When Will There Be An Updated Owner's Manual?

Reaper manuals are great because the changes are presented in first pages, including the exact page where you can read each update details

I may have to print out the new manual... nice resilient paper... maybe 'money' paper... and put it in a loop binder, with thick card covers... :joyous:

I like to at least have one hard copy print-out. There have been several times when I've had to refer back to it:

* Look up something when we're at a gig in the mountains, with no cell-phone/i'net reception.

* Look something up before I go to sleep, lying in bed.

* Do some research while I'm a passenger, and someone else is driving.

* Pull over to the side of the road, if I have an epiphany while driving, and look something up.

I like to at least have one hard copy print-out. There have been several times when I've had to refer back to it:

* Look up something when we're at a gig in the mountains, with no cell-phone/i'net reception.

* Look something up before I go to sleep, lying in bed.

* Do some research while I'm a passenger, and someone else is driving.

* Pull over to the side of the road, if I have an epiphany while driving, and look something up.
To me that's not enough reason to go dragging a thick heavy stack of paper around.

I don't even think I received a manual with my II...

I don't have much in documents on my phone, but the manuals to the II and my 12+ are in the SDcard. Also in my iPad, which is also my music reader with set list and hopefully soon the remote control of my monitoring on the digital mixer, so I have to take that anyway. Or when I forget it, I play by ear. Which will work too. I mostly need some reminders.

Last edited:
for some reason i love reading manuals on the throne..
tapping on the ipad just doesn't give the same satisfaction as flipping pages.

Old-fashioned gits, you.
And me, too. If I had to choose just one format, it'd be PDF all the way. But when you're studying up on something, nothing beats the immediacy, comfort and context of two pages of paper facing off against each other.

And me, too. If I had to choose just one format, it'd be PDF all the way. But when you're studying up on something, nothing beats the immediacy, comfort and context of two pages of paper facing off against each other.
On the throne for sure .... :mrgreen

Reactions: Rex
Id like to see the Amp and Cab sections written two ways -

Firstly a traditional "this control does this" type section, basically updating the current chapters

Secondly, a "how to change your sound" section. The how to change your sound section would explaining how to do certain scenarios such as "add grit", "cut lowend flabiness" or "increase high end",etc.

An example for "increase high end" would show the following with a brief explanation of the differences between the options :-
1) increase presence control
2) turn up treble
3) increase "Brightness" control
4) Increase "High Cut" frequency

This I'd find much more useful when editing so I could find the correct controls for my needs quicker.

I feel for M@, or whoever is responsible for writing the manual. I work during the day as a technical writer. Much of my work involves writing and editing operations and maintenance manuals for electronic systems used to help train Air Force pilots. I once imagined being tasked with creating a User Manual for the Axe from scratch. All I had was a blank slate, and the internal resources available from Fractal. That imaginary scenario made me appreciate the great job that Fractal did when writing the manual. The fact that the product is constantly under development adds to the challenge.

In a perfect world, the manual would address every available parameter (for every available "type" of each block) in detail and would include an explanation of what each does and why you would adjust it in a particular way. This would require a lot of Cliff’s time, no matter who did the actual writing. A lot of information is missing from the manual, even for blocks and features already covered. But a comprehensive manual would be twice as thick as the current one and would take considerably more time to create. I’ve always been a fan of extremely detailed documentation, probably due to my history as an engineer/writer for the military. I know a lot of people who are the opposite.

What I would like is a copy of the document in a format that can be edited. This way, I could make my own additions to it as I wanted.

What steadystate said. Putting together a good manual for even the simplest stuff is very non-trivial. The Axe is a multifaceted beast, and the current manual is very thorough, well-written and cross-referenced.

I'm for PDF manuals all the way, FAS can keep product costs lower (or make more profit) by not becoming a print shop.

An editable version to add notes, diagrams, highlight text, etc. would be very useful.

Last edited:
Not with Acrobat 8. I tried. All I can do is mark it up. If it can be done, I haven't yet figured out how.
True, but it'll do what ccclitz asked for: "add notes, diagrams, highlight text, etc."

I can't speak for Fractal, but a lot of companies are cautious about having live versions of their documents floating around. It's too easy to wind up with phony versions of things, or to have one user's personal notes misinterpreted as gospel.

I like to read manuals in bed before I go to sleep but maybe I am freak? ;)
Therefore I prefer the paper manual.

There are still some mistakes in the latest manual. For example it says the plex delay has freq 1,2,3,4 and feedback 1,2,3,4 (a freq en feedback knob for each tap). But it only has one master frequency and feedback knob instead of four.

Not with Acrobat 8. I tried. All I can do is mark it up. If it can be done, I haven't yet figured out how.
I think Adobe charges for the ability to edit, and it's subscription based if I remember correctly.

There are however many other PDF editors and creators out there, that are one time purchases.

There are still some mistakes in the latest manual. For example it says the plex delay has freq 1,2,3,4 and feedback 1,2,3,4 (a freq en feedback knob for each tap). But it only has one master frequency and feedback knob instead of four.
Sounds like a good post for the Manual Errata thread. :)

Back
Top Bottom