When is the Guthrie Govan CHARVEL guitar gonna emerge????

Guthrie Govan | Charvel Guitars
not the info you're looking for, but this recent charvel posting states “He is currently road-testing a few Charvel models, and we are in the research and development phase of some possible future Charvel guitars.”

^ read that as nothing has been confirmed by charvel with regards to a signature model yet.
sounds like we're unlikely to see it in stores this year.

not the info you're looking for, but this recent charvel posting states “He is currently road-testing a few Charvel models, and we are in the research and development phase of some possible future Charvel guitars.”

^ read that as nothing has been confirmed by charvel with regards to a signature model yet.

i know it was posted just a few weeks ago, but it seems dated, as there are a few youtube videos where he is definitely touting it has his signature model. Charvel needs to do a better job of supplying info....not a great way to run a business.

The magazines are still currently ads with him and Vigier guitars. So maybe they are waiting for him to finish a current contract obligation.

I thought the Vigier was just for the fretless, no?

I just saw a video (sorry can't remember how or where I came across it, maybe it was a Music Zoo video?) where he was playing a newer prototype like the basswood birdseye maple topped build he had out with Steven Wilson. The standout feature on this one was rather than the Gotoh bridge with the bent saddles he'd been using, it had a Floyd without the fine tuners.

Last edited:
i know it was posted just a few weeks ago, but it seems dated, as there are a few youtube videos where he is definitely touting it has his signature model. Charvel needs to do a better job of supplying info....not a great way to run a business.

Actually they seem to have been getting a lot of promotion and a buzz across the guitar world as to what will happen. It's only just been announced fairly recently GG is an official Charvel artist and we still don't when that guitar will be released as a signature model or not. Seems like great marketing to me, there's a demand already, mainly through folks not really knowing what's happening.

Anyway he seems to like the neck stability with the double graphite rods. This isn't something Suhr tends to do so who knows what happened.

It's all fun to see how it plays out 8)

Yep, money talks. And, just trying something different after you've done most everything. Personally, I went from Charvels(custom shop models), to Suhrs last year. I took a chance because neck profiles are quite different. After a little getting used to the neck profile, I'm hooked. Suhr is a cut above Charvel to me. Fit, feel, finish. If I can drive a Ferrari instead of a Camaro, I'll do it. Both nice both get you there, true.

I had the please of witnessing this road testing earlier this month during the Aristocrats' tour in NJ.

The Charvel sounded great and so did the Suhr. :encouragement:

I just saw a video (sorry can't remember how or where I came across it, maybe it was a Music Zoo video?) where he was playing a newer prototype like the basswood birdseye maple topped build he had out with Steven Wilson. The standout feature on this one was rather than the Gotoh bridge with the bent saddles he'd been using, it had a Floyd without the fine tuners.

I was at that show! I had no idea about the bridge. Interesting. He sounds awesome regardless of what he's playing, but I'll stick with my (very close to GG spec) Suhr Modern, personally. Still interested in following the progress on a Charvel GG model though.
-
Austin

Why would you even call it a Charvel, it's made by who ever owns the Fender name currently. Leo sold, Grover sold, What was Charvel's 1st name??????,..he sold to Fender corp too. I have owned 2 crappy Charvels and am currently loving my new Suhr!

Nope Vigier also makes fretted instruments.

Shawn Lane and Bumblefoot have their signature models by Vigier.

I think the Suhr models are prettier.
The charvels have these huge holes for the pickup screws. Somehow that catches my eye every time and I think it's ugly. Weird because I used to like the San Dimas Charvels look. Somehow these look clunky, not so graceful. Headstock shape, body... I don't know. It just doesn't look right.

Guthrie said he left Suhr because of creative differences that Charvel apparently had no qualm with. Aside from custom pickups and the carbon rods in the neck these models have all the same appendages. Can't imagine Suhr opposing that.

His playing and tone were unbelievable with the Suhrs already...

in the market for new axe soon - i'll go for the new charvel if it plays as well as it looks (no doubt it will).
suhrs were always too fancy/over-the-top looking for my taste; the charvel looks understated and classy - although i'd rather see one without the birdseye maple top, and without the middle pickup.

Back
Top Bottom