When building your live patches (For PA+Cab, not FRFR)

Deltones

Experienced
Where do you check if your patch has what it takes? What I mean is this:

You

1) Kneel if front of your cab, let's say 6 feet away so you get the direct blast

2) Stand up a few feet away from your cab and off axis.

Etc, etc.

Laedan Kiana said:
#2 for me. I'm a selfish bastard and only care about what i hear though :mrgreen:

That's the thing. If I'm standing a few feet away and off axis of my cab, the sound I hear is the kind of sound I want to hear. But if I kneel a few feet away from my cab, on axis, then man, it's not so pleasant. Not necessarily because of the volume, but because the patch I find pleasing standing up is really bright and shrill in the direct line of fire.

That's why I want to know where, traditionnally, a guy would check the sound of his cab to consider that yep, this is a good sound for live and also good for miking the cab.

Deltones said:
That's the thing. If I'm standing a few feet away and off axis of my cab, the sound I hear is the kind of sound I want to hear. But if I kneel a few feet away from my cab, on axis, then man, it's not so pleasant. Not necessarily because of the volume, but because the patch I find pleasing standing up is really bright and shrill in the direct line of fire.
I haven't yet used a guitar cab where this wasn't true. I'm tempted to say: nature of the beast.

Deltones said:
That's why I want to know where, traditionnally, a guy would check the sound of his cab to consider that yep, this is a good sound for live and also good for miking the cab.
Traditionally? With the cab in the boomiest corner of the room, pointing at his ankles and the guy hung over and ears ringing from the gig he played way too loud the previous night. That's my experience anyway. Maybe someone has better tips for you, but I'd try to avoid sending the ice picks of death to the audience standing right in front of your cab.

Jay Mitchell said:
There's a way to deal with this:

http://www.tgpwebzine.com/?page_id=424 .

We've discussed this here before. I use directivity modifiers on my tube amps. The vast majority of the folks who try them get good results. A few do not. If you try them and don't like them, I offer a money-back guarantee. :lol:

I have to say, I finally got around to installing this mod to my 2x12 cab. It's remarkable how much of a difference it makes. I can stand pretty much anywhere in my studio and get the same tone. It's still a hair louder on axis, but the basic tone is the same off axis. First gig with it is tomorrow night, so we'll see how it goes. Sure seems like it will be an improvement since vocals are the only thing we have in PA. :cool:

I have always tuned my presets head on and dealt with the off axis tone being not so bright. Jay's directivity modifiers make a lot of sense and if I were still using a guitar cab on stage would probably be using them.

I would venture to say using FRFR (even the Atomic FR traditional style cab) helps in this respect to some degree. The amount of dispersion and wider angle of coverage is much better than with a standard guitar cab.

This is why i gave up using and why i hate speaker cabs. If i was on stage, maybe a 4 foot high one in a club, there was always some poor bugger in the front row of the audience having my 4x12 blasting those ice picks in their face and consequently screwing their face up all night :(

Here's a pic of the donuts I installed. It aint pretty, but man what a difference it made at the gig Friday night. I had my volume lower than I normally do, and heard myself way better than normal. It's a keeper in my book :cool:

rig009.jpg

Back
Top Bottom