pickup ... too fizzy and undefined for me, just cannot get on with them . Got a suhr aura as well which has thornbuckers in and that’s a lot better for me , more rounded and warm ... so contemplating swapping the pups on the other ones ,very tempted to put some wolfetone Timberwolfs in ... we shall see ....but back on point the biggest disappointment to me is the SSH+ pickup just cannot get on with them, but wonderful guitars other than that

I like the SSH+ pickup. The range of output you get with the volume control is very useful yielding shades of drive. I do sometimes feel that volume on 10 is a bit too much depending on the tone I'm going for, but that extra output is great for heavy tones and it makes the split sound nearly equal in volume to a true single coil pickup. The SSV in my classic S is better for classic rock tones.

Yes that was my thinking Zed... just too hot for me as u say the SSV would prob have been a better choice ... seems most of the new modern suhrs are all coming with the SSH+ nowadays ...think I will stick to the wolfetones

So it was a good excuse to buy another guitar , bought a lovely quilted blue suhr classic select with a pair of thornbuckers ... lovely pups , really nice clean and defined .. yes lower output but so much more definition and clarity than the ssh + ... guitar guitar in the UK really good to deal with

Back
Top Bottom