When will the updates stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musikron

Experienced
I gather many of you are pleased when a new update is rolled out, but I personally have zero interest in constantly re-tweaking everything because of all the work I did while everything was still in beta mode essentially. So without starting a pissing match about how great constant updates are or aren't, how long until we reach a steady state like the Ultra enjoys with 11?
I ask because I'd like to get a II, but only after all the bugs and "upgrades" are finalized so that nothing changes behind the scenes screwing up my patches I worked so hard for.

The Ultra capped out at 11 because that was the end of the road for that unit. For Fractal, the job is never done and many (including me) are very enthusiastically behind that philosophy. But it doesn't mean you have to update. If you're on an update you like and don't want to mess with tweaking, you're all set! Your unit won't work any less well for lack of an update, so the choice of where development stops for you is really up to you.

I had an Ultra at that time, and 11 was great, but doesn't have many of the things in my XL+. It still sounds great in the Ultra, but the Ultra isn't a XL+ because development (and the room for it) stopped years ago. As @strat714 said, development on the II will stop when there's no road left to drive on it, and then the Axe FX III or whatever will start a new road (I have faith in you, Cliff).

I doubt it's easy, but maybe at some point Fractal will have a product whose updates consist of two forks - effects and amps. People that want the latest/greatest whiz bang effect improvements can have their stuff and leave the Amps section alone, likewise going in the other direction for folks that don't care about or want effects updates and just want their amps on the latest n' greatest.

Personally I like that Fractal was smart (and cool) enough to give out the updates without forcing them down our throats. Like @Rick said, you can kick back with whatever works for you and stay there.

Its by far the worst feature of the MkII, the fact that it automatically powers up your computer, logs into the internet, downloads an updated firmware, and then FORCES you to install it.....

Man...if only updates were voluntary....if only those folks who wanted to update could go ahead and do, and those folks who are happy with how things are a given point had the freedom to just LEAVE IT ALONE....

Seriously....if you don't want to install the updates, then don't. There is nothing stopping anyone for sticking with Firmware 6.0, or 12, or Q6.02 etc

Stupidest whining post of the week.......

The beauty of the updates is you are under zero obligation to apply them. Any time you want your Axe-Fx to be stuck in a moment in time, stop updating it. I would recommend not reading the release notes when further updates are posted though because willpower is hard.

I gather many of you are pleased when a new update is rolled out, but I personally have zero interest in constantly re-tweaking everything because of all the work I did while everything was still in beta mode essentially. So without starting a pissing match about how great constant updates are or aren't, how long until we reach a steady state like the Ultra enjoys with 11?
I ask because I'd like to get a II, but only after all the bugs and "upgrades" are finalized so that nothing changes behind the scenes screwing up my patches I worked so hard for.
you can stop updating your device whenever you want. you really can. you can choose to not install new firmware. many professionals make that choice.

the product is not in constant beta. it's constantly improved because it's actively being created. buy the axe, don't check the forum for updates, turn off auto-updates in the software and you'll have exactly what you want.

Good replies so far.
I get that I can stop the update train at any point and hop off, and I also agree its great they aren't forcing updates down our throats.

I haven't tried every revision, but the few I have tried with the Ultra, I think 11 is the best by far and I think I'll stay here from on out (again, it's awesome I can load older firmware to compare and see what I like and don't like). I bought the Ultra after it was end of life, and have loved having a stable platform I am confident in. The ability to "go back in time" and compare other firmwares was great, because I knew everything I had to work with, I knew all the unit was capable of was provided to me from the date of purchase. Thats the user experience I am after, tone chasing never stops, and there is no way I could ever NOT install a FW upgrade to see if it gives me that .01% I've been chasing! With the II, I'm just a little uncomfortable buying a product that could radically change for the better at some random time in the future with a new firmware release. I would want the better firmware, but would likely have to do some tweaking to account for some changes with my patches. I'm basically importing what I know about the life cycle of the Ultra to the II. The Ultra was always awesome from day one, but the final FW11 release was the best it had to offer. I personally don't want to go through the process of learn and tweak over and over. I want all the tools available to me before I start my project. I don't want to be halfway through building a house using a rock to pound nails, and then be handed a hammer.

The AxeFXII has been out a good long while now, hell, AX8 and FX8 have been out a while now. I would expect a new release of a major product in 18 months or so honestly, so really how many more FW releases can there be?

...how long until we reach a steady state like the Ultra enjoys with 11?
That will happen when the Axe II runs out of room and can no longer accept improvements. At that point, the Axe III will be introduced, and you will be able to buy Axe II's that you know will never receive updates.

I'm just a little uncomfortable buying a product that could radically change for the better at some random time in the future with a new firmware release. I would want the better firmware,
this can happen at ANY TIME with any other product that doesn't get updates. you buy a new Mesa Boogie amp, and months later they come out with a Version 2 that's radically better. you buy a Sony a6300 camera and months later they release the a6500 that's much better for video. etc. etc.

we are lucky that the only cost to us to upgrade our Axe-Fx II since 2011 is our own time. 6 years of free OPTIONAL updates? how can anyone complain?

It's a digital product. Fully back up and try the new flavour - fully roll back if you want. Easy street.

For a few minutes thought and effort you never have to lose anything. You could have done a recording session 2 years back - and if you did a full backup back then you could load it up and do overdubs on the same recordings without any hassle.

All the backing up and restoring stuff is quick and handy with FractalBot.

The tones I'm getting with the Axe-Fx II now compared with three years ago are light years apart. It blows my mind. I sometimes feel like someone swapped out my unit because how is it possible the same box is getting these tones?

You have to look at it from a different angle. Think about cars. All cars are driven from point A to point B. If a company finds a way to make a car quieter, better on gas, less noise on bumps, etc., that is always a good thing. Years ago, Cliff threw us a bunch of new amps and that was awesome but somewhere along the road he started working on the moving parts of those amps a bit more. Putting more focus on every detail.

As with the Ultra, I'd expect the updates right up to end of life (i.e. when the next generation arrives), I am sure.

So... Hopefully, 'Not Soon'. ;)

So, your choices are:

1. Stop updating or adopt an update strategy that lags FAS' update rate.
2. Switch to another unit that does not update as frequently or at all. (The Gen1's are *bargains* IMHO. Ultra is my #2/backup).

Pretty simple.

Honestly I find it frustrating too at times as I try to maintain a lot of presets that I have invested a lot of time in and my time for redials is precious/limited (and feels 'wasted'). So I do both, I have another unit (Ultra) that is stable and I also do not load betas and sometimes even skip .00 releases as a .0x or two almost always follow. In the end I always cave though because the ride is just too much fun and there are always some new compelling features or a cool new amp or effect I want to try.

"Darn it Santa. That's enough already. Just go away!"

But seriously, Fractal's commitment to improving their products is the reason most of us are here.

a steady state like the Ultra enjoys with 11?
I have never heard an EOL'ed product described like this before. An interesting perspective for sure! :D

Step 1: Get the II
Step 2: Don't upgrade if you don't have any problems with the firmware it ships with
Step 3: <waves hand wildly in the air>
Step 4: Profit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom