When use different Preset vs Different Scene in same overall Preset?

DFauvre

Inspired
What is Fractal intention between when one is going to use a different Preset vs a different Scene within that Preset? LMK you an example. I wrote an instrumental rocker. Part of it has a high gain modern rock tone then I switch to a hyper clean chorus tone. I've been doing this by having 1 scene for each type of tone in the same overall preset. I'm beginning to the think this is not how Fractal intends this to be done and that I should have the high gain tone on one Preset and the Clean tone (uses a different amp block as well) on it's own Preset. I have a Fractal FC-6 foot controller. So what is recommended?

With 4 channels in most blocks in the III, the line blurs quite a bit now. You can often use either approach. One difference is switching speed. Scenes will pretty much always switch faster than Presets. If you need a truly seamless transition from one sound to another, there is no way to do that with a preset change. Using scenes though, you can switch between parallel blocks and get a fully seamless transition.

If I were you I wouldn’t worry to much about what fractal was intending and just do whatever works for you.
I don’t use scenes or presets to change sounds between diet and clean. I find control switches to be much more flexible.
I'd agree with this - I think the best thing to do is just work to set it up the way you want your workflow to go. There is a LOT of flexibility available with the FC6 and FC12 for sure, and it seems (to me at least) that we can really do almost anything we'd need to do. I prefer scenes over presets just because I feel like it's a easier way for me to get where I'm going but totally just my opinion and how I like it.

I've used two amp blocks in some presets - just like you mentioned - one for Clean and then another for any of the gain-y stuff.

Presets are basically an entire layout (amps, pedals, order, routing, etc).

Scenes are basically different block statuses for the Preset's layout. i.e. what channel a block is in or what the on/off status of blocks.

Channels are different settings within a specific block. They can also change to a different "type" of the specific block. (for example, Amp Channel A can be a high gain Mesa and Amp Channel B can be a Vox AC30).

Switching between presets is not as fast as switching between scenes within a preset. At this point, I'm not sure if it's noticeable, but it's something to consider.

You would use a different preset if you need an entirely different effect/amp layout. You can also use multiple presets with the same layout, but different scene types. Some people do per-song presets and some people try to do a "kitchen sink" preset that they can do everything in. If 8 scenes is enough, the latter may work for you (assuming you dont hit the CPU limit)

Best thing IMO is learn the versatility of each method. I like working with a preset and use scenes as it's variables. Like clean, crunch, lead within the same amp on different scenes. Especially until I perfect a lead sound or clean go to sound. Then I might mix those in one preset via channel use. I still use one preset per song method from my Ultra days as the Ultra was blazing fast on changing presets. But I also have 10 or so core presets that I always try to improve and tweak as foundations. Working with these tweaks and various methods makes it very possible to ultimately build 1 or 2 power rigs.

Everything thats been echoed above rings true.

To add: If you are playing specific songs or want to make a 'setlist', using presets is a great way to keep your sounds organized. Then using scenes to go through each section of the song. Most of the Pros do this.

Back
Top Bottom