When is it ok to sum L&R?

brokenvail

Fractal Fanatic
Thinking of trying Stereo for the first time at show and Friday and never done it before. I hear lots of talk about phase cancellation whenever the topic of stereo collapsing to mono comes up so I have to wonder when is it ever ok to sum L&R?

All that would be stereo is the rotary, and verb which would both have separation set to 100 and and I would use mono tape delay but set pan 1 hard left and pan two hard right.

All three of these are after amp and cab and verb and delay are in parallel

When I play mono, I always use Sum L+R.

It's just a matter of taking care to prevent phase cancellation.
By checking all presets on forehand.

Biggest culprit for sum problems is the phase reverse setting in the delay block. Outside of that I've always beenable to live with collapsing to mono for the monitor, but running stereo to FOH.

I always set sum L+R before I leave the house because no one has stereo FOH and I monitor thru a single clr. No issues I've noticed!?

I always use Sum L+R too - just give your presets a 'sanity check' beforehand to make sure you aren't losing anything.

I leave my XL+ setup for stereo not Sum L+R.

I create my presets in stereo with two CLR's on sticks.

When I play mono, I just use Out 1 L only. If the FOH is mono, I don't send two channels; just the one.

I do have some different delays panned L / R, IR's panned, and my reverb widths are all 100%. But nothing drastic that won't work for me with L only.

I never worried about FOH stereo vs mono before because i have always been using a mono rig... But I will soon be using only IEM to monitor and was planning to explore stereo.

What's the general experience on FOH? I'm not concerned about true stereo, but dual mono at least?

Thinking of trying Stereo for the first time at show and Friday and never done it before. I hear lots of talk about phase cancellation whenever the topic of stereo collapsing to mono comes up so I have to wonder when is it ever ok to sum L&R?

All that would be stereo is the rotary, and verb which would both have separation set to 100 and and I would use mono tape delay but set pan 1 hard left and pan two hard right.

All three of these are after amp and cab and verb and delay are in parallel

Short answer; Problematic would be all 2 channel (stereo) modulation/phase FX with a phase shift/invert on one channel..

Back
Top Bottom