When recording, are you guys using effects or adding effects later with plugin (or reamp with Fractal effects)?

Yes, I'm using Logic Pro and group my reamp and signal chain tracks set to remain tied together in this same way. After I've recorded a part, I'm using the full signal chain to listen to where the noisy sections are showing up, and when I comp the tracks, I am making the same changes to the DI track. Sometimes I also just record a silence and have it in my take folder, so I can splice dead silence into the gaps of the part, and then, I can print a new full signal chain take again, without handling noise or gain noise begin recorded before the first note. Again, if I've used delay, I'm also eliminating all the repeated instances of that sour note or noise by doing it this way.

I used to edit comp takes with the wet signal, but then I realized, if I've made a mistake in track A, and I comp it with a good note from track B, I will still hear that goofy note repeated in track A, if it was done with copious amounts of delay.

Cleaning up the source DI track itself is the only way I can fix sour notes, and all of the subsequent echos of it.

Incidentally, I renewed my Avid monthly subscription for ProTools. I am totally on a kindergarten level in protools. In logic, I'm about 8th-9th grade level. I was going to ask a silly question on the forum - how do I set up multiple tracks, and link them, so that they record enable simultaneously, and if I create multiple playlists for comp editing, all the other linked tracks will also have the same numerically identified playlists?

Specifically, I want to create 3 guitar tracks every time I record a part. I want a reamp/DI track, I want an AMP&CAB only, and I want a full signal chain track. The DI, and Amp/Cab will be mono. The full signal wet will be stereo.

If I play the song through, 3 times, and start comp editing from the playlists, I always want my 3 tracks to move in unison, so identical edits are made automatically.
Create groups. Alt click the bottoms of the tracks in the mix screen so they’re highlighted in white together. Then command + G. You’ll see a group assignment window pop up and you can customize just how grouped you want those tracks.

My experiment this week is to record direct to DAW using Bias FX as the monitor (using iPad), then reamping through the Axe 3, tweaking effects during certain parts on the Axe to see what I like. I’ll use the FC6 and expression to switch during parts of the song like, like a performance. I find my settings for live do not translate to recording as well, since I normally run L+R sum, live, so this seems like a logical solution. We’ll see.

I don't have a III, but with my AX8, I record four channels. 1) DI (mono) 2) After amp+cab (mono) 3+4) 100% wet post amp FX in stereo.

This allows me to control the level of the wet FX during the mix stage.

Reading this thread I was wondering if recording a wet and dry signal would be possible with the AX8, good to know it is! I'm curious as to how you're doing it. Would I just do an FX Loop out side-chained from the start of the signal chain if I wanted a DI signal?

Guys not quite on point but can I send the R and L channels separately into the DAW? I am thinking in mono - dual amp set up so I can bang out 2 slightly different tones and then mess with panning and verb/delay etc in the DAW - either for rhythm or leads. Then I don't have to reamp. Or easier just to send one DI and reamp again?

Everyone is different, but I like to set up my presets with all effects running BEFORE the amp, just like my real pedalboard and how I run it through my amps. I run everything in mono so I get separation when I mix. Sometimes I’ll tuck in a stereo delay or reverb in the DAW while mixing if a guitar needs to take up more space while still retaining its panned spot in the mix.

Try using a Looper at the front of your preset. Play the part and adjust your source tone while the Looper runs so you’ve got something killer going into your DAW. When the source tone is great, I find that a little goes a long way when adding effects with plugins.
Love the idea of using the looper to adjust your sound. Great idea :D

Guys not quite on point but can I send the R and L channels separately into the DAW? I am thinking in mono - dual amp set up so I can bang out 2 slightly different tones and then mess with panning and verb/delay etc in the DAW - either for rhythm or leads. Then I don't have to reamp. Or easier just to send one DI and reamp again?
Great question. I was wondering this too but didn’t take time to figure it out. I ended up just panning two amps with cabs into a stereo track in Logic X. Then I split the stereo track into two mono in Logic.

Yup,

That you can do easily,

In fact, unless I am remembering wrong, you can actually send two separate stereo signals into your DAW.
have one of the dual amp outputs go to output one, the other to output two.

Yup,

That you can do easily,

In fact, unless I am remembering wrong, you can actually send two separate stereo signals into your DAW.
have one of the dual amp outputs go to output one, the other to output two.

Thanks guys - can you be more specific on this in terms of how I would set up the outputs?

Thanks guys - can you be more specific on this in terms of how I would set up the outputs?

Here's the way I do it if I'm recording mono output from the AxeFX and want to record both wet and dry: In cubase I create a stereo input which has wet from the AxeFX on the left and dry on the right. That gives me both wet and dry of both in one stereo track. I then route the channels so I only hear the wet or only the dry. There's no setup on the AxeFX required. Doing it this way means if I do any edits on the audio, the edits are done to both the wet and dry, so if I later want to use the dry for reamping I can do so without losing any edits I made.

If I'm recording stereo, I'll use the conventional way of using folders, like you would do when recording drums. But for mono, I find using a single stereo track to capture both wet and dry is simpler.

Here's the way I do it if I'm recording mono output from the AxeFX and want to record both wet and dry: In cubase I create a stereo input which has wet from the AxeFX on the left and dry on the right. That gives me both wet and dry of both in one stereo track. I then route the channels so I only hear the wet or only the dry. There's no setup on the AxeFX required. Doing it this way means if I do any edits on the audio, the edits are done to both the wet and dry, so if I later want to use the dry for reamping I can do so without losing any edits I made.

If I'm recording stereo, I'll use the conventional way of using folders, like you would do when recording drums. But for mono, I find using a single stereo track to capture both wet and dry is simpler.

But what about wanting a mono track in DAW for each amp of a dual amp rig - ie one amp on right and one amp on left? So - 2 tones out of same take of tracking. I often use dual amp rigs and wanted more ability to mix, blend, effects in the DAW without having to re-amp. Or is this not worth it and I should just use a single amp rig and reamp?

But what about wanting a mono track in DAW for each amp of a dual amp rig - ie one amp on right and one amp on left? So - 2 tones out of same take of tracking. I often use dual amp rigs and wanted more ability to mix, blend, effects in the DAW without having to re-amp. Or is this not worth it and I should just use a single amp rig and reamp?

In cubase, I would just create a pair of mono inputs, one for the left signal and one for the right. Then record those into a pair of mono tracks. Or, record to a single stereo track and route the left and right to different paths in your DAW for separate processing. In either case, there's no setup required in the AxeFX.

In cubase, I would just create a pair of mono inputs, one for the left signal and one for the right. Then record those into a pair of mono tracks. Or, record to a single stereo track and route the left and right to different paths in your DAW for separate processing. In either case, there's no setup required in the AxeFX.

Ok I understand now. Thanks for clarifying.

Love the idea of using the looper to adjust your sound. Great idea :D
Using a Looper is one of the greatest tools for recording and dialing in live tones. When you’re sitting in front of your speakers playing guitar, you’re not just hearing your amp tone, you’re hearing the acoustic qualities of your guitar as well which will skew your perception of top end mostly. I find that a lot of people dial in darker tones than they need because they’re compensating for the added top end they’re hearing from their guitar while playing and then can’t figure out why their tone has the “blanket effect.”

Tweaking with a Looper gives you a clear picture of your actual sound. Also, if you’re dialing in a tone you’re gonna double, listen to it on just one side. You’ll tweak it differently and end up with a more balanced double tracked guitar tone.

Using a Looper is one of the greatest tools for recording and dialing in live tones. When you’re sitting in front of your speakers playing guitar, you’re not just hearing your amp tone, you’re hearing the acoustic qualities of your guitar as well which will skew your perception of top end mostly. I find that a lot of people dial in darker tones than they need because they’re compensating for the added top end they’re hearing from their guitar while playing and then can’t figure out why their tone has the “blanket effect.”

Tweaking with a Looper gives you a clear picture of your actual sound. Also, if you’re dialing in a tone you’re gonna double, listen to it on just one side. You’ll tweak it differently and end up with a more balanced double tracked guitar tone.
Awesome I can’t wait to try the looper for dialing in my tone. I’m so going to do this. I really want to say thank you for taking the time to help me with this great idea. I have been having a hard time just getting my axe Fx iii out because we are still displaced from hurricane Michael last year. Thanks for taking the time to help me with learning more about things that help with my sound. I really appreciate everyone out there In the fractal Community what a great help you all have been.
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom