When do you use an EQ block?

80sMetalDude

Inspired
With all the different places we can setup EQ...amp input/output, all the different places to low cut/hi cut....

Leaves me wondering...

Just when do you toss an actual EQ block in the chain?

I know there is no cut and dry answer I am looking for opinions :)

Honestly? Never.

I'll occasionally add an EQ block here and there, but often, I don't touch it.

I'll usually add one as the last thing BEFORE the amp just in case I think the signal hitting the amp needs to altering, and then one before my delay/reverb/output as a final tone shaping option before that stuff. Again, though, I usually end up not messing with them at all. I guess for the most part, I just pretty much tweak "knobs" and stuff to get the tone I want rather than getting approximately there and finishing off with an EQ.

Jason Sadites on the Helix forum has a TON of videos using the helix where he makes extensive use of numerous EQ blocks. While it's not the Axe Fx, you can definitley learn a LOT from that guy. Check out his YouTube vids!

Honestly? Never.

I'll occasionally add an EQ block here and there, but often, I don't touch it.

I'll usually add one as the last thing BEFORE the amp just in case I think the signal hitting the amp needs to altering, and then one before my delay/reverb/output as a final tone shaping option before that stuff. Again, though, I usually end up not messing with them at all. I guess for the most part, I just pretty much tweak "knobs" and stuff to get the tone I want rather than getting approximately there and finishing off with an EQ.

Jason Sadites on the Helix forum has a TON of videos using the helix where he makes extensive use of numerous EQ blocks. While it's not the Axe Fx, you can definitley learn a LOT from that guy. Check out his YouTube vids!
Thank you I was under the same impression regarding 'never' using them.... yet sometimes I see PEQ in downloaded presets and wonder what was the reason for using it and why people do with so many sound shaping options already offered. I will lookup that resource, thx.

Still want to hear opinions :)

The most common use I've seen and used is in conjunction with a Drive block. Even with the parameters available in the block, sometimes having a PEQ or GEQ in front of it seems to help shape and define the drive's tone in a way that sounds 'better'.

The most common use I've seen and used is in conjunction with a Drive block. Even with the parameters available in the block, sometimes having a PEQ or GEQ in front of it seems to help shape and define the drive's tone in a way that sounds 'better'.
Interesting, as you said even with the new EQ page in the drive block... so many options that is why I posted this thread as my ears are definately not trained enough to know if my sound sucks and 'hey I need to add an EQ block here or there.' I've been so happy with the built in EQ (input/output in amp block) that I've struggled with when/why I see them in presets... at some point it seems like so much modification to the signal that at some point analysis paralysis shows its head... and at that point are you making the preset/scene better or worse... only ears can be the judge of that I guess. Sorry for the ramble just a topic I definately am curious about.

I use a PEQ block to dial out harsh frequencies after the cab ; this video is a fantastic reference point for how to dial it in

The new GEQ options are great in this application too.

The amp block input EQ saves me having to use an eq before the amp.

@Leon Thx. And I have to say all you guys are awesome ... instead of all the "search is your friend" crap you will see on other forums. People here care about helping out fellow musicians.

If you have a separate path with pitch block, you can use EQ block after the pitch block to better dial out the power amp hampering sludge before your monitoring output and also the reduce the perception of digital splices or chipmunks in the treble range of the pitch block output.

You can use an EQ on a separate path to mimic the frequency response of your favorite DI box if you are trying to simulate an amp+Di setup.

If you are using the Tape delay with 100% mix on a separate path, you can use an EQ after it to simulate cheap tape, worn out tape, misaligned tape, or new tape used in the tape delay unit in a much more surgical manner than using the tone controls in the delay block.

I can't imagine NOT using EQ. One of the best ways to learn how EQ and distortion interact is to try this simple experiment:

Compare:

EQ-->OVERDRIVEN AMP

To:

OVERDRIVEN AMP-->EQ

I know our ears are the #1 critic of good/bad tone but does the RTA come into play as well for determining how you EQ?

I use both output 2 for FRFR and output 1 for power amp ad cab. I use an eq on output 1 path so that I get a fairly consistent sound between both sets of outputs.

Last edited:
I use both output 1 for FRFR and output 2 for power amp ad cab. I use an eq on output 2 path so that I get a fairly consistent sound between both sets of outputs.
I tried this same setup on my AX8 (before I had the AXE III) .. output1 going to an ASM12 and output2 going to Mesa 50:50 and 4x12 but never thought to try what you are doing in your config. Thanks! I still have the latter and it sits next to my setup asking for me to play with it sometimes just havent had the itch.... appreciate that info.

Last edited:
I tried this same setup on my AX8 (before I had the AXE III) .. output1 going to an ASM12 and output2 going to Mesa 50:50 and 4x12 but never thought to try what you are doing in your config. Thanks! I still have the latter and it sits next to my setup asking for me to play with it sometimes just havent had the itch.... appreciate that info.
Actually it is output 1 to amp and cab. I don't use this setup live. I just monitor myself through my wedge monitor.

I always use an EQ at the end of my chain, right before the output channels. For FOH, I can tweak on the fly for different PA systems. And I can tame a guitar cab's harshness or boom when needed.

Since I enjoy my AXE3 in my man cave in a very basic limited setup. I'm not in any situation (like ever) that causes thinking out of the box to make things sound right in different scenarios etc like @Tommy Tempest mentions, very clever. I appreciate all the info and already feel way less confused about the reasons for it. Makes total sense when you start hearing about the other use cases.

Yeah I read a lot of that thread in the past and asked recently if the amp input EQ basically covered that thread and the answer was yes from most people. My main focus here is when to use an EQ block and some of the answers are falling into place from some of these responses. Thanks again everyone.

Back
Top Bottom