When until the FM3 features catches up to the Axe III?

The answer is never.

If you want what the Axe III offers, including the features and pace of updates, get an Axe III. To use an analogy, the Axe III is like a pool at a resort with a spa, nice landscaping, and frequent upkeep. The FM3 is like an above-ground pool in your back yard. You can swim in both and do some things with the above ground, but it’s never going to be what the former is.

I realize that many want to re-create their analog rig as closely as possible.

For me-
I just look at it like the FM3 is a great sounding rig that can cover all the bases in an astonishing form factor.

If it sounds and feels different to you then being in a room with a high-end tube amp-
It’s because your not.

But it’s still great sounding and versatile almost beyond comprehension.

I don’t expect any modeler to be able to duplicate all the sonic information I hear when in the same room with a modded 72’ Super Lead thru vintage Greenbacks in a Marshall B cab.

There’s just way, way to much random harmonic content-
among other things-
coming out of a rig like that.

Put the FM3 on the floor next to a full stack.
You will notice that they look worlds apart.

Who in their right mind would expect them to sound and play identical.

Instead of chasing unicorns-
I would like to see those resources spent on continuously re-mastering the amps, effects, routing and functionality we already get.

I don’t look at the amps in the FM3 as actually being CarolAnns, TrainWrecks and Soldanos, Ect..
Those names just give me a general idea of what to expect.

I see the FM3 simply as a Fractal Amp/Rig.

Extremely versatile and great sounding out of the box-
but it also has the potential to keep being updated and improved.

“Sounds and plays like a real tube amp”
is a re-assuring statement that is accurate enough and does need to be said because it lets a new customer know that it’s one of the overall goals of these units-
despite the fact that the SLO 100 preset may not yet quite sound like an old Soldano stack to some sets of ears. Lol.

But to be fair-
Fractal makes it pretty clear that they are re-creating the sound of amp/cab thru microphone/FRFR.

And there are plenty of more modern simulations like the Satch JVM for example-
that sound much more like the actual amp than the sims of some older amps that varied so widely in production specs and components.

I also like that with many of the simulations-
I seem to get a healthy dose of the qualities I like about a particular amp-
while some of the things I dislike are either already non-existent or can be tweaked into non-existence.

Last edited:
It’s now catching, at least tonewise.

New Drive Block: OK
UltraRes Cabs: OK
Improved Pitch Block: In the Works
Cygnus Modeling: Soon!
Until whatever feature Cliff comes up with next! I do appreciate that even though they have said that something is too tough to run on the FM3 they have still figured out a way to do it eventually. But the FM3 will always play second fiddle to the flagship unit but so far it seems to have kept up pretty well, it's not like several months to get some new great feature.

For most the Axe-Fx 3 is a very expensive one time purchase and the rack format has its inconveniences too. I can afford one but I still don't want to buy one because I could never even use the full DSP on the Axe-Fx 2 and vastly prefer the form factor of the FM3.

Regarding that what can do FM3 in it's actual state I couldn't care less about FM3 keeping up with FXIII. If it became an issue I'd save money and get me an FXIII.

Here's what I mean....last night for the birthday of a friend.
20210410_215057.jpg

And FXIII will never be able to game up with FM3 for that...one guitar, one bag and there you go

What we need is a floor model version of the Axe III, that's only about 30-50% larger with more switches. Who would sell their FM3 for that?

Yeah just wondering, when that is.
Just curious about people's opinion! :)
I did notice on the Axe III forum about the 3.03 update - it said, "One more before
I know these two devices are different and they don't run the same firmware, etc.

As much as I love my FM3, I'm a bit jealous and anxious when I see the frequent Axe III update that brings so many amazing features (New drives, new amps, new pitch block, etc.)

Curious about what you guys think : when will the FM3 catch up? Will it ever catch up?
I noticed in the Axe III forum 3.3 Beta release, it said, "One more before final release." That seems to be an indicator of sorts.

@Tonedeaf; No, IMHO plus 30-50% is too big, the floor pedal is a "carry on" item, it must remain not too heavy and easily portable, if not better have a rack unit. Had a rehearsal this afternoon; first since a very long time
At the condition of not using tons of presets : these 3 switches plus two extended buttons and an expression pedal do the job. There's absolutely no need for more. I only use perform mode rotating 4 presets.

That'd be a very niche market to cater to which is a reason many companies don't have certain products - it's too niche when what they have on either "side" already fulfills people's needs plenty.

@Tonedeaf; No, IMHO plus 30-50% is too big, the floor pedal is a "carry on" item, it must remain not too heavy and easily portable, if not better have a rack unit. Had a rehearsal this afternoon; first since a very long time
At the condition of not using tons of presets : these 3 switches plus two extended buttons and an expression pedal do the job. There's absolutely no need for more. I only use perform mode rotating 4 presets.
I agree. While a 4th and maybe 5th button on the FM3 would have really made it a far better unit, I do prefer its size to my Helix Floor which is about the same width as a FM3+FC6 but a bit taller.

I can see the desire for more power from the FM3 as it has some clear limitations but for the chains most guitarists use it is more than good enough. I don't think most would need Axe-Fx 3 level DSP but maybe 30% more powerful than FM3 would be just the sweet spot where only heaviest fx users would need to worry about DSP.

I agree. While a 4th and maybe 5th button on the FM3 would have really made it a far better unit, I do prefer its size to my Helix Floor which is about the same width as a FM3+FC6 but a bit taller.

I can see the desire for more power from the FM3 as it has some clear limitations but for the chains most guitarists use it is more than good enough. I don't think most would need Axe-Fx 3 level DSP but maybe 30% more powerful than FM3 would be just the sweet spot where only heaviest fx users would need to worry about DSP.
Tone wise for me ultrres was a big missing piece of the puzzle
with UR now implemented minus Cygnus tone wise they are pretty much identical , i mean i am sure someone with better ears than mine might hear that 1% higher fidelity that the extra power of a 3 provides
but they have done an amazing job

I have a III and a 3. The difference has been marginal but yes, not the same. Now with beta fw 3.03 its so close I don’t care. It could stop here and I’m totally happy. Of course we know that won’t happen. Kudos Fractal!

Back
Top Bottom