When To Reset Blocks?

Is there a definitive list of which parameters are changed when resetting the amp block?

A few (not all) of my presets are considerably louder and more distorted after updating to FW12 and I tried resetting the amp block but when switching back to the original amp model it was noticeably quieter than before (but at least the unwanted distortion was gone). Taking screenshots of each page or making a list of every parameter setting prior to resetting the amp block seems a bit of a clumsy process so is there a better way to revert to the original settings? I know updated firmware may require some tweaking but it would be nice to start from the previous values.

BTW, I understand that a lot of users prefer to start from scratch with new firmware but that's not my goal here.

I don't think you need to do this unless you want to change the default settings of the amp selected. I've always understand that the under the hood "improvements" from one firmware to the next will be heard automatically.

Yes that is what I think (and hope) too. Would be a total PITA of you have to reset all the amps in all your presets with every FW update and loose all your settings. Not very practical and too time consuming.

Is there a definitive list of which parameters are changed when resetting the amp block?

A few (not all) of my presets are considerably louder and more distorted after updating to FW12 and I tried resetting the amp block but when switching back to the original amp model it was noticeably quieter than before (but at least the unwanted distortion was gone). Taking screenshots of each page or making a list of every parameter setting prior to resetting the amp block seems a bit of a clumsy process so is there a better way to revert to the original settings? I know updated firmware may require some tweaking but it would be nice to start from the previous values.

BTW, I understand that a lot of users prefer to start from scratch with new firmware but that's not my goal here.

Volume: That's because resetting the amp also resets Master Volume.

Trying to make sure I understand this. The only way to reset an amp block is to select a different amp type and then go back to the original? After doing this you may experience a change in volume and possibly some other parameters may change? And you only need to do this on presets that you've created yourself and not the factory presets? Sorry, I'm in with the crowd who finds this a little confusing, but I'm trying my best to understand it. I have my dunce cap on if that means anything.:stupid:

Trying to make sure I understand this. The only way to reset an amp block is to select a different amp type and then go back to the original? After doing this you may experience a change in volume and possibly some other parameters may change? And you only need to do this on presets that you've created yourself and not the factory presets? Sorry, I'm in with the crowd who finds this a little confusing, but I'm trying my best to understand it. I have my dunce cap on if that means anything.:stupid:

If it is confusing, then keep it simple. Unless the firmware releases note state you need to do it or something sound wrong, don't worry about it.

There are 2 ways to reset an amp block. Go to another amp type then back or double click the bypass button. you can also use the block rest in Axe-edit.
Yes, if you go to another amp type and back pretty much all the parameters excluding input drive, bass, mid, treb, pres, balance, bypass mode, and level will revert to default.
If you double click the bypass button, all parameters will revert to a default value.

So if I go through all 3 banks of the Fremen 11.05 presets and reset all of the amp blocks on all 300 odd presets haven't I just reset all of the changes Fremen made ?

So if I go through all 3 banks of the Fremen 11.05 presets and reset all of the amp blocks on all 300 odd presets haven't I just reset all of the changes Fremen made ?

Yes,
But there is no need to do that between 11.05 and 12.

Lets put it this way, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Exactly.

And let's see it the other way around: if new firmware would automatically adjust the amp blocks in all presets to the amp's defaults (changing people's own adjustments), a lot of people would be very unhappy or confused too.

Thanks Yek. So apart from MV does anyone know which pother parameters get reset, or is it all of them?
You can thank the creator of the Lemur axe-fx editor for the info below:

the following groups of AMP block advanced controls revert to default values when changing amp type:
Master, Depth
Boost, Bright, Fat, Sat
Tonestack Type, Tube Type, Grid Modeling ON/OFF, MV Location, TS Location
All controls in the DYNAMICS group
All controls in the PREAMP group
All controls in the PWR/XFMR group, except Pweramp Hicut and Pwramp locut
All controls in the SPKR group
All controls in the SUPPLY/BIAS group except Trem Freq
All controls in the EQ group

Only a few controls are left alone, including these:
Input Drive
Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence
Level
Voicing

You can thank the creator of the Lemur axe-fx editor for the info below:

the following groups of AMP block advanced controls revert to default values when changing amp type:
Master, Depth
Boost, Bright, Fat, Sat
Tonestack Type, Tube Type, Grid Modeling ON/OFF, MV Location, TS Location
All controls in the DYNAMICS group
All controls in the PREAMP group
All controls in the PWR/XFMR group, except Pweramp Hicut and Pwramp locut
All controls in the SPKR group
All controls in the SUPPLY/BIAS group except Trem Freq
All controls in the EQ group

Only a few controls are left alone, including these:
Input Drive
Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence
Level
Voicing

Excellent info, thanks for posting, this will make life much easier.

Thanks also to all the other guys who have posted helpful advice and guidance. Some of us seem to struggle to get our heads around stuff that others find straightforward, it really helps when information is exchanged like this on the forum.

Some of you are making this way too difficult. Back in the day, you could just select another amp and go back to the preset amp and it would "update" the preset with the amp's adjustments. Currently the only way to "fix" the amp (if it sounds off after a firmware update) is to double-click the "bypass" button. The only downside is that everything goes to a "stock" form of the amp. Basically the treble, bass, and mids, and some other settings go to "noon" and have to be adjusted.

If you do a firmware update and everything sounds great, you don't have to do anything. In my case, sometimes after I do a firmware update, everything sounds very "middy" and "off" so I have to go thru every preset and double-click the "AMP" block. Most folks don't use every preset in the AxeFX-II so most don't recommend resetting the amp block in every preset because it is a waste of time.

Anyway hope this helps. Just keep in mind that although it might be slightly painful, your tone will be way better. :)

Last edited:
If it is confusing, then keep it simple. Unless the firmware releases note state you need to do it or something sound wrong, don't worry about it.

There are 2 ways to reset an amp block. Go to another amp type then back or double click the bypass button. you can also use the block rest in Axe-edit.
Yes, if you go to another amp type and back pretty much all the parameters excluding input drive, bass, mid, treb, pres, balance, bypass mode, and level will revert to default.
If you double click the bypass button, all parameters will revert to a default value.

Also, parameters from other pages in the amp block are reset as well.

And again in case anyone missed it. When you reset an amp either by holding down bypass or going to another amp type and back, all parameters will switch back to default except these:

i thought that holding/double clicking bypass is different than switching amp types.

i was under the impressing that the bypass method will reset absolutely everything in the block to default, as it does with all blocks.

using amp types changes a certain set of parameters, as outlined in this thread and on the wiki.

i thought that holding/double clicking bypass is different than switching amp types.

i was under the impressing that the bypass method will reset absolutely everything in the block to default, as it does with all blocks.

using amp types changes a certain set of parameters, as outlined in this thread and on the wiki.

You are correct, double clicking bypass will reset everything

Yeah, I'm not sure why the switching amp types method doesn't work anymore. The only thing I can think is that maybe there are so many adjustable parameters now that it requires a bit more than just switching.

Yes - The option to somehow "Reset all Amp Blocks" would be nice for this task - obviously this isn't as easy done as it is for me to write - I will assume Cliff would had built it in already if it were.

Cliff - Can this concept be, either shot down as not do-able, or can it be perused???

IIRC there was this option on the Standard and Ultra?

Back
Top Bottom