When trying to nail a tone - don't forget about your guitar

VidarAus

Experienced
Hello Fellow Axe Fanboys (and girls..),

I had a bit of an 'aha!' moment last night.

I have been trying to nail Petrucci rhythm and lead tones, and other great patches using the MKIV amp sim. I have been failing a lot though. I had heard a lot of other people's tones which were great, and had no idea what I was doing wrong.

I use an Ibanez 2550 with a D-Sonic in the Bridge and Air-Norton in the neck. So I should be able to get close with the Axe-FX (except, or course, for not having JP's godly technique :x ).

So, after many years, I decided to upgrade my string gauge from hybrid 9's to 10's.

So I have done a completley new setup on my guitar, and it has neve played better.

I finally came to the realisation that my pickups were WAY too close to the strings. Can't believe I only just thought about this.

Since backing them off, the new setup and the heavier gauge strings (new claw springs e.t.c. e.t.c.) I have NEVER gotten better tones.

This has made more of a difference then any fine tuning I have been doing with the Axe.

I just wanted to share this piece of (what should have been more obvious to me) realisation.

There is no tone the Axe can't nail. Period.

If you are still struggling, and you are sure you know how to use the Axe correctly, look at your guitar setup.

Hope this helps someone.

VidarAus

Back
Top Bottom