When will the RIAA strike FAS?

Not that I've heard anything so far, but it wouldn't surprise me if tone matching became an issue (drop in the bucket compared to downloading songs) of copyright at some point. The total number of users using tone matching off original or copyrighted material is miniscule in the grand scheme of things, but nothing the RIAA and MPAA does can surprise me anymore.

I can just see them trying to cite someone for using a few seconds of a recording to create a matched tone. And if you use that matched tone to perform for pay or record an album, they'll want their royalties.

I believe the RIAA has already covered this by attaching nightclubs that host "cover bands". So, if a Queen Tribute band and you use a Vox amp with a knockoff Brian May guitar, and you achieve a "very very close" mimic of his tone, how is that different than using the AxeFx?

I don't think that you could make the argument that just "copping someone's tone" is any kind of violation. The popular music industry is PREDICATED on capitalizing on/expoiting exactly that (The Monkees, etc.), and there are so many guitarists who got their start "copping" the tone of their favorite guitar hero, using the same guitar, pedals, amps, etc. If you cop someone's tone, and then write "original" material using that tone, what exactly has been violated? You can accomplish the same thing by buying a Fender Strat and plugging it into a Marshall stack, assuming you have mastered the playing techniques and understand the equipment well enough to copy someone else's tone if you so desire.

If anyone would have a beef with FAS, it would be the manufacturers of the amps/cabs being modeled.

I don't think the RIAA has a case here, but that wouldn't ever stop them from trying.

I think the point is that you are using a copyright file to create the tone, and not so much that you created the tone. to me it is no different than listening and doing it by ear, you have just automated the process.
But dunno.

And if you use that matched tone to perform for pay or record an album, they'll want their royalties.

I think yer overestimating the powers of Tone Matching. It's not like adjusting for similar frequency content would be anything remotely close to copyright infringement 8) Can't own those frequencies.

I hold the copy right on all the tones ever made and have yet to be created. I have just been waiting for the right time to drop this bomb on every musical group that has ever lived or will ever be... Yes I will own you ALL :twisted Even the banking systems will shake when I make withdraw, World Bank IMF I own you and all your illuminati friends too. Yes it is I the Sixstring king and owner of all tones
burpy.gif
. Now all of you get back to work I need to raise enough cash to buy the solar system.

Why would one post this on the manufacturer's forum inviting a problem?

I hold the copy right on all the tones ever made and have yet to be created. I have just been waiting for the right time to drop this bomb on every musical group that has ever lived or will ever be... Yes I will own you ALL :twisted Even the banking systems will shake when I make withdraw, World Bank IMF I own you and all your illuminati friends too. Yes it is I the Sixstring king and owner of all tones
burpy.gif
. Now all of you get back to work I need to raise enough cash to buy the solar system.

My great great great grandfather owns Eminor. My family made a KILLING in the 80's.

maybe we could tone match the copyright, invert the curve, therefore causing a phase cancellation of the copyright.... voila! no copyright infringment...

This is ridiculous.

You can't copyright tone. There are no royalties for tone. This is as clear an issue as exists in copyright law.

I was trying to just let the thread die, since some people took it as inviting trouble. I should have stressed that I never think the RIAA would be successful if they tried to pursue this, I just thought it didn't sound any more outrageous than trying to collect tens of thousands of dollars per infraction from a 12 year old and the equivalent stories we've heard in the past few years. The tone of a guitar, voice, gear, etc. is something I doubt anyone could successfully copyright (not that they haven't tried), but I could see the copyright lawyers trying to argue that using a copyrighted sound clip to tone match would warrant a royalty depending on the context in which it was used.

I don't think this will ever happen, or if they did try, I don't think they would be successful.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers, not trying to be disloyal to FAS by any means. I love this company and their products. And I'm sure they will be fine, discussions about the RIAA notwithstanding.

I going to go back to playing, this FW just makes me want to jam.

You can't copyright tone. There are no royalties for tone. This is as clear an issue as exists in copyright law.

More importantly, Tone doesn't respect copyright law anyway. He blatantly stole that Van Halen riff for that piece-o-crap "Wild Thing".

Back
Top Bottom