When will the updates stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's easy for me. Tweak until you get close enough, move on. Don't spend much time on it.

I get why some people gripe but I don't mind starting from scratch and tone tweaking at all. I think it's fun! Out of all the firmware updates maybe a couple of times it sounded (worse-subjective), but then another update came out and it sounded better than ever. And even of those few times where perhaps I didn't like how it sounded initially, new features and parameters were introduced which made it worth while and I was also able to make my patches sound good with some tweaking. There's so many different ways to change the scope of your sound to a place you like and enjoy on the axe it's crazy, and easy!

Posts deleted. Please refrain from inappropriate language.

When I upgrade my computer, I don't have to spend $2,200 on a whole new complete build.
What?
The last time anyone had to buy a new axe fx to continue getting updates was in 2011, 6 YEARS ago! I have an axe fx 2 non-xl and I'm still getting free updates.

I think you need a time out from the internet.

Thanks for the good reasonable replies from some of you. It's funny how a question that should be easily answered with " probably not for a while", or "I think we're getting pretty close" brings out the best in people. lol

As stated previously, I currently use an Ultra because it sounds awesome and I have it dialed like I like and it's stable. I have MY sound already (it sounds pretty much the same on any gear) and am not searching and experimenting for something that feels right, nor trying to emulate other peoples tones. I know what I want and I know how to get it out of damn near anything within reason, it's just how easily and predictable can I get there? From my experience loading different FW versions on the Ultra, it can very much completely screw up some of your presets. It can also drastically alter the output level between presets that were previously well balanced. If I would have bought an Ultra back in FW 7 I might have returned it, but FW 11 got me to sell nearly all my amps off. What was the calendar dates between those just out of curiosity?

I gather from a couple replies that this change is not nearly as drastic with later revisions specifically on the II (a device I don't own but would like to, hence why I'm asking this question in the first place)

If the answer is truly simply "when the Axe III comes out", then I'll purchase and Axe II that week at a great price and happily use my Ultra until that day happens.

I started with an ultra on FW11 and loved it, but I used it for one application and for one set of sounds. I didn't bond with the factory IR's at all on the Ultra.

I bought my AX8 on FW 4 and have enjoyed the improvements and additions up to FW8 as they inspire me to try new approaches and pull new tones; each firmware update has made it easier to dial in fresh tones and the factory IR's are great.

Whatever makes you want to play the guitar!

If the answer is truly simply "when the Axe III comes out", then I'll purchase and Axe II that week at a great price and happily use my Ultra until that day happens.
I think this is probably the case and strikes me as a perfectly reasonable strategy. And you will probably get a great deal in exchange for your patience. The Ultra rocks still and it sounds like it serves you well.

Most people who dig digital guitar tech want to ride that new tech wave, and Fractal is the cream of the crop... but if you highly value that stability I would only expect it at end of life for the product.

Also, while I think the FWs have gotten less dialing intensive in aggregate I would never expect them to stop being disruptive. As recently as Q7 I have found complete reworking of stuff necessary, so I think claims that the FW churn does not affect users who try to keep pace to be a bit of a rationalization. IMHO.

Why couldn't they start over and make it modular?
The discrete components that are used in the unit don't make this easy. It would be cost-prohibitive to adapt the components to be modular and unlikely to provide much future expansion as DSPs, unlike CPUs, don't retain much in the way of compatibility across revisions and product lines. There's a picture on the wiki of the main board -- you can see everything is surface mounted, not socketed.

I don't think it's unreasonable to want the latest and greatest firmware yet simultaneously not want to retweak profiles in order to maintain continuity. I'm certainly not opposed to free updates in any way, shape or form. It's all voluntary anyway. For those who spend a lot of time tweaking their profiles to perfection, installing a new update can be bittersweet.

Updates will end next Friday when Cliff finalizes sale of Fractal Audio to line 6.

You'll never have to worry about another update again.

I appreciate the updates but I quit using them eons ago. I only did a few and quickly realized that they are a complete hassle if I'm already satisfied with my sounds. For me, the last compelling FW update was 10.00 when SCENES were introduced. I like SCENES. Since then, it's mainly been amps and overdrives of which I have more than I could ever possibly exhaust. I play in 3 bands. I currently have something like 64 presets by song and several have multiple scenes. These bands rarely rehearse anymore so I don't really have an opportunity to see how a new amp or update would sit in our mix. We play to a click. When we get rusty, we practice to our recordings. For us, its best if nothing changes, including my guitar tones. I have time for other electives - cycling, fly fishing, skiing, etc.,

I think most gigging guitarists approach it this way. After all, it's not like we used to run out and buy a bunch of new amps and a new pedalboard every few weeks. Oh, wait.... ;-)

I've used the same main 4 or 5 presets for at least two years now on both the Axe Fx xl+ and the AX8. I always update when a new firmware is available (beta or final) and it never takes me more than 5 minutes to sort out my sound. Usually just basic control adjustments, sometimes none.

Seems to me there's a lot of (or all) assumption going on in the op.

I'm going to buy a new Lamborghini when they get 70 mpg, have flat free tires and guarantee them to NEVER break down! How long do you think I'll be waiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom