When did Ernie Ball start NOT recessing all their backside plates???? Aweful!!!

Music Man haven’t had recessed backplates for well over a decade.

I had one of the first Steve Morse signature models and it wasn't recessed, that would've been mid/late 90s. They started recessing it not long after that model was first introduced.

Yes, yes I'm with you here....I won't consider buying a guitar without them. I love everything about them....

I've never even thought about recessed plates until this thread. Both my Suhr's don't have them and it's neither here nor there for me; I'm good either way I guess. I grew up playing a mid-70's Strat with a plate that stuck out so this has never been on my radar.
John Suhr recesses his control cavities, just not the trem cavity. Y'all missing the while point. I give 2 shits about the trem cavity....I always remove mine....talking other cavities.

The way most guitars are made nowadays there shouldn't be anything sticking up from the back. The 2 Carvins I have the electronics covers are flush and have a machine screw inserts installed which is a nice touch!

The trem cavity cover is not and I understand for some guitars the body thickness will dictate this as it can pose clearance issues for the trem block. The hard tail, the string feedthrough ferrules are sticking up... why this is I'll never understand. An extra few minutes of programming the CNC and that would have been remedied for good.

PRS stopped doing this as well on their S2 guitars. Given it's like this on the S2s and not the Cores, I'm assuming it's cost saving thing.

I agree: it looks shitty. And on a >$1500 guitar: no bueno.
I don't think the S2's are recessed. I have one from 2013 and it's not recessed. Lame.

I was wondering the same thing, having picked up an Axis and a Super Sport recently. Seems odd they don't recess it. But, I usually keep the trem cover off anyway, so it's not too big a deal for me.

Here is a $202 guitar with recessed cc plates (hard to find a budget guitar that doesn't have it). No excuse for any guitar not to have that really - citing cost reasons not to have it on high end guitars is ubserd - like saying yur new Mercedes SL will have hubcaps cuz yaknow doze fancy rimz is expensive to make eh! lol!

Sure, you like your control cavity and pickup selector cavity to be open then?
Well no then I guess not. I didn't think of the other two plates. I just looked at my guitars closure. I guess you either route out the back and use back plates or you route the top and cover it with a pick gard. Nobody going in sideways

The reason Music Man stopped recessing the neck plates is because it increases the risk of finish damage around that area. All the Music Mans I've seen or owned with recessed neck plates have had cracks and chips develop over time.

As their control and tremolo covers are relatively pieces of metal, I don't think it's a big issue that they're flat mounted. Again it protects the finish. I've seen a lot of damage to the finish around recessed control covers on guitars that have them.

All you “no cover” guys are going to change your tune when you catch your pubes in the trem springs. It’s incredibly painful.
( I’ve heard. )
No worries here. I use a standard 1/4” plug with my guitars. :D

Back
Top Bottom