When until the FM3 features catches up to the Axe III?

Im still waiting for USB to be activated.
For real. I was stoked to get a headphone unit as my warranty replacement for a failing USB port, but the new unit can't be used as an audio output on my laptop anymore (the previous unit worked fine...until it didn't).

I thought I remembered seeing a post on the original FM3 board (deleted during the great meltdown of Feb 2020) that one of the benefits of the FM3 would be a much easier portability of changes from AxeFX-III to FM3.

While that may have been the intention, we haven't seen the same turnaround as we saw with the AxeFX-II and AX8. I'm not misunderstanding... the FM3 is not the III. Neither was the AX8 a II - yet owners came to expect a regularity in its update following a II firmware change.

The FM3 is really amazing most of the time, but it also has some serious flaws. I would hope that if those issues can be fixed then we'll see some more "churn" on updates like we experienced with the II/AX8.

The takeaway for me is this:

1. Fractal is going to make sure the FM3 is free of any issues before moving forward with adding any new features.
2. They are going to take whatever amount of time it takes to get it right.

I really don't see how anyone can expect anything else until FAS is completely satisfied with the performance, stability and functionality of the FM3.

@sluice I see you have a Slo in your avatar, do you own one? Thoughts on the modeled version? I just got a real one yesterday

I once had two SLOs :
A '91 with FX Loop and a '89 with no loop.

Both were different the non loop one being more aggressive, less smooth.

I find the SLO in the Axe decent, but it doesn't remind me my old SLOs. (I'll get flame for this... )

But there is something different or missing in the fractal version.
Say the settings that worked wonders on my SLOs don't translate as well on the Axe. They are good, but not great.

I'll get new SLO at one point.
It will always remain in my top 3 of amps.
Right now rolling with a Wizard MTL.

I can't see myself without my Fractal device, nor without a tube amp...

I once had two SLOs :
A '91 with FX Loop and a '89 with no loop.

Both were different the non loop one being more aggressive, less smooth.

I find the SLO in the Axe decent, but it doesn't remind me my old SLOs. (I'll get flame for this... )

But there is something different or missing in the fractal version.
Say the settings that worked wonders on my SLOs don't translate as well on the Axe. They are good, but not great.

I'll get new SLO at one point.
It will always remain in my top 3 of amps.
Right now rolling with a Wizard MTL.

I can't see myself without my Fractal device, nor without a tube amp...

perhaps one thing to look at incorporating is A Synergy SLO module its actually really good
and actually designed by Mike

I know these two devices are different and they don't run the same firmware, etc.

As much as I love my FM3, I'm a bit jealous and anxious when I see the frequent Axe III update that brings so many amazing features (New drives, new amps, new pitch block, etc.)

Curious about what you guys think : when will the FM3 catch up? Will it ever catch up?
To quote Don Dokken

"Neeeeeeevaaaaaarrhh"

I'm less concerned with catching up. There was a cool feature that hinted at... plugging a wireless dongle into the FM3's USB port for wireless connection for the editor. I'd love to see this implemented, and I don't give a damn if the Axe III gets it.

Since the announcement of the archeon models spent some time looking at the amp models listings, however it wasn't clear on the wiki or yek wonderful list which models were available on what unit.
Have i missed something or is there a comparison listing of amps / fm3 / fx3 / fx2 ???
Cheers
G \../

@sluice yeah the Slo is one amp that you have to experience in the room. Like a Dr Z the air it pushes at volume cannot be replicated by a computer

Yup totally agree.

I guess it's not that SLO model from Fractal doesn't sound right.. it's just missing something... something that cannot be replicated, most likely.

Never tried a Dr Z.. so I'm missing out? :D

Not really it's just that those 2 real amps models are a million miles off from the real ones. Every time I tried the Slo 100 model I would think, 'why the heck are these amps so popular' Now that I own one I know!!

Back
Top Bottom