When you update firmware is they're a reset for all amps?

mcgyver

Inspired
When you update firmware is they're a reset for all amps to give the amps the benefit of the new firmware?
But without changing the master and output levels in presets???
Not sure if I am asking the question correctly or not ???

I don't want to reset everything. I want to apply the new benefits of the firmware.
Hope that makes sense?

If you reset the amps...they go back to factory...and you lose your tweaking. I believe that if you reset them, and then you position each control exactly as they were before the reset, you would end up with the same exact sounds as before. So no benefit to resetting the amps. But this is only what I think, not what I know for sure.

Maybe the resident experts can chime in if I be wrong! (Which I probably is) :)

I think he means resetting the amp block after an update. Rather than going through each preset and resetting the amp block he wants a way to do them all at once. I think that is what he meant?

I don't want to reset everything. I want to apply the new benefits of the firmware.
Hope that makes sense?
The new benefits are applied when you update firmware because the firmware is updated. If you want some new DEFAULT settings, then go ahead and reset all the amps in all your presets.

Use your ears, not your eyes.

I think that fractool can do it.
Interesting ... I see there is a section in Fractool called "Batch Setter" - never noticed it before, never used it ... but sounds like it might do exactly what you're suggesting. Thanks for suggesting it, and thanks to Al Grenadine for putting it in there. Going to try it now ...

If you reset the amps...they go back to factory...and you lose your tweaking. I believe that if you reset them, and then you position each control exactly as they were before the reset, you would end up with the same exact sounds as before. So no benefit to resetting the amps. But this is only what I think, not what I know for sure.

Maybe the resident experts can chime in if I be wrong! (Which I probably is) :)
Even if you set all the parameters the same it may not sound the same because firmware can change the ways amps sound, :) you can also reset advanced parameters and leave the basic ones alone.

Select/Deselect is the correct procedure after firmware update, not reset block unless you want to wipe all your BMT, Gain, etc controls also. Check Fractool for a possible batch command

Even if you set all the parameters the same it may not sound the same because firmware can change the ways amps sound, :) you can also reset advanced parameters and leave the basic ones alone.
Yes, I know that, and it was why I said what I said...assuming he did a F/W update and THEN reset them. What I said was that the sounds would not change if he dialed in the exact same settings AFTER a reset. I had assumed he already done a FW update.

When you update firmware is they're a reset for all amps to give the amps the benefit of the new firmware?
But without changing the master and output levels in presets???
Not sure if I am asking the question correctly or not ???

8 beta does not require a soft or hard reset of the amp models in your presets.

I can understand why it is confusing to people. It still confuses me sometimes after all those years. There used to be a 'reset all amps' or 'update all amps' option but I think that is no more (?).

What I don't understand is that when you reset the amp block and then change some parameters on the basic 'page' of an amp and then want to go to another amp model (in the same preset) these changes you made to the first amp stay in the next amp. So when going to the next amp the 'basic' settings don't change to the default state of the next amp. The advanced settings change though and also the second row of the basic page I think (?). So you have to reset the amp block each time you are trying another amp model and want to begin from scratch. Same goes for the basic fx settings like delay time of chorus rate etc. Can anyone explain why that is? I can understand why it works like that with the Fx but not why it is like that with with the amps.

Last edited:
As a relatively new user of the Axe FX I am very confused about this. TBH ATM I do not have any presets that I must keep intact. I currently use an FX8 & Marshall JVM for gigging but I would like to transition to using the AXE FX.

So when a new firmware is released what do I do if I want to make best use of it?

Select a factory preset and then what? Soft reset the amp? How do I do that? Once done then do I have to tweak the amp controls to my liking or are they then set for what is considered the best default?

If anyone could give a detailed explanation of the best way to proceed after a firmware upgrade then I would appreciate it.

Cheers

As a relatively new user of the Axe FX I am very confused about this. TBH ATM I do not have any presets that I must keep intact. I currently use an FX8 & Marshall JVM for gigging but I would like to transition to using the AXE FX.

So when a new firmware is released what do I do if I want to make best use of it?

Select a factory preset and then what? Soft reset the amp? How do I do that? Once done then do I have to tweak the amp controls to my liking or are they then set for what is considered the best default?

If anyone could give a detailed explanation of the best way to proceed after a firmware upgrade then I would appreciate it.

Cheers

Explained here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wicked-wiki-19-defaulting-the-amp-block.125454/

Soft reset: just re-select the amp type.
Hard reset: reset the entire block, either in Axe-Edit or by press Bypass twice.

If the release notes do not urge you to perform a reset, there's no need to do so.

I can understand why it is confusing to people. It still confuses me sometimes after all those years. There used to be a 'reset all amps' or 'update all amps' option but I think that is no more (?).

What I don't understand is that when you reset the amp block and then change some parameters on the basic 'page' of an amp and then want to go to another amp model (in the same preset) these changes you made to the first amp stay in the next amp. So when going to the next amp the 'basic' settings don't change to the default state of the next amp. The advanced settings change though and also the second row of the basic page I think (?). So you have to reset the amp block each time you are trying another amp model and want to begin from scratch. Same goes for the basic fx settings like delay time of chorus rate etc. Can anyone explain why that is? I can understand why it works like that with the Fx but not why it is like that with with the amps.

I think that any method will have pros and cons.

It makes common sense that most parameters in the Amp block return to default values when an amp model is selected.

It's open for discussion if that should also be the case with the basic controls (Bass, Mid, Treble, Drive etc.).

I can see your point. But some models represent a single amp, with different channels or modes. In such cases it's logical for the controls to remain where they are set at.

I think that any method will have pros and cons.

It makes common sense that most parameters in the Amp block return to default values when an amp model is selected.

It's open for discussion if that should also be the case with the basic controls (Bass, Mid, Treble, Drive etc.).

I agree you can't do it right for everyone. I was talking mainly about the drive and master volume settings. For most amps these are the most crucial ones. And that has also effect on the level parameter. These drive, gain (and level) settings don't transfer well from one amp model to another I think and yet they stay the same when you select a new amp model. I think only the first row of the basic page parameters stay the same and all other parameters change (?). When I change the amp model I always do a manual reset.

Reactions: yek
Interesting ... I see there is a section in Fractool called "Batch Setter" - never noticed it before, never used it ... but sounds like it might do exactly what you're suggesting. Thanks for suggesting it, and thanks to Al Grenadine for putting it in there. Going to try it now ...
You know I thought that it was an option, but it may have been one of those things that I thought up when I was reading the features of FracTool. If it works let us know.

ONCE AGAIN we find many people uncertain about what to do when Firmware is updated. Can someone at FAS please create, or authorize someone, to do 'The Final Definitive Tutorial', a video, on this topic. I know 'yek' has posted info. but lets get beyond this. It really is the horse that gets beaten every time a new version comes out. The updates are spectacular but too many people are still confused about how to 'properly' enable them. Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom