When will the updates stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I love the Axe, but to try and maintain an arsenal of per song presets for gigging covers while staying current FW, it's a huge chore. I stopped updating my gigging presets back at firmware 17. I just made backups, and whenever I gig, load the FW, restore the backups, and good to go, quick and painless.

After the gig, load current FW, restore backup and done.

always backup. This ability to load any version and restore backups like this is the greatest feature of the Axe-Fx II IMHO.

I started with FW14 and thought than wow that's like real ( or what i assumed for the real thing)
It turns out i knew nothing about how real real is, as i started reading ...
I'd say there is no better time to start with a II than now, why ?

It's more real now :)

I gather many of you are pleased when a new update is rolled out, but I personally have zero interest in constantly re-tweaking everything because of all the work I did while everything was still in beta mode essentially. So without starting a pissing match about how great constant updates are or aren't, how long until we reach a steady state like the Ultra enjoys with 11?
I ask because I'd like to get a II, but only after all the bugs and "upgrades" are finalized so that nothing changes behind the scenes screwing up my patches I worked so hard for.

I also hope, that it never ends!
You're not forced to install updates.
Improvement is the right way ...
Improvement causes changes in sound and funcionality.
No improvement means, to move backwards in development at a certain point.
That's not, what we want, I think.

One PITA for me staying on older FW is the update nag from AxeEdit, if you ever say "yes" to the download, you just moved past your current firmware.

There is an archive of older versions of AxeEdit that I Search up on the forum, but AxeEdit is not old FW friendly.

One PITA for me staying on older FW is the update nag from AxeEdit, if you ever say "yes" to the download, you just moved past your current firmware.

There is an archive of older versions of AxeEdit that I Search up on the forum, but AxeEdit is not old FW friendly.

"don't ask me again" for this and all of the other AE prompts would be nice

Personally, I love that the firmware is constantly improved and the sounds keep getting better and better.

I've got a day job, and only a limited amount of time spend playing guitar and pretty much all of that time goes to futzing with presets now. It's like trying to drink from the fire hose of upgrades that Cliff has turned on us.

I don't know how typical I am, but I have about 15 presets based on different amps that I've set up to match with different guitars, moods, genres or whatever. One of the things that I love about the Axe is that I have all of these cool amps available to me. But seriously, for the past 6 months or so, there hasn't been any time when all of them have been in a "done" state at once. That's basically because, as soon as I get close, Cliff says something like, "You guys are gonna pee yourselves over the next release", and I'm in, and my presets are all in a mess again.

A few examples:

The Wrecker Rocket was a "go to" model for me for classic rock tones. Somewhere around Q7 it changed from awesome, chimey overdrive to awful, grindy yuk. I don't know why. I haven't had a chance to go back to and try to see if it sounds better with Q8 yet.

At some point way back the Silver Face Twin had amazing dynamic response and "bounce" when clean. At some point later it stopped being like that. I haven't checked it lately to see if it came back. With Q8 I noticed that it has moved over to the Shiva clean. It's awesome now, try it on some of those Doobie Bros hammer-on chord rhythms. At the same time, the Shiva lead tone has moved in the other direction, it seems way more compressed to me and closer to the real thing to me. I have a friend who has a 1x12 Shiva combo, and it has the smoothest, creamiest overdrive I've ever heard - almost too much, to the point where it becomes really distinctive. The Axe model has just about captured that now, it's very cool.

For a while the Fender Concert lost it's warmth and rounded tone, it sounded very much like the Keith Urban Twin to me. Not that that's a bad tone, but it was a big change and not what I was looking for in that model. With Q8, it's back to that warm tone and sounds better than ever.

Also, the way these models change so much with the firmware, I never know if an amp model I couldn't bond with in the past was just because it suffered in the release that I tried it in. So I have to put aside some time to go try those models out again to see if I like them now.

So, I'm not complaining. These are good problems to have. But I can understand that there's a big potential for change fatigue, and those of us with limited time to spend with a guitar in their hands have to evolve some strategy to cope with the pace that the updates come out. Maybe update only once a quarter? Maybe have less presets?

If you REALLY wanna know, I recommend trying one of theese:

1.jpg

Seriously....if you don't want to install the updates, then don't. There is nothing stopping anyone for sticking with Firmware 6.0, or 12, or Q6.02 etc

+1 , i'm with Fw 15 , it sound awesome to me.i try every new firmware, just to see.then come back to my favorite firwmare.it's great to have the choice ! :)

You the bouncer?

That was just such a dumb question from the OP and the answer is so obvious. The updates will stop when there's no hardware left, like the ultra - there was no more space left. And to the second part of the question, there's no obligation to update in the first place. The OP is a troll and started a pissing match. Hopefully there will be enough room for plenty of updates for the original and mkII for as long as possible. Thanks to Cliff & team for making that possible! I absolutely appreciate the mentality/ philosophy of FAS constantly improving their products, it's why I invested in the product and I'm sure the majority of others as well.

... I'd like to get a II, but only after all the bugs and "upgrades" are finalized so that nothing changes behind the scenes screwing up my patches I worked so hard for.

With thinking like this, I assume you are still running Windows 3.1

Last edited:
To me this subject is quite simple:
1. The AX8 was a more than respectable product when it came out. Definitely no beta.
2. I bought one of the early AX8s in Germany. Today my AX8 sounds quite a bit better. Because of updates.
3. Constant retweaking of presets is a pita. But there´s a price you have to pay.
4. You can still be happy.

Happy like: Today I heard a 71 year old guitarist from Hamburg on stage, a guest musician with three other pros: He played through a small Fane combo, two small pedals attached on top of the amp (one a bias tremolo emulation), some poor cables as connectors, a 1955 Guild, a decent PA and a great soundguy. He had a sound to die for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom