Where are you facing when you record? IT MATTERS!!!!

I can't work like that. Stand wherever you want... Use headphones to track and mix with monitors.

When tracking guitar I face the monitors to get feedback when I want it. The dynamics seem to be more available and easily obtained that way.
Just like on stage.

I agree with your observation in that example. The bass is "fuller" i.e. louder but seems unfocused, not as crisp. Because I am a sucky player I always face the monitors because I'm touching the keyboard constantly setting up the next take or part. The result could be purely a result of room acoustics but there is merit to the idea that a guitar will sound better with signal getting into the pickups and if I'm not mistaken a lot of Atomic CLR owners (and others) have said their guitars sound better with a loud speaker in the room.

BTW, recording sounds crushing. +1 on share your patches.

It's not really an issue except for my high gain presets. There is just some ambient Rf crap floating around that I cannot get rid of, and have to use the gate. I wouldn't know the first thing of how to block it. The PC is from PC Audiolabs, and doesn't emit a bunch of junk at my pickups for the most part. Unlike my cell phone, good lord, that damned thing lets loose some of nastiest buzzes and pops if it's within even a couple feet of the guitar.

I think it all depends on the room and setup. I do have to face at an angle to get a better noise ratio, like away from the computer and monitors but only slight angle like 45 degree's or so.

Yeppers. I have a sweet spot that minimizes hum and interference. It is almost-but-mot-quite 90 decrees from facing the monitor, which fortunately is mostly towards the axe.

I don't notice a great deal of difference. I suspect in real life, it would be more dramatic. But, your ears are facing a different direction when you turn around, so that would change your perception. Facing the monitors, your ears would hear more directly produced sound and less reflections, then when you turn around you'd hear less directly produced sound and more relections.

I think it all depends on the room and setup. I do have to face at an angle to get a better noise ratio, like away from the computer and monitors but only slight angle like 45 degree's or so.

This is what I've started doing! :D

When you are turned away from the monitor you pick harder.

Quite possibly! I'm not perfect :D

I don't notice a great deal of difference. I suspect in real life, it would be more dramatic. But, your ears are facing a different direction when you turn around, so that would change your perception. Facing the monitors, your ears would hear more directly produced sound and less reflections, then when you turn around you'd hear less directly produced sound and more relections.

Well this is exactly why I put the DI signal there so that you could compare directly in front of you :D

Cool video !

Mind sharing the bass presets ? Sweet sound

Of course! I already posted it!
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/90210-gritty-aggressive-bass-tone-metal.html

If you guys like what I do and the patches etc, come give my FB page a like and check out my EP! :D

FB: https://www.facebook.com/tjppo
BC: https://tjpp.bandcamp.com

Shit,i dont have a XL. So i can not import the preset.
Well thanks :)

Btw:it`s up on axe change

Just turn until you hear that slight hum or buzz go away, if it doesnt...then oh well. But id also say putting your rig on top of a hs8 (large speaker)..is living pretty dangerously.

Some basic recording tips for anyone having problems with RF interference, hiss, niose, hum, groundloop etc.:

1) Make shure all your recording gear is grounded properly and gets its power from the same power supply source in the house (put all audio equipment in the same wall plug).
2) Always use shielded cables for audio signals and try to go digital.
3) Use balanced audio connections (XLR, TRS).
4) Try to seperate audio cables from power cables. Dont just put them next to each other.
5) Use the shortest cables suitable for the distances in your recording space.
6) Wall warts: Plug them in all facing in the same direction and bring them away as far as possible from the other audio equipment (especially guitar pickups).
7) Lighting in the room: get rid of dimmers if possible.
8 ) Computers: Turn your guitar in different directions while sitting / standing at your recording spot to determine the best (quietest) direction to place your computer. I've got the best results by putting the PC on my left side facing me with its small front and forming a direct line with the guitar on my lap while sitting at my recording desk).
9) Cell phones: Put them away as far as possible from audio gear and guitar pickups or turn them off.
10) Turn off anything with an electrical motor (eg. girlfriend's hair dryer, kitchen mixer, vacuum cleaner, air fans, airconditioners, ...).
11) Use humbuckers and get rid of your old CRT monitors ;)

To find other sources of interference, just put your guitar's pickups near to various things to detect RF emissions.
Cheers, Max

Some basic recording tips for anyone having problems with RF interference, hiss, niose, hum, groundloop etc.:

1) Make shure all your recording gear is grounded properly and gets its power from the same power supply source in the house (put all audio equipment in the same wall plug).
2) Always use shielded cables for audio signals and try to go digital.
3) Use balanced audio connections (XLR, TRS).
4) Try to seperate audio cables from power cables. Dont just put them next to each other.
5) Use the shortest cables suitable for the distances in your recording space.
6) Wall warts: Plug them in all facing in the same direction and bring them away as far as possible from the other audio equipment (especially guitar pickups).
7) Lighting in the room: get rid of dimmers if possible.
8 ) Computers: Turn your guitar in different directions while sitting / standing at your recording spot to determine the best (quietest) direction to place your computer. I've got the best results by putting the PC on my left side facing me with its small front and forming a direct line with the guitar on my lap while sitting at my recording desk).
9) Cell phones: Put them away as far as possible from audio gear and guitar pickups or turn them off.
10) Turn off anything with an electrical motor (eg. girlfriend's hair dryer, kitchen mixer, vacuum cleaner, air fans, airconditioners, ...).
11) Use humbuckers and get rid of your old CRT monitors ;)

To find other sources of interference, just put your guitar's pickups near to various things to detect RF emissions.
Cheers, Max

All good advice. If you can't avoid having audio and power cables together, just ensure they don't run parallel right next to each other. By having them cross each other perpendicular, you may able to reduce some RF noise. Not a perfect solution, but it has worked for me in the past when I didn't have a choice.

Back
Top Bottom