When re-amping guitar tracks through USB, not possible to hear in context of mix, correct?

jerotas

Experienced
I am reading that there are 8 ins and 8 outs on the built-in interface through USB, however the only output that shows up in Sonar (running in ASIO mode) is FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver OUT 1. And yeah there's 2 stereo inputs that give you L/R or both, each.

If I don't change "Main Input Source" to "USB" on the AxeFx then I can hear the entire mix without any added effects, however once I switch that to USB, then I need to send over just the solo'd guitar track I want to re-amp (no need to re-amp the rest of the mix), which I can hear through headphones plugged into the AxeFx. That's fine and dandy, but unfortunately that means I only hear the re-amped guitar. Without being able to hear the re-amped signal in the context of the mix, it's going to take forever to get the tone right. Is there any way to be able to do that? If not, I don't really see the value of having a built-in interface at all.

I'm thinking it's only possible if I don't use the built-in USB interface of the Axe-Fx. Or has anyone else got this working somehow?

Do I have to Install Asio4all so I can also hook up my normal audio interface for "whole mix monitoring" at the same time? I'm running a Win10 laptop with ridiculous specs and the newest free Sonar.

I am reading that there are 8 ins and 8 outs on the built-in interface through USB

Which Fractal product are you using? The Axe-FX III's USB audio is is 8-in, 8-out but this is the Axe-FX II forum area.

Axe-FX II reamping while hearing the mix requires a separate interface, either in tandem (Asio4All/aggretate on Win/Mac) with the Axe-FX USB audio, or as the only audio device while getting signal to/from the Axe in another way (analog, SPDIF, AES).

Which Fractal product are you using? The Axe-FX III's USB audio is is 8-in, 8-out but this is the Axe-FX II forum area.

Axe-FX II reamping while hearing the mix requires a separate interface, either in tandem (Asio4All/aggretate on Win/Mac) with the Axe-FX USB audio, or as the only audio device while getting signal to/from the Axe in another way (analog, SPDIF, AES).
Yeah I have the 2 XL+. That explains it then! Thanks, I'll try with both interfaces next, because my normal interface doesn't have any SPDIF or AES.

Can you insert a send/return to the Axe? That’s how I do it in Logic.
You can send through an output and monitor/record on any track's input. But you need a separate output (and therefore a different interface as well) to hear the full mix, since there's only one output for the Axe-FX interface.

Last edited:
You can send through an output and monitor/record on any track's input. But you need a separate output (and therefore a different interface as well) to hear the full mix, since there's only one output for the Axe-FX interface.

What about the computers audio out? Can’t that be used for monitoring?

What about the computers audio out? Can’t that be used for monitoring?
The onboard computer audio card is a crappy SoundBlaster (I consider any built-in sound card crappy by the way - those are ok for watching movies or playing games but not recording). Also, since I'm running in ASIO because that gives no noticeable latency, any other sound cards you use as the same time have to have ASIO drivers as well. And I don't believe SoundBlaster has ASIO drivers?

Last edited:
Yes it can work. If you have a dry signal recorded from AXE USB 5/6; send it back in to AXe USB5/6 with input1 set to USB. You can then record the wet guitar signal on out1. The daw should also send the mix to out1, but that is kind of post-out1-block. Just make sure that you do not monitor your wet guitar signal through the DAW or you'll end up hearing it doubly with ugly phasing.

I'm on a mac with cubase tho, but i think its an AXE-only solution, not depending on DAW or OS.

Yes it can work. If you have a dry signal recorded from AXE USB 5/6; send it back in to AXe USB5/6 with input1 set to USB. You can then record the wet guitar signal on out1. The daw should also send the mix to out1, but that is kind of post-out1-block. Just make sure that you do not monitor your wet guitar signal through the DAW or you'll end up hearing it doubly with ugly phasing.

I'm on a mac with cubase tho, but i think its an AXE-only solution, not depending on DAW or OS.
How do you set input1 only to USB?

You have your headphones or speakers (to hear the whole mix) plugged into the AxeFx or where?

How do you set input1 only to USB?

Main screen > setup page > IO settings > audio page > Input 1 > set to USB. Manual page 159.

You have your headphones or speakers (to hear the whole mix) plugged into the AxeFx or where?

Yes into the Axe FX III headphone output.

Uhmmm __ I was talking about the III. But it looks like the II has the same options in the menu. Axe II Manual 148 - 149 tells you. Be sure to set the USB output level.

Last edited:
Main screen > setup page > IO settings > audio page > Input 1 > set to USB. Manual page 159.

Yes into the Axe FX III headphone output.
I have the Axe 2, as I said above. There's only a single input change field, not per input.

Yes. My bad. I guess you'll have to set MAIN INput to USB on the II. And turn up the USB return level.
Right, I did this already, and found out that I need to run ASIO4ALL so I can hear the full mix in context with the re-amp. I can plug my headphones into my onboard sound card to hear the mix.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom