When scene switching isn’t fast enough…..

We use them all of the time but as support for the band, not to replace instruments. If it's not on the stage, we don't have it in the backing tracks. I really don't pay much attention to them while playing, I'm more into the song and the moment.

If you're a solo act, there's probably a little more grace for using other instruments in the backing tracks. Depends upon the scenario and what you as an artist are trying to create for your audience. Any attempt to fool the audience wouldn't sit well with me personally, it's akin to lip-syncing.
My biggest peeve about backing tracks is when the band has laboriously long programmed intros in all of their songs and stand around looking at their shoes while the tracks play.

Hint, if you look bored, so are we!

My biggest peeve about backing tracks is when the band has laboriously long programmed intros in all of their songs and stand around looking at their shoes while the tracks play.

Exactly, you don't want backing tracks to take AWAY from your playing. You're the LEAD of the show not the track!

I remember reading an article that stated a guitarist should never be just waiting there looking around. He/she should always be interacting with the audience or playing the instrument. The crowd should not feel like they're watching TV at a sports bar when you're playing. They should feel like there's a performer in the house!

That brings me to another exciting point. Anyone want to share any tips how to keep a crowd focused on the player throughout the performance?

I think turning up the volume is #1. If you have no presence, your presence will not be felt.

How you dress and look matters too.

You should be animated. If you're stiff as a board, head down staring at the strings without ever looking up, you're considered a boring beginner.

A guitarist who moves with the beat and seems relaxed is infinitely easier to watch and listen to. If you look like your having fun so will the crowd.

The the art of stagecraft. But you can't work on stagecraft if you don't have your technique OWNED. So song practice is still #1.

Last edited:

Absolutely! I can understand having a droning synth or pad leading into a song or beginning of a concert, but to use tracked melodic lines borders on unprofessional for a live show IMO.

At what point does a BT fool people, and when doesn't it?
I wouldn't like secretly fake backing vocals. I mean, I might — just don't make it secret.

I remember when Toto took part in the Night of the Proms concert series in a few European countries (±2003).

I also remember some of them strongly speaking out against backing tracks.

Then in the newspaper it was said that some of our local artists there were surprised to detect they used backing tracks for some of it (I could imagine it was to have perfect backing vocals, for example — some of the keyboard stuff in Rosanna isn't that easy either, etc.). I didn't attend and hey, it's the newspaper, so I don't know if it's true, but the rumour has stuck with me ever since.

From some artists you expect and accept it — less so from Toto. Again, I will keep wondering if it was true. I've been too chicken to ask them straight on FB.

I could accept a one-off occurrence maybe... For some songs, I may even wish for it if I consider it essential. I guess it all depends...

Back
Top Bottom