When using two amps in a preset......I should?

wogs858

Inspired
I built a preset with two amps,one clean/mid gain( amp1) and another for lead/high gain(amp2). I set up scenes for clean(scene1) and crunchy rhythm(scene2) on amp 1. Heavy rhythm(scene3) and lead(scene4) with amp 2. 4 scenes total right now.
Here's the problem.
When I'm in amp2 I hear an essence of the clean channel(amp1). I can't seem to figure out why. I have amp1 bypassed while in amp2 but it seems like I still hear it....a little.

Anyone have the same problem and can you steer me in the right direction?
Thank you in advance for your time

I think you could use X/Y and save a lot of CPU usage --> Scene1 (AmpX/CabX - Clean Settings), Scene2 (AmpX/CabX - Crunch Settings), Scene3 (AmpY/CabY - Hi Gain), Scene4 (AmpY/CabY - Hi Gain Lead Settings)

how are you doing that? All you can do is bypass or x/y between scenes, right? How do you change settings on the amp block between scenes?? You're only using one amp, right?

thx

I think the CPU saving is from using only 1 cab block, in the previous example. But it's possible he doesn't know how scenes actually work, it wasn't really clear.

You can save different amp models and cabs for each X/Y thus saving the CPU. You can do the same with drv and many other effects. I made "a mega" preset using this approach, and was able to add almost all effects to the chain without CPU problems.

how are you doing that? All you can do is bypass or x/y between scenes, right? How do you change settings on the amp block between scenes?? You're only using one amp, right?

If you set up amp1 in scene1 with X/Y set to X, and you set up amp1 in scene2 with X/Y set to Y then scene 1 and 2 will retain those settings for X,Y within each scene. You can therefore have a clean delux reverb amp + applicable cab on scene "1X" and a recto amp + different applicable cab on scene "2Y". Once you are there, duplicate your scene "1X" into 2 scene variations - one scene with a light distortion pedal turned off and on with it turned on (clean scene, crunch scene). Similarly, divide you scene "2X" into two scene variations, one with distortion pedal / delay off, and one with them on (rhythm scene, lead scene). You now have 4 scenes for clean fender, crunchy fender, higain recto, higain recto lead all in one patch using only one amp/cab block. You could also achieve your clean/crunch, or higain/higain lead variations by attaching controllers to one or more of: drive/input level/boost/MV... on amp1 but since these controllers cannot vary across x/y or across scenes, you'll need to watch that they are set accordingly as you change scenes (would be nice to be able to have independent, or at least "bypassable" controllers across x/y and/or scenes). If your preferred tone absolutely requires 4 sets of different amp parameters that can't be varied with controllers or that you don't want to vary with controllers, then, in that case, you'll need to have 2 amp blocks.

I'm sure he meant Amp1 X clean, Amp 1 Y crunch, Amp 2 X rhythm, Amp 2 Y Lead

in the above example - only one amp/cab block in the patch.

When switching x / y you have a short gap.

I don't experience any gap.

How is that saving any cpu then? Am I missing something.

Amps and Cabs are 2 of the most cpu expensive block so using the scheme described above, you would save a lot of cpu space that can be used for effects ...

I think the CPU saving is from using only 1 cab block, in the previous example. But it's possible he doesn't know how scenes actually work, it wasn't really clear.

This scheme works for me and some others on the forum (see alarto above). Maybe there's some additional disadvantage I'm missing?

Last edited:
Amps have their own processor in the axe 2. So adding 2 amp blocks shouldn't boost the CPU by much. Cab blocks take up a lot of CPU though.

There is a high and low resolution mode for cabs, and "low" is actually "normal" and should yield no discernible difference unless you are hunting for one. It saves a ton of CPU too.

Ok, so your using a drive block and other stuff, not just the amp / cab. Why didn't you just say that? People could go crazy tweaking scene 1 then going to scene 2 and tweaking the same block until they realize they are inadvertantly changing all the scenes (until you rtfm!).

OP sorry for the hijack!!!!!!!

Ok, so your using a drive block and other stuff, not just the amp / cab. Why didn't you just say that? People could go crazy tweaking scene 1 then going to scene 2 and tweaking the same block until they realize they are inadvertantly changing all the scenes (until you rtfm!).

OP sorry for the hijack!!!!!!!

Excuse me but I find your criticism somewhat out of order given the information I provided here to help answer the question. Instead of exhibiting an attitude of entitlement like I owed you an immediate and fully detailed explanation on command; you might try a more cooperative tone to yield better results - or better yet, try some experimentation on your own so you can more actively contribute to the discussion.

As I said above you CAN use controllers to vary some key amp parameters between X and Y if you want. I use an expression pedal attached to the amp input gain which works great for me without using a distortion block. Sorry if this was not clear in my first post - the main point was/is that you may be able to get by with one Amp/Cab for those 4 sounds.

Also - in reference to Chris' point above about Amp CPU usage. To my surprise this is correct - though a 2nd Cab is a high CPU gobbler, I see that, unlike on my Ultra, the Axe Fx 2 only took about 2-3 percent more cpu to add a 2nd amp block. Interesting...

I didn't see any criticism in his post, other than that you could have been more clear in your first response.

I also didn't know what you meant, leaving out the part about adding drive pedals etc.

Typing out a clear message is hard sometimes :)

Hi sprint. Not meant to criticize or offend. Your first post implied that you only needed one amp and cab to achieve many tones. If you had explained using a drive block no one else would've posted about it and derailed the OP's thread. go back and reread the thread. there are 8 or 9 posts trying to figure out what you meant.

Remember this is the internet and impersonal. Things usually are not the way you read them.

Thanks for your replies and help!!!

edit: I didn't know about the cab cpu usage either. thanks again!!!!

Last edited:
I'm sure he meant Amp1 X clean, Amp 1 Y crunch, Amp 2 X rhythm, Amp 2 Y Lead

Thanks guys! I've made several presets now but haven't grasped the whole "X/Y" idea ( thought I did). This clears it up for me quite a bit. I'll go back and redo this preset.....tidy it up a bit with X/Y settings. It's all a learning curve for me ..... Thanks for all the constructive criticism everybody!

Back
Top Bottom