Where did warm ambient sound in music go?

There is another theory for neck pickup placement. Apparently when the pickup is fitted on the natural spot for a 22 fret neck guitar, it falls in the same spot where the 24th fret would be placed. Apparently this causes the pickup to miss a lot of the harmonic content of the note. You will notice this with single coils on a strat if you hit the 5th fret harmonic on an open string: you will be able to hear the full harmonic content in the first four positions but will hear less of it on the 5th position (neck).
If the pickup is fitted for a 24 fret neck it falls off of this spot and this artifact is less audible.

im not sure i understand

I think the biggest problem in the world is people who tell other people what they should be doing. We each have this one life and whether it's "you should listen to this kind of music" or "you should believe in this god" or "you should vote for this politician" it's all just other people minding other people's business.

What's wrong with the Aristeia kick sound? Low mids?

Confirmed! Worst kick ever.

What find the most annoying/irritating about these kinda tones is the super extreme gating they use. It sounds soooo unnatural and deliberate. I can't stand it, it's just awful.

I can understand that to many it would seem to constrain the tone - sort of going backward, toward an electronic keyboard enveloped sound - but I think it's just an interest in a very certain kind of action and sound. Almost like a harpsichord. Particularly in the video I linked I think the gate settings are designed to facilitate a kind of tapping with very little pick pressure. I kind of like this, and have explored it a little bit, and may again.....although with FW12 the articulation is so soft and smooth....the kind of which I've been struggling for, and is evident in my latest solo clip......not because I'm a decent player, but because it's so easy to get, which makes me very happy.

I think the biggest problem in the world is people who tell other people what they should be doing. We each have this one life and whether it's "you should listen to this kind of music" or "you should believe in this god" or "you should vote for this politician" it's all just other people minding other people's business.

I'm somewhat interested in what cultural elements are shaping people's minds.

I think it's very simple Loquenau. People can decide what they like. Other people can't decide it for other people. Sadly there are people who aren't strong enough to create their own opinions so what they do is see what other people like and start liking things because other people like them.

I think it's very simple Loquenau. People can decide what they like. Other people can't decide it for other people. Sadly there are people who aren't strong enough to create their own opinions so what they do is see what other people like and start liking things because other people like them.

I think they don't have the tools. Some are born with them. Others need them shown to them. Some would need to be born with them.

Preferences are fine and all, yet what one prefers may lack functionality for a given application, particularly in a broad-base scenario.

Regardless, that discussion is the 'why', not 'what' and 'how'.

((re-wrote, and added, some))

Last edited:
Last edited:
Regarding Mp3 - I think it's mp3 is not the enemy (at least not above 192kbit/s rate were there is only masking and no transient side effects hearable for those who know and understand what I'm talking about ;) ), it's mostly the mix - most todays music is limited in dynamics, pushed to the max - brick wall limiting to death! You wont hear any difference with a data compression algorithm because masking does not affect the dynamic content in the mix - because there isn't any left there :lol

Back
Top Bottom