When will the updates stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I upgrade my computer, I don't have to spend $2,200 on a whole new complete build.
this is not true for every possible "upgrade." you do have to buy a completely new machine sometimes. if you don't understand how computers work, you might think you can just buy a $100 part and put it inside somehow.

Thanks for the good reasonable replies from some of you. It's funny how a question that should be easily answered with " probably not for a while", or "I think we're getting pretty close" brings out the best in people.
i don't think anyone here has that actual information other than the manufacturers, and i don't think they'd ever share that information either. who wants to broadcast to the world when their product will stop being updated? sales would stop almost immediately, in any industry.

I would expect a new release of a major product in 18 months or so honestly, so really how many more FW releases can there be?

If you don't like to update, why bother how many are there to come? It's our problem to deal with it, isn't it. And the most of us love it man.

The OP's post is like throwing red meet to wolves! And I get the reaction by some as we have all spent money, time and effort on the product. And most are also appreciative of Fractal's efforts to improve the product. But I also have some questions about the updates:
1. Under Q6 we were told that the Axe was accurate to the amps with video and presets to boot. http://www.fractalaudio.com/accurate.php

Q7 was then released with note that said: "Note that this change may be significant and initially alarming with certain amp models. While the new algorithms are much more accurate they may be disconcerting to those who are accustomed to the old algorithms."

If Q6 was accurate then what is Q7? And now Q8?

2. My Kemper sound has really never changed for the past 2 or 3 years I've had it. In that sense, it is even more reliable than a real amp! Interestingly enough I got a splitter and ran the signal to my Axe with Q8.01 and my Kemper and pulled up similar amps and they are pretty much indistinguishable from each other with minimal tweaking. When I toggled the switch so I lost track of which was which I had a 50:50 shot at getting it right.

3. Do the reference amps at Fractal really change in sound so dramatically? I get that amps can sound different from day to day and depending on how long they have been on etc but is it really so different that the difference in sound could be described as "initially alarming" and "disconcerting" enough that the algorithm for its sounds have to change so much to match the new sound?

Personally I sometimes I wonder if the new FW is better (which for me is defined as being as close
To the sound of the real reference amp) or simply different (like if you played several versions of the same amp and the all had slight differences). Based on my A/B testing with the KPA, I think 8.01 is pretty close to the actual amp it is modeling. To those who say "Well just don't update" I will preemptivly answer that if there is a way to load bug fixes, new amps and any new effects without changing the current amp sounds in future FW updates, I would be happy to keep the sounds that I have now.

Edit: If I just profiled my Axe amp and Cab with the KPA I guess I could have exactly what I want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think of it like target shooting. The Axe-FX is accurate. It's been hitting the target for a very long time. With each successive firmware, it groups it's shots a little better.

Now, the Kemper takes a drastically different approach. It takes a static snapshot (profile) of an amp and applies generic amp behaviors to that snapshot. I believe that's why it's stays more uniform over time. It's effective, and some people get very good results with it. I prefer Fractal's amp modeling. I just feels like the right approach to me.

Edit: If I just profiled my Axe amp and Cab with the KPA I guess I could have exactly what I want.

Kinda sorta. The KPA can profile an amp model pretty accurately, but it's much less accurate when profiling cab sims.

The workaround would be to run the KPA into the Axe FX via 4CM and turn off the Kemper's cab section, then use an Axe FX profile in conjunction with a cab block to load the IR you normally use.

Last edited:
I've used the same main 4 or 5 presets for at least two years now on both the Axe Fx xl+ and the AX8. I always update when a new firmware is available (beta or final) and it never takes me more than 5 minutes to sort out my sound. Usually just basic control adjustments, sometimes none.

Seems to me there's a lot of (or all) assumption going on in the op.

I'm going to buy a new Lamborghini when they get 70 mpg, have flat free tires and guarantee them to NEVER break down! How long do you think I'll be waiting?
Cool. Can I send you my 100+ presets with 3-5 scenes to update too? The first major assumption is that your case applies to everyone else ...

Thanks for the good reasonable replies from some of you. It's funny how a question that should be easily answered with " probably not for a while", or "I think we're getting pretty close" brings out the best in people. lol

As stated previously, I currently use an Ultra because it sounds awesome and I have it dialed like I like and it's stable. I have MY sound already (it sounds pretty much the same on any gear) and am not searching and experimenting for something that feels right, nor trying to emulate other peoples tones. I know what I want and I know how to get it out of damn near anything within reason, it's just how easily and predictable can I get there? From my experience loading different FW versions on the Ultra, it can very much completely screw up some of your presets. It can also drastically alter the output level between presets that were previously well balanced. If I would have bought an Ultra back in FW 7 I might have returned it, but FW 11 got me to sell nearly all my amps off. What was the calendar dates between those just out of curiosity?

I gather from a couple replies that this change is not nearly as drastic with later revisions specifically on the II (a device I don't own but would like to, hence why I'm asking this question in the first place)

If the answer is truly simply "when the Axe III comes out", then I'll purchase and Axe II that week at a great price and happily use my Ultra until that day happens.

Judging from this response, the OP got a suffiencent answer.

So I'm going to close this thread, not because of the question, but because where some of the responses are starting to head.

The people with additional information are able to reopen and add to this thread in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom