When You Tell The Soundguy You're Using An AXE FX...

pjrake

Inspired
...and he replies, "What's that?" How should we respond? That it's a digital modeler? I feel like it kinda has a negative connotation. Since my guitarist and I started using the AXE last year, we've gotten maybe a half dozen times the response "It's that like a POD?".

So, how do you guys explain to a soundguy who doesn't know what an AXE FX is, or never ran across someone who goes direct to the FOH?

-PJ

Basically the same thing here. I just say that I run direct, end of story. Keyboards are direct, acoustic guitar is direct, so is the bass. It shouldn't be a new concept. I also don't go into the EQ being flat, or effects not needed, any of that. I figure I don't know the room, or the PA, and I'm not going to bet my life that I made the most perfect patches in the world. So I'm not going to tell the sound guy how to do his job. I say that I run direct, and they say OK. Pretty simple.

If it's a multiple set show, or if there is a break between sound check and the show, I'll talk with the sound guy during the breaks. I'll ask if the level is OK. I'll also ask, "Hey, just out of curiosity, what kind of EQ do you have on the guitar?" They like to talk shop, and if you word it right, appreciate that you show in interest in what they do. If they do EQ my channel, I'll find out how and why. I don't always have the chance to set up my patches at volume, or with a band. If they made a change, and it sounds good, I'll revisit my patches to see how I can make them better. My patches were too dark for a while. All of the sound guys were making the same adjustments to my channel. I made some slight changes to my IR's, and now all is good.

Basically the same thing here. I just say that I run direct, end of story. Keyboards are direct, acoustic guitar is direct, so is the bass. It shouldn't be a new concept. I also don't go into the EQ being flat, or effects not needed, any of that. I figure I don't know the room, or the PA, and I'm not going to bet my life that I made the most perfect patches in the world. So I'm not going to tell the sound guy how to do his job. I say that I run direct, and they say OK. Pretty simple.

If it's a multiple set show, or if there is a break between sound check and the show, I'll talk with the sound guy during the breaks. I'll ask if the level is OK. I'll also ask, "Hey, just out of curiosity, what kind of EQ do you have on the guitar?" They like to talk shop, and if you word it right, appreciate that you show in interest in what they do. If they do EQ my channel, I'll find out how and why. I don't always have the chance to set up my patches at volume, or with a band. If they made a change, and it sounds good, I'll revisit my patches to see how I can make them better. My patches were too dark for a while. All of the sound guys were making the same adjustments to my channel. I made some slight changes to my IR's, and now all is good.

This. Interest in and checking in with, however temporary, part of your crew.

Or, just like said above, say you're going direct and go and play.

"Yes, it is kinda like a Pod from 20 years in the future bolted to an Eventide processor."

Reactions: sam
I like to say that I'm providing a mic'd cabinet / EQ'd tone, and that they should be able to run me flat, depending on the room. If I have to describe the Axe-FX I call it a "studio quality modeller". Some times I'll throw in the term "world class".

Terry.

Started working with a new sound guy back in Sept at a new place. Came in day 1. He was what do you need. I said line level XLR cable and neutral on the EQ please.
After setting sound levels he came up to me and said "I love you, and your tone".

He then asked more about the magical black box.

I honestly have come across several sound guys now who are excited to see my band on the bill because they know I have the Axe Fx. It's pretty cool, isn't it? :)

When playing out last Friday the sound guy came up to me in the intermission and said, "I was wondering why your guitar sounded so good and then I went up and took a look and saw you were using an Axe FX".

Another sound guy thread?

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/77018-how-do-you-deal-engineer-ignorance.html

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ions-have-you-had-regarding-stereo-setup.html

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-...dman-want-let-you-run-your-signal-direct.html

And a soundguy who NEVER had someone go direct is new to the job, or simply too drunk to remember the last time he did it.

They work for YOU...simply state this is what they have to deal with (echo the 'bass player...XLR out' statement above.) Let the tone speak for itself. Most will appreciate how easy it is to dial your levels in.

But don't piss them off...noone has more power to make your band sound like 5 lbs of crap in a 1 lb bag.

R

Back
Top Bottom