When will the updates stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the II came out, there was one more FW update for the Standard/Ultra, which was FW11. Yes, those units really did go to 11.

It incorporated a few tweaks, bugfixes and elements of Gen 2 modelling, but aside from that the update cycle for the old product ended when the new product shipped. I assume the II -> III transition will be the same way.

With the II, I'm just a little uncomfortable buying a product that could radically change for the better at some random time in the future with a new firmware release. I would want the better firmware, but would likely have to do some tweaking to account for some changes with my patches.

Okay, first... yeah the nerve of those Fractal bastards, sitting around and working to improve things, to introduce NEW FEATURES and take into account USER REQUEST.... IE; its not bug fixes for an incomplete product, and offering it all at the irresistible price of FREE. Just ruins my whole week when I log onto the forum and see Cliff did it again....makes me so mad I ever bought the stupid thing I could punch a wall!

Second, yes my entitled friend, you might have to do a little tweaking if there is a radical improvement. That is life for most everyone on the planet who owns an Axe, with the except of maybe a few A list rock stars that can probably get on the phone and tell M to fly out, update their firmware and retweak everything. I'm sure the amount of time Cliff and Co put into improving the firmware is 10:1 the amount of time the user has to spend tweaking it, and again, you don't have to update it if you don't want to.

Finally, you do realize how silly your fear of upgrading because something better might come along with regards to consumer electronics is ?? Lets go ahead and say that in X months the II is at the end of life, nothing more can be changed (though we've heard Cliff say that before and yet here we are lol). So you go and get your II, and your seemingly happy. But then boom, you go to your computer and see the Axe III announcement. Radically improved modeling and effects, all running based around the latest epiphany Cliff has when hitting hit head falling off the toilet for the Nth time. Well uh oh, you just bought a product that could radically change for the better, and maybe the III can import II patches, but surely they will require a little tweaking, so yet again, your back to possibly having to do some work.

Essentially your only option is to either never buy any electronics, hope Cliff announces he's sold the company is and going to go live on Mars, because the path of improvements is never going to stop. There is always going to be something else coming along, Axe III, Axe IV etc etc, OR....... do what most of us do and simply update when it makes good sense!

Crazy concept huh ?

If your in the middle of recording an album, keep the unit as it is. If your in the middle of a tour, keep the unit as it is. If your really busy with other stuff in life such as kids, work etc, keep the unit as it is. Spend your time player.

If and only if, you have some time to work on your tone, upgrade. Maybe you'll have 2 or 3 updates worth of stuff to enjoy checking out. Its just like analog pedals, amps etc. Most of us at some point choose to redo our pedalboards, and usually that time isn't in the middle of a tour.

Its when we are done with one, or before heading out. It too takes a little tweaking when that occurs....can't get around that part either

I gather many of you are pleased when a new update is rolled out, but I personally have zero interest in constantly re-tweaking everything because of all the work I did while everything was still in beta mode essentially. So without starting a pissing match about how great constant updates are or aren't, how long until we reach a steady state like the Ultra enjoys with 11?
I ask because I'd like to get a II, but only after all the bugs and "upgrades" are finalized so that nothing changes behind the scenes screwing up my patches I worked so hard for.

You described your own solution perfectly.

Get an Ultra today and enjoy Fractal's state of the art, steady-state firmware technology.

I gather many of you are pleased when a new update is rolled out, but I personally have zero interest in constantly re-tweaking everything because of all the work I did while everything was still in beta mode essentially. So without starting a pissing match about how great constant updates are or aren't, how long until we reach a steady state like the Ultra enjoys with 11?
I ask because I'd like to get a II, but only after all the bugs and "upgrades" are finalized so that nothing changes behind the scenes screwing up my patches I worked so hard for.

the upgrades stop when you quit updating. why would anyone update if they are completely satisfied? are you typing this message on a device that is complete, perfect and will never be updated? most companies will sale you a piece of hardware they consider finished, and then sale you another newer version when they have more ideas to add!?

Don't update your unit and get out of here!

how long until we reach a steady state like the Ultra enjoys with 11?

This steadystate stopped updating the Ultra at 10. Been using 10 live for many years. If you don't like firmware churn, don't update. Checking levels and presets after firmware updates on the II is a PITA, but it's worth it for me.

Years ago, Cliff threw us a bunch of new amps and that was awesome but somewhere along the road he started working on the moving parts of those amps a bit more. Putting more focus on every detail.
He was always slamming on the moving parts and details. He just keeps learning more about them.

Some solutions have already been suggested, eg:
- Stay with the Axe-FX Ultra, if that is what you consider to be the best.
- Stop updating the firmware and do not read this forum.
- Buy a modeller from another manufacturer.

However, there is another one:

Fractal Audio could start a policy of charging money for the updates, or abandon the Axe-FX II and move to another platform where you have to buy ROM expansion chips for the upgrades (like Roland does with some products). Only then the ungrateful will appreciate the unmeasurable added value of each upgrade that is kindly offered for free (new expensive amps, new expensive effects, new features, refined improvements, more sag, etc)

:D;):D;):D

Last edited:
Well, as has been said, this is a 1st world problem.

Second, I will reiterate that there is NO OBLIGATION to update and tweak. If you find a sound, stick with it. The beauty is you can try out the new stuff if you like (with appropriate backups, etc, etc) and come back home if you need to.

As far as bug fixes, read the release notes carefully (I do this regularly in my job for server Firmware updates,) if it does not fix something in there that you use, then there is no need to update. New amps are another story, in which case you can't go half-pregnant...you want the amp, get the firmware.

But you have to admit...it's not a bad problem to have.

huh-wait.jpg

I have a number of computers that have 'locked down' operating systems due to software compatibility issues. They work fine just as they are. That proof of concept could be easily applied to an Axe FX unit.

For me though, the Axe is better than the day I bought it, so I'm very happy with the updates.

rabbit holes, we just feel the need to keep jumpin down them.. hard to resist...once down its darn hard to go back...

I find threads like this a little crazy. If this was purely a software product, like Photoshop or Microsoft Office, people would go nuts if updates ceased.

Fractal are leading the way here by continuing to upgrade, improve and refine their hardware/software products at a relentless pace. This is AMAZING. I want them to keep getting better and better. Why not?

I think this may be more of a state of mind issue. I can see how buying a product that doesn't change can give some comfort as you don't feel like you are missing out on anything new (the updates) and don't have to pay the price of re-tweaking. But this is not worth the price of no more updates (to me and many others, but not to everyone).

I think you just need to change your mindset here: just don't update anymore and tell yourself that this is OK. While you may be missing out on new things, you have made the choice to not pay the price of having to re-tweak. That is a VERY valid choice. A lot of the pros using this gear on tour do the same thing (and it is a very sane choice for them for their own reasons and needs). You just need to get yourself comfortable with your own choice.

For me - I can't wait for the next update :)

WARNING! The final countdown for the final update of the final days has already started!!

This is the ultimate prophecy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom