When To Reset Blocks?

quark

Experienced
Can someone please explain when and why blocks need to be reset after loading up a new firmware revision. I am really quite confused about that whole thing.

When I load up a new firmware revision, do I have to go into every single preset and change the amp type to something different and then back again to the original? What exactly does that accomplish?

Is it only the amps that need to be reset? Why not the other blocks?

Do I have to do that for just the presets that I've created or do the factory presets need resetting too?

Is there a quick way in axe edit to do this ... for example, does ctrl-i on the amp block accomplish this or do I actually have to toggle the amp type?

If I dump my banks to disk and then reinstall them after a firmware revision, would that take care of the resetting problem?

Do all firmware revisions require this - e.g do 12.0 and 12.01 both require resetting?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this ...

Can someone please explain when and why blocks need to be reset after loading up a new firmware revision. I am really quite confused about that whole thing.

When I load up a new firmware revision, do I have to go into every single preset and change the amp type to something different and then back again to the original? What exactly does that accomplish?

Is it only the amps that need to be reset? Why not the other blocks?

Do I have to do that for just the presets that I've created or do the factory presets need resetting too?

Is there a quick way in axe edit to do this ... for example, does ctrl-i on the amp block accomplish this or do I actually have to toggle the amp type?

If I dump my banks to disk and then reinstall them after a firmware revision, would that take care of the resetting problem?

Do all firmware revisions require this - e.g do 12.0 and 12.01 both require resetting?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this ...

I must agree! this is a confusing aspect of firmware updates. I always do it just in case, but only on my 5-8 key presets. It would be nice to add an "auto update" feature into the firmware so this isn't necessary. I'm sure Cliff is well aware of this issue and has thought about it at length....if something can be done, I am certain we'll see it in a future firmware update.

I could be wrong, but you do not have to do anything on stock presets.
I believe you do need to toggle the amp blocks off and then on for your custom presets.

Yes - The option to somehow "Reset all Amp Blocks" would be nice for this task - obviously this isn't as easy done as it is for me to write - I will assume Cliff would had built it in already if it were.

Cliff - Can this concept be, either shot down as not do-able, or can it be perused???

I don't think you need to do this unless you want to change the default settings of the amp selected. I've always understand that the under the hood "improvements" from one firmware to the next will be heard automatically.

Here is the problem I don't like about resetting amp blocks - it resets everything in the amp block i.e GEQ and Speaker parameters. I use a lot of Mark Day and Fremen presets and when I reset it changes these parameters which seem to have significant affect on the sound of these presets for me. Wish there was some way to reset amps with affecting those parameters. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent resetting amps and recopying GEQ and Speaker from Iphone pictures I've taken of each presets parameters.

Yes - The option to somehow "Reset all Amp Blocks" would be nice for this task - obviously this isn't as easy done as it is for me to write - I will assume Cliff would had built it in already if it were.

I would suppose, considering if the midi spec between the Axe Edit software and the hardware allows it, it could simply be a macro in Axe Edit.

BTW - Scripting within Axe Edit would be bad ass. You should open up an API.

Here is the problem I don't like about resetting amp blocks - it resets everything in the amp block i.e GEQ and Speaker parameters. I use a lot of Mark Day and Fremen presets and when I reset it changes these parameters which seem to have significant affect on the sound of these presets for me. Wish there was some way to reset amps with affecting those parameters. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent resetting amps and recopying GEQ and Speaker from Iphone pictures I've taken of each presets parameters.

but that's exactly why you are resetting it - those knobs may not do what they used to do, and you may not need the GEQ etc.

Could you make a copy somewhere of the presets you need to update, reset their amp block(s) and copy the amp blocks from the non-reset preset using Axe-Edit? Or would that negate the effect?

I don't think you need to do this unless you want to change the default settings of the amp selected. I've always understand that the under the hood "improvements" from one firmware to the next will be heard automatically.
If this is the case, that is awesome. Can someone confirm whether we need to reset or not?

Main rule is:
You only have to reset the amp block(s) when the firmware release notes "instruct" you to.

In some cases, for ex. with fw 12, changes are applied automatically.

With reset I mean: selecting another amp type and re-selecting the original again. It's not a complete block reset as in double-clicking Bypass.

There are other situations where you want to do this as well.
For example, to bring the amp block in an old preset back to current specs. This makes sure that values such Comp, Transformer etc. are correct again for the model.

Another situation is when you skipped fw versions. The release notes of the latest version may not mention anything about resetting, but those of the fw version you skipped may have.

Note that resetting the Amp sets back Master Volume to its default value for that amp. This can cause volume differences before/after.

Presence is unaffected. Depth will be reset and the GEQ as well.

Last edited:
When it is suggested in the release notes and you want to tweak the amp.

When something just doesn't sound quite right.

You don't have to mess with it if you are happy with the way it sounds.

Is this simply a question of redialing in parameters so that a preset in a new revision sounds the way you want it to or is that an old preset in a new revision may actually be corrupt under the new revision (i.e. parameters themselves may be out of synch with what's displayed on Axe-Edit or the front panel) until you reselect the amp?

For example, with the new grid modeling parameters in 12.0, is it possible that these new parameters could be affecting something other than grid modeling until I go in and reset the amp block and once the amp block was reset all parameters are now correctly affecting what they should be? ( This is just a crazy example to try to understand the basic problem at work here - I'm not saying that's happening.) Or is resetting the amp block just a quick way to get a bunch of parameters back to default so you can start from scratch and you really don't have to do it at all in order to have the parameters work as they are supposed to.

p.s. - thanks for the input so far

Is this simply a question of redialing in parameters so that a preset in a new revision sounds the way you want it to or is that an old preset in a new revision may actually be corrupt under the new revision (i.e. parameters themselves may be out of synch with what's displayed on Axe-Edit or the front panel) until you reselect the amp?

For example, with the new grid modeling parameters in 12.0, is it possible that these new parameters could be affecting something other than grid modeling until I go in and reset the amp block and once the amp block was reset all parameters are now correctly affecting what they should be? ( This is just a crazy example to try to understand the basic problem at work here - I'm not saying that's happening.) Or is resetting the amp block just a quick way to get a bunch of parameters back to default so you can start from scratch and you really don't have to do it at all in order to have the parameters work as they are supposed to.

p.s. - thanks for the input so far

It depends. If the scaling has changed on a parameter it might result in things being out of whack. That doesn't happen often and is noted in the release notes.
More often than not, it is a matter of adjusted default settings.

I reseted my amps and re-tweaked the settings back after i had updated to FW12. The difference was noticeable. FW12 version of the patch had more clarity, than the FW11 version. All the settings were the same. Although, i haven't touch in advanced settings on those patches. I'm sure, that some values in there are changed after the update.

So, i'd say. RESET the amp block. My patches sounded good after the update, but they got even better after the amp reset, with the same amp settings.

I reseted my amps and re-tweaked the settings back after i had updated to FW12. The difference was noticeable. FW12 version of the patch had more clarity, than the FW11 version. All the settings were the same. Although, i haven't touch in advanced settings on those patches. I'm sure, that some values in there are changed after the update.

So, i'd say. RESET the amp block. My patches sounded good after the update, but they got even better after the amp reset, with the same amp settings.

Right, the default values probably changed on that model. Now it could have made you patch sound worse if you had messed with the Advanced settings and had the tone where you liked.

Reactions: DTS
This all really is confusing...

It need not be.

Default settings maybe changed when the amp block gets changed in a firmware update.

If you like the way your amp sounds leave it, if you don't you can reset it and see if you like it.
If you don't like it when it is reset, don't save the preset, just go to another preset then back.

Read the firmware notes, if they tell you you may want to then you'll probably want to try. If not and everything sounds good, don't worry about it.

Right, the default values probably changed on that model. Now it could have made you patch sound worse if you had messed with the Advanced settings and had the tone where you liked.

I think you're right, it could have been the other way too.

Back
Top Bottom